back to article Nokia to Oz: 5G will need fibre, and lots of it

Any time the politics of the National Broadband Network arises, someone with a bagful of buzzwords and a spoonful of clue will claim that wireless is going to make fibre obsolete. It shouldn't be necessary to refute that old chestnut, but it is, so Vulture South is pleased that Nokia's Oceania head of mobile networks has cold- …

1. Knoydart

So 93% FTTP is the right build mix

You know it, I know and Nokia knows it. Funny how Malcome Turnbull doesn't know it.

I feel for the poor souls inside nbn co who have to live with the MTM build on their CVs for the rest of thier working lives.

1. mathew42
      FAIL

Re: So 93% FTTP is the right build mix

There are many good reasons for FTTP, but 5G isn't one of them.

For your statement to be true it requires that a 5G base station is installed in a very high percentage of premises. It is more likely that nodes (e.g. FTTN) will provide about the right level of distribution for 5G.

The biggest improvement in internet speeds rural speeds since 2007 has come not from the NBN, but from the backhaul links that were installed across the country making it viable for ISPs to install their own DSLAMs in smaller townships.

1. Likkie

"The biggest improvement in internet speeds rural speeds since 2007 has come not from the NBN, but from the backhaul links that were installed across the country..."

Your argument is help massively by the fact that hardly any rural areas have NBN.

2. P. Lee

That depends on the application.

If everyone in your family wants to connect / stream 4k home movies over 5G, then FTTP sounds like a great plan.

How about if I want to (shock horror) set up my own website for my home business or even just run a home-based remote desktop at a reasonable speed?

Think what opportunities open up for ISPs to provide cloud services before all that traffic hits their transit links.

These infrastructure projects are about getting things right for the next 10-20 years. Look at the last 10-20 and see what kind of increases you need to plan for. It isn't even just about the speed. Whatever speed you want to run at, fibre is going to do it, and you will have to roll it out at some point anyway.

1. mathew42

> Whatever speed you want to run at, fibre is going to do it

Unless you put speed tiers on the fibre resulting in 79% connecting at 25Mbps or slower

> you will have to roll it out at some point anyway

For the less than 1% that Labor predict will connect at 1Gbps in 2026?

2. huaptec

Nokia will be a history?

As for the 5G latency, Nockia was a history.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nokia will be a history?

You do know that Nokia is more than just an extinct brand of cellphone don't you? - they didn't spend the best part of 19 billion Euro buying Alcatel-Lucent just for the hell of it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like