back to article iOS10 bloatware deletion

Apple will allow users to delete bloatware such as Stocks, iBooks, iCloud Drive, Contacts and many others in iOS10. The OS update also grants users the ability to send enlarged emojis on a single line of text and add the option to send GIFs and stickers. ®

1. Andy Non Silver badge

I wish Google would follow suit with Android. My tablet is so bloated with Google apps I don't want, never use and can't remove that there is no room left to download apps I do actually want to download and use.

1. barstewardsquad

I wish Google would follow suit with Android. My tablet is so bloated with Google apps I don't want, never use and can't remove that there is no room left to download apps I do actually want to download and use.

You can on the newer Nexus devices such as the 6p.

Of course crApple will be suing Google for this even though Google had the feature last September

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Of course crApple will be suing Google for this even though Google had the feature last September"

Does stupid like this always emerge when you open your mouth or does it just happen online?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I agree some of that is bloatware, but Contacts?

The question I have is, if you delete one of those apps does it actually free up space? Or does it just hide the app? If the latter, then this really isn't any different from the current strategy of sticking the stuff you don't want in a folder or a faraway screen you never visit.

1. Darryl

Re: I agree some of that is bloatware, but Contacts?

From what I've read, it looks suspiciously like the icon gets hidden, but the app is still sitting there taking up space. So you're right - no different that stuffing them all into my 'Apple Shit' folder hidden away on the 2nd screen

2. Fitz_

Re: I agree some of that is bloatware, but Contacts?

As they are listed on the Apple Store to re-download, it looks like they will free up space while allowing Apple to update individual apps without an entire iOS upgrade.

3. DrXym

This is probably not the reason why

I bet iOS is starting to use up all the space in its fixed system partition so they're shedding some apps in the hope they can go longer before doing something more drastic.

I don't see it helps users much since anything in the system partition is basically not using space in the user partition. But by moving these apps to the user partition, people who install them end up using up more space.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon