back to article Telegram crammed: Hackers find way to send massive messages

Researchers have found what they say is a flaw in Telegram that allows messages of any size to be sent. The unpatched flaw demonstrated in a proof-of-concept shows how attackers can send mesages of any size over the popular encrypted communications app by skirting restrictions. Telegram has been contacted for comment. …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Danny 14

Re: Have some fun?

your definition of fun and mine differ greatly.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Telegram?!

This trend for naming apps after real things- please STOP

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Telegram?!

I agree...I'm at that age that I actually know what a real telegram is, so therefore was completely confused by this article until it was pointed out it's an app.

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Stop

I agree...I'm at that age that I actually know what a real telegram is, so therefore was completely confused by this article until it was pointed out it's an app.

Same here. My first thought was that the "hack" was just to omit the word STOP at the end of the message so that everything sent thereafter would be treated as a continuation of the same message.

+++ NEW TECHNOLOGY BAFFLES OLD COMMENTARD STOP MUST TRY TO KEEP UP WITH THE KIDS STOP NOW GET OFF MY LAWN STOP +++

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

and I'm sure Articles about Windows confuse you equally...and Chrome...and Exchange, and Outlook and......Oracle and Sun, and well stuff about Apple...well that's not half as tasty or granny smith like as you thought eh?

1. Paul Kinsler

As a long time slackware user, headlines referring to some newfangled "slack" thing/app are also irritating, since they are both IT-ish. It's not that I don't quickly get the new context, it's just that "slack" generates a sort of brain interrupt that I could do without unless the article really was slackware related (like, when 14.2 is finally announced, or something).

2. Humpty McNumpty

There is nothing tasty about a granny smith..

1. Mark 85

There is nothing tasty about a granny smith..

Wrong... they are best for apple pie. Presuming of course, that you are speaking of the granny smith apple and not granny smith who lives down the road.

1. LINCARD1000
              Devil

Wrong... they are best for apple pie. Presuming of course, that you are speaking of the granny smith apple and not granny smith who lives down the road.

Oh, I don't know...

BRB, checking on my fava beans and a nice Chianti.

3. Rol

Apart from Telegram, all of your examples had no links to IT, and therefore couldn't create confusion when later applied to IT products

Telegram, was perhaps the IT of its day and thus any later use just fuddles the mind.

I remember when we first started gardening on Mars, and how we laughed at the confusion when we talked about the poor quality of the earth.

3. MachDiamond Silver badge

Little Brother

A real world exploit from a book by Cory Doctorow. Nice.

Maybe a few people will start considering if installing yet another app is really worth it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't understand why the world needs so many different proprietary messaging apps. The internet was built on open communication protocols, SMTP, IRC, FTP etc.

1. Adam JC

I can answer all 3 of those quite easily. Infact, I can answer that with one simple word. Encryption.

Neither SMTP nor IRC or FTP support encryption in their default flavours.

WhatsApp is owned by Facebook, which means they can scoop up all of your phone contacts with relative ease.

Facebook Messenger is... well, owned by Facebook. Same as above applies.

As for Telegram, the source code is available openly; https://github.com/DrKLO/Telegram

Need we be reminded that up until a year or so ago, WhatsApp chats weren't encrypted...?

1. Aoyagi Aichou

I use Telegram, but not for security - it's because of the featureset. If I was deeply concerned about security, I don't think I would trust their homegrown "unproven" crypto, or their yet-to-be-opensourced server. The code that's available is just for the clients.

On the other hand, Moxie said is "confident" in WhatsApp's encryption since he was involved in developing and implementing it.

5. The Vociferous Time Waster

Telegram

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Oh dear. Is this yet another vector for malware unwanted W10 updates?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I affected?

I always use Telegram for contacting friends, now I think I should rethink about using it again.

Does this affect all users?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like