back to article Apple launches HomeKit app – but where are the products?

Apple has finally launched its internet-of-things (IoT) smart-home service with a new mobile app called "Home." The only problem? A distinct lack of products to work with. Speaking on stage at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco earlier today, senior VP of software engineering Craig Federighi outlined a …

1. Mr_Happy

No Junk Folder Needed

on iOS 10 Apple allows you to hide some of the default apps, no need for an Apple Crap folder, and then 'redownload' them from the App Store when required, magically you can download them again while in AirPlane mode

HomeKit is a great idea, someone needed to get all the incompatible systems talking to each other but Apple isn't pushing this hard enough, why did it take them two years to launch their own app?

2. Mr_Happy

Apple Junk Foder Not Required

At last on iOS 10 you can 'delete' most of the apps you don't want instead of hiding them in the Apple Crap folder, and then magically download them again from the App Store even while in AirPlane mode when required

HomeKit is a good idea just not pushed hard enough by Apple, someone had to get all the incompatible systems talking to each other, but why did it take Apple two years to launch their own app?

3. Christopher Lane

Echo...

Echoooo...

4. Uberseehandel

IOT does not play nice and is a security threat

Most of the smart domestic devices I have encountered to date has to be banished to its own, separate wireless network, for performance and security reasons.

Even the IOT companies based in the Bay area know less than nothing about how networks and Wi-Fi operate, and have no regard for security or the need to issue and install security patches.

It is only a matter of time before a vacationer returns to find that the heating has been turned to maximum volume and the freezers powered off. Or that smart voice activated alarm clock starts publishing the otherwise private conversations it overhears.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: IOT does not play nice and is a security threat

Computers are a security threat, period.

Generally speaking people will be interested in vulnerabilities they can make money off, so while senseless vandalism attacks will doubtless happen - cue a BBC news story about a rash of such attacks by teenage hackers - I don't see that aspect being the big worry.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: IOT does not play nice and is a security threat

"Most of the smart domestic devices I have encountered to date has to be banished to its own, separate wireless network, for performance and security reasons."

Please name names and give reasons.

"Even the IOT companies based in the Bay area know less than nothing about how networks and Wi-Fi operate, and have no regard for security or the need to issue and install security patches."

The SDKs from silicon vendors include strong crypto, OTA update support etc.. Amazon's IoT service requires strong crypto. You are talking out of your arse.

"It is only a matter of time before a vacationer returns to find that the heating has been turned to maximum volume and the freezers powered off."

Nothing stops a standard house from having the windows smashed in, the water and gas pipes leaking, circuit breaker tripping. IoT could actually solve those problems.

"Or that smart voice activated alarm clock starts publishing the otherwise private conversations it overhears."

The various other devices like mobile phones, computers etc could be used to do exactly the same thing.. why are you suddenly worried about it now?

BTW What does your "OMG THE SKY IS FALLING IN!!! GET THE EMP OUT BEFORE SOMEONE STEALS MY DATAS!" rant have anything to do with the article?

5. Fihart

How about fixing the iPhone keyboard ?

I noted from coverage elsewhere that the Apple announcement included some nonsense about emojis. They might better have spent the time revamping the keyboard -- at least back to the usability of the one on the old iPhone 3G.

1. Tony Paulazzo

Re: How about fixing the iPhone keyboard ?

nonsense about emojis

Just come back to the Apple fold (getting more customers coming in 'cause ios is no longer the 'just works' it used to be), time to relearn the eco system.

Was pleased to see you could finally dl a swype style keyboard (along with dire warnings about the devs being able to see everything you type on it), but its usage is spotty at best - the apple keyboard will pop up for certain passwords, no microphone on the new keyboard, I'd forgotten how constraining Apple products are.

Everything seems to be bloating too, bought a 16GB, but exchanged it for a 64GB version as you started off with 11GB, not many apps, some music and vids and poof, gone! (John Lewis FTW - allowing me to upgrade) - and now 10 sounds even worse for the bloat (and notice how many devices are not getting the upgrade).

I do love the fingerprint sensor though, and the quality of the screen...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: How about fixing the iPhone keyboard ?

>but its usage is spotty at best - the apple keyboard will pop up for certain passwords,

That sounds like a feature not a bug, if you can't trust the vendor of a 3rd party keyboard.

>no microphone on the new keyboard, I'd forgotten how constraining Apple products are.

Allowing 3rd party developers to use the Siri APIs has only just been announced at this WWDC, so it is possible that 3rd party iOS keyboards will allow voice input soon. Maybe.

6. Mage Silver badge

HomeKit

So they launch a something for Home based IoT

Why do the stupid IoT gadgets need more than a secure browser interface? Assuming people are conned into buying them?

There is an argument for use of a simpler (to run in less RAM & Flash) secure protocol and support the various SRD UHF bands. But does Homekit actually do that?

This is hardly going to boost sales.

7. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Apple's attitude to third parties – where it dictates terms and expects people to follow them – has not worked out so well in other markets

It seems to have worked well in the audio peripheral market- the 3rd party 'made for iPod/Phone' - headphones and speaker dock market.

I'm an Android user, and in most stores the selection of iPhone headsets is much wider. They only ever half work with Android phones ( because a, Apple is awkward and b, even within individual Android vendors, the implementation of the 3.mm audio input/output socket varies)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

The whole WWDC has been a bit meh. Name change and siri wow real game changer. Last few iOS and OS X versions have been patchy at best. This homekit sounds like a good idea, but only the rich and famous will be able to afford remotely unlocking doors and opening windows etc

9. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Just "Home"? Not "iHome"? What's going on?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like