back to article Bendy see-thru mobes? Materials scientists make nanofilm advance

Researchers have created a new flexible nanomaterial film that boasts a “world record” combination of transparency and electrical conductivity, making it an ideal candidate for roll-up touchscreens. Transparent nanomaterial films have been used for bendable screens before. Lenovo showcased its CPlus, a flexible phone that can …

1. Paul Webb

I was looking forward to this...

Ffor almost a second until I realised the display will just be filled with ads.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As soon as flexible screens are perfected...

...the race will be on to create the first one that can have the creases in it ironed out. Until that's possible, they are going to be a niche technology.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: As soon as flexible screens are perfected...

Think of the action of a steel tape measure. Now imagine the tape measure being only about 8" long, but 8-10" wide. A roll-out screen. Now pack the gubbins of a smartphone into a "block", 8-10" long and maybe 1-2" cross-section. Or smaller.

3. Queeg

Meh!

Old news

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/earthfinalconflict/images/9/99/Global.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110929150742

:)

1. User McUser

Re: Meh!

I always liked the way the Globals had two pull-stops on the screen. Pull it out half way for normal use, or all the way for side-by-side apps or a wider single app.

2. illiad

Re: Meh!

earthfinalconflict is still a SCIFI series though...

4. captain veg Silver badge

what is going on with that hand?

Looks like the skin has been carefully scalded over a rectangular area, and then the poor victim get electro-zapped across it. Some new "enhanced interrogation" technique?

-A.

1. vir

Re: what is going on with that hand?

Since I don't want to pay $9 to rent the article for 48 hours, I'm going to guess that they applied the film to someone's hand and that the red color you're seeing is the actual sheet itself. From the abstract, the sheet resistance is 0.42 ohms/square, which would roughly equate to a corner-to-corner resistance of 1 ohm. In the lower right-hand picture, you can see a little light off to the side with the electrodes applied (and presumably carrying the current to drive it), which appears to show that the patch is indeed conductive.

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: what is going on with that hand?

" I'm going to guess that they applied the film to someone's hand and that the red color you're seeing is the actual sheet itself. "

Your guess is consistent with the relevant figure caption in the article "Images of CuEW-TCEs (duration of the first electrospinning stage t1st = 30 s) transferred to a human hand and ..."

5. Bob Dole (tm)
    Thumb Up

Quick...

Someone patent using this tech for making band aids that allow ads to be displayed alongside your favorite super hero.

6. TRT Silver badge

The fibre shoots out like a rapidly coiling noodle

Touched by the breath of FSM.

7. Mike 16

It'll be great

For the direction (and Ad) displays in the isinglass curtains of my flying car, which has been "coming soon now" for about the same amount of time.

1. captain veg Silver badge

Re: It'll be great

Isinglass curtains? Is that like beer goggles or something?

-A.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We've already had bendy mobiles...

The iPhone 6 Plus.

9. DropBear

The Next Big Breakthrough In Battery Tech would like to let Bendable Displays know that it's been standing in the Any Day Now line waiting for far longer and is not taking kindly to it trying to jump the queue, especially considering the queue has been stuck for decades now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon