back to article Whitman deletes another chapter in HP history as CSC and ES borg

Hewlett Packard Enterprise CEO Meg Whitman is dismantling another legacy bequeathed to her by a predecessor as she waves goodbye to Enterprise Services. The first lady of Palo Alto has already closed the chapter opened by one-time CEO Carly Fiorina who had signed off the buy of Compaq, only for HP's PC business to be ejected …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this a cunning plan from Meg

to get on as many boards as possible?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is this a cunning plan from Meg

or a very large turnip.

AFAIR Meg's predecessor wanted to split HP, but got thrown out and Meg instated with the catchphrase "One HP"...

"Two HP", "Three HP",...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Is this a cunning plan from Meg

Yep, it's not been THAT long since Meg was saying "we're better together" and that "OneHP" was the answer.

Even when it was whole, HP was so siloed the mention of "OneHP" raised many a smile amongst employees...

2. andrewj

You don't grow a company by hacking limbs off. The only way they could be turned around is by being allowed to innovate again.

Meg is as dismal at running the company as Failorina was.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think you have to get rid of the units that were not producing growth, while at the same time consuming lots of management attention. I think this is probably the right move for HP, and it does allow them to rebuild relationships with their distribution partners.

Hopefully once they are focused on the partners and equipment customers, a new round of product improvements and innovation can occur.

1. Vic

not producing growth, while at the same time consuming lots of management attention

Yeah, those two are often strongly-correlated. Can't think why...

Vic.

2. Erik4872

"The only way they could be turned around is by being allowed to innovate again."

I think that's part of it. EDS may be or may have been a semi-reliable ATM for the rest of HP, but I doubt it. Any time I've ever had any dealings with the EDSes of the world, I've been amazed at just how many highly-paid project managers and account executives have been involved. So they may offshore the actual work to the cheapest, lowest quality place they can find, but they need to keep all those account executives, PMs, technical liaisons, escalation managers, senior escalation managers, VPs of service delivery, etc. paid well and flying around the world.

It's the consulting model -- Accenture, EDS, CSC, IBM, and all of them do it. Every engagement has three tiers:

- Insanely compensated senior management who sell the dream to the executives

- An army of new graduate, no-experience PowerPoint-wielding 24 year old analysts, consultants, PMs and what have you flying 48 weeks out of the year, billable to the client, to be the public face of the project

- Offshore minions in cheap country of the week doing any work that is necessary

The problem is that those top two tiers are expensive and I think companies aren't as willing as they were to pay for it anymore.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

this may actually be useful in a cloud-component world

In a world where you have no integration but components on the cloud plugged together by people who can manage projects and understand business and technology. The coders would remain in the background and they would be culled -- only the truly gifted would survive.

1. Vic

Re: this may actually be useful in a cloud-component world

In a world where you have no integration but components on the cloud plugged together by people who can manage projects and understand business and technology.

This world does not exist - and never will.

There's always integration - it's just not always as abvious in some cases. And if it's not obvioous, guess what happens? And when it gets forgotten, guess what happens?

Vic.

3. Erik4872

Maybe IT services just isn't worth it anymore?

I'm sure this is just another bonehead move on the HP executives' part, or more likely their management consultants from McKinsey or similar. But...could it be that companies are starting to wake up and realize that deals with these mega-outsourcers never go as planned? Seriously, I've worked for providers as well as companies who partake in IT services outsourcing. The weird wall that builds up between the two companies causes IT progress to slow to a crawl. One side is trying to get away with as little work as they can for maximum cost, and the other is trying to minimize cost by refusing to pay higher rates for better service. This is always a recipe for disaster unless the company involved really has no interest in IT investment and just needs to keep the lights on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe IT services just isn't worth it anymore?

Aside: I've seen that happen within firms as well, whether there's explicit chargebacks or no.

4. Idomeneus

HP never knew what to do with EDS. They used EDS to "stuff" unnecessary equipment and software into proposals. When that failed, they simply ignored ES. Now they are selling it to CSC, the "carneys" of government contracting.

I'm glad I've already found a way off a becalmed, and now sinking, ship.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

CSC, the "carneys" of government contracting...

Keep up, CSC sold the Federal Extortion Unit down the river last November.

Its commercial suckers only now.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Idomeneus

"CSC, the "carneys" of government contracting."

Literally spat coffee on my laptop - well played sir well played.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Execs are worth every penny of their salary, bonus and shares...

"back in 2008 when HP paid $13.9bn for EDS - it would later write down the value of the business by $8bn in summer 2012"

Oh hang on. No they are not. They are incompetent vultures, filling their pockets with cash, whist fucking over anything and everything they can.

7. G4FUJ

Merge?

I think this is another sellout, just as the EDS/HP "merger"...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like