back to article Now Google backs everyone's favorite trade pact: The TPP

Global ad provider Google has come out in favor of the controversial Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade agreement. The web giant's general counsel Kent Walker noted in a blog post that the agreement "is not perfect" and decried the lack of transparency that has dogged the process, but argues that it "recognizes the Internet …

1. Salts

Sigh ...

Spelling -- favor!

1. KroSha

Re: Sigh ...

US article, written by US Reg hack, ergo US spelling.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

"TPP requires the 12 participating countries to allow cross-border transfers of information and prohibits them from requiring local storage of data"

So what effect does this have on privacy laws?

1. frank ly

It means we all get to use secure encryption with key pairs provided by our governments to protect us from nosey foreigners.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So what effect does this have on privacy laws?

Google being favour strongly suggests it removes any semblance of privacy, they would otherwise not be interested.

3. rtb61

Country A owns Country B's data, Country A has a dispute with Country B. Country A to Country B, "Fuck You We Own Your Data, access you hospital records now fuckers", hundreds of thousands of people die in country B due to inability of hospitals to service patient needs, those requirements stored in the cloud in Country A.

Country A also has laws allowing it's agents to legally corrupt data in other countries if it is in the national interest of Country A and that includes Country A's corporations profits, and that is a fact especially when Country A is America and everyone else is Country B.

Seriously, how stupid can people be.

4. Steve Graham

RE: So what effect does this have on privacy laws?

Companies will choose to host data in the jurisdiction with the slackest controls.

This is why Google like it. In fact, given the master/servant relationship between Google and the Obama administration, Google probably wrote it.

5. WalterAlter
      FAIL

Time to Craterize the Bilderberg Hotel

NAFTA resulted in the loss of around 5 million U.S. manufacturing jobs and the TPP will dramatically increase the losses.

40 million more U.S. jobs could be sent offshore over the next two decades if the current trend deindustrializing America continues under TPP, notes Professor Alan Blinder of Princeton University.

In addition to sending jobs offshore, the TPP will significantly decrease the wages of non-college degree workers.

TPP is about the global elite not only owning everything but also reducing humanity to a state of grinding poverty. People on the edge of starvation and homelessness are less concerned with liberty and overthrowing the elite and their minions than merely surviving.

40 million more U.S. jobs could be sent offshore over the next two decades if the current trend deindustrializing America continues under TPP, notes Professor Alan Blinder of Princeton University.

“The TPP’s implications on the poor and working class of the United States are grave and serious. From information gathered thus far it is known that the TPP would drive down wages even further,” writes the Rev. Bruce Wright, President’s Commission on Ending Homelessness.

The corporate trade agreement will create a “potentially dramatic increase in poverty, unemployment, and homelessness due to decreasing wages, further joblessness, and increased health costs.”

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Time to Craterize the Bilderberg Hotel

"TPP is about the global elite not only owning everything but also reducing humanity to a state of grinding poverty."

And with SpaceX to provide the transport, Bigelow to provide the accommodation, we could be within a decade or two of the "haves" living in luxury while the planet is polluted to hell and back and the "have nots" live in squalor. I've seen the documentary (insert dystopian future of choice, there are plenty of variations)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well the fact is due to automation there is probably going to be a lot less jobs regardless in the future. Instead of having an honest conversation about it instead as usual we fight over other largely irrelevant stuff and a handful of pigopolists in places like Silicon Valley own companies worth billions with 40 employees.

1. Charles 9

I would call a lot of voters' livelihoods pretty damn relevant, especially in an election year. What's a country to do when more and more of its citizens can't earn their daily bread anymore?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Internet has revolutionized how people can give away their information to corporations without really noticing, and the TPP promotes the free gathering of personal information in ways that are unprecedented for a binding international agreement

The TPP allows 'merican businesses to turn people into products both at home and abroad. The more ads we sell abroad, the more higher-paying jobs we can offshore. It's that simple.

4. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Should be caned on principle

The way it has been "negotiated" is an affront to democracy EVERYWHERE and for that reason alone it should be slapped down.

What if it has benefits? Does not matter. Our political leaders and their Machiavellian ministers who negotiated and/or supported this need to be told in no uncertain terms that secrecy is not acceptable. After every round of negotiation the whole document should have been published as "draft" for the world to see so the next round has a democratic input. Nothing is perfect, but as it stands my MP (good or useless) can't go and look at it and bring a copy of bits back to me for discussion. It stinks of corruption.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Should be caned on principle

That's a ridiculously old fashioned attitude and a complete misrepresentation of the political process.

No politicians or Machiavellian ministers negotiated this deal.

It was written by a bunch of corporations and their lobbyists and then given to the politicians to sign if they wanted funding for their re-election campaign and some nice directorships after they retire.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can we even officially read it yet?

I see Google have read it, but I bet most MPs haven't had access to it. I don't remember voting for Google or indeed an election when they became our leaders.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Can we even officially read it yet?

The vast majority of internet users have voted. Mostly by not changing their default search engine, and a few by selecting a different search engine.

I would like to say "Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy", but I suspect the other guy read his copy and didn't even bother to tell us what to think.

1. a_yank_lurker

I suspect that most users are not fully aware of the implications of TPP for them. Most of this blame should be placed on the politicians/criminals and their toadies in the general media who do not want the plebes to know they are about to royally screwed again so the elites can have it better.

2. RyokuMas
        Devil

"The vast majority of internet users have voted. Mostly by not changing their default search engine..."

Nooo, most people just go with the default, not realising what it entails. As Microsoft before them with IE, so Google should be forced to alert people that there are alternate search engines on first use of search, provide information on the ramifications of each possibility and allow a choice.

But no. Especially while we have so many people in the tech sphere who are so mired in the past (ie: the browser wars) and still have a chip on their shoulders toward Microsoft that they cannot see what has happened with Google - or choose not to.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I see Google have read it, but I bet most MPs haven't had access to it."

They wouldn't, TTP is US and to the east, TTIP is US and to the west. Different acronym, different countries, but the same shite. And, no, MPs couldn't be bothered to read something with so many words and so few pictures.

As for our privacy concerns, they all* just voted to to for a UK.STASI and to spy on all we do online and via the post, after opting themselves out of course, why would they bother if US corps had access our private lives too?

A pox on them all. I'm not extreeme, so I wouldn't want a big pox on them, small pox should do.

* Some smaller parties didn't, but ConLabs did.

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

but I bet most MPs

You are mistaking the Eu version with the Pacific one. The Pacific is now public (so we can see what the Eu one will have in it), while the Eu is still NDA-ed.

1. I would not worry about it too much. With the current poll results, UK is going out of the EU so it will have to negotiate its own agreements with the USA outside the scope of the Eu agreement, so the fact that the MP has not seen it is irrelevant.

2. In the absence of Cameron pushing the Eu agreement it is totally dead in the water with the rest of Europe. That is one of the main (and real) reasons why we had as much as an Obama visit to show support. I am surprised that the liberals and greens on the continent have not figured that out and have not started cheering for BrExit for all its worth just because of that.

3. An outside-of-Eu UK will have to "negotiate" its own agreement with USA and frankly, I would prefer not to even contemplate what it will entail. Any ideas of such nasty things as Sugar Tax, Privacy, Democracy, Rule of Law, etc should be abandoned outright and we might as well disband the house of Parliament - the country will end up being run by Macdonalds and Google marketing departments. According to the UK-specific and "improved" version of said treaty (which the rest of Europe will tell USA to shove it where the sun does not shine). So from that perspective, did your MP see it or not is once again - irrelevant.

1. Artaxerxes

We're going to get TTIP'd in the arse whether we are In or Out of the EU. I can't see either Red or Blue managing to keep us away from it, in fact I see less chance of us staying out of TTIP if we leave the EU.

For me sticking in the EU means we're protected (just about) from the worst of the governments follies.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ahh but....

Didn't the Bildenberg crowd just finish it's session? Guess we know which way the wind is blowin'

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Ahh but....

That's "Bilderberg".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Ahh but.... Bilderberg

Sorry, I was just doing my best illiterate congress critter impression... please forgive me.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Ahh but.... Bilderberg

Your average American hillbillly is more literate than the average congress critter.

7. Tromos

Let's reciprocate the 'special relationship' with Obama...

...and stick TPP at the back of the queue.

8. fortran

USA-ians selling items abroad?

TPP is a bad agreement, but it is hardly the only thing holding back USA companies from selling all over the world. ITAR is far worse.

I'm a Canadian, residing in Canada. ITAR regulations made it difficult for me to buy a 9 DOF (gyroscope, 3D accelerometer, magnetic inclinometer) board. Sure, I can see how that might be used in a cruise missile. Those same regulations also showed themselves when I wanted to buy a digital oscilloscope kit (for Arduino) and an educational kit for measuring the capacitance of a capacitor.

I recently tried to buy some 6/64 inch machine screws that are 9/16 inch long from McMaster-Carr. ITAR makes it impossible for them to sell something this potentially damaging to foreign citizens (read terrorists). They can only sell to companies.

The USA is so busy shooting themselves in the foot over foreign terrorism issues, nobody will buy from them because they are too much of a PITA.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: USA-ians selling items abroad?

Aren't those things made in China, Turkey, Eastern Europe, Asia etc?

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Some years ago I needed some 80-pin versions of the old SCSI mini parallel connector, only sold in the USA as far as I could find. So had to fill out various forms, etc, to get clearance to have them exported to me as clearly such connectors are in big demand by terrorists, government spies and pinko-commie-subversives worldwide.

On arrival I saw they were made in Mexico.

But look at the up-side where ITAR has done wonders for the European space industry.

1. ShortLegs

"Some years ago I needed some 80-pin versions of the old SCSI mini parallel connector, only sold in the USA as far as I could find. So had to fill out various forms, etc, to get clearance to have them exported to me as clearly such connectors are in big demand by terrorists, government spies and pinko-commie-subversives worldwide."

Really? SCA connectors have been widely available since at least 1997, they were the standard connector used to provide hot-plug SCSI capability in servers.

SCSI4me has been selling them in the US since at least 2003 and selling abroad without restriction or requirement to fill in export forms, if you couldn't find a UK seller. Granted, they were less readily available in the UK, but that is possibly due to the fact the SCA drives were connected to a backplane, not a cable. I'd venture it was more 'home' users who wanted to use SCA drives and thus required SCA-68pin adaptors

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

68-pin ones were easy to get for SCSI. I needed the 80-pin version (not used for SCSI but for a custom board). Think it was DigiKey I got them from.

9. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Flame

Calling Obama "amusing" is like calling Pinochet "uplifting"

The "sassy black guy" spiel of the drone-and-nuclear-renewal president is really old now.

Meanwhile: PNAC is baaackk (Well, it never went away, really)

The substance of the document is about what one would expect from an iteration of PNAC. The paper cites a highly revisionist history of post-World War II American policymaking, complete with a celebration of America’s selfless motives for every action. Left out is any mention of overthrowing democratically elected and popular governments for US business, or the subsequent blowback for such actions in Latin America, the Middle East, and elsewhere.

For the neocons and liberal interventionists at the Center for a New American Security, the United States has always acted for the benefit of all.

The paper primarily focuses on the economy and defense budget, and American security interests in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. Supporting the Trans-pacific Partnership (TPP) and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) are considered the highest priority, as they will bind the main drivers of the US-led “liberal world order”—the US and Europe—closer together.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

PNAC is not "liberal"

It was founded by Bill Kristol, a lifelong neocon, and those who signed its original principles in the late 90s included GW Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz. Hardly a rogues gallery of liberals...

The fact that Hillary is involved with them, and Kristol has endorsed Hillary over Trump should tell you all you need to know about how the true power brokers in American politics don't care about republican vs democrat as those parties are two sides to the same coin. They make a big show about places where they differ and make it sound like they are in opposition on everything to distract attention from all the things they agree on that is not in the interest of the American people or the world at large. For all the whining from conservatives about how terrible Obama is, and from liberals about how terrible Bush was you'd be hard pressed to find any difference between US foreign policy under Bush vs under Obama.

In the grand scheme of things, issues like abortion, gay marriage or transgender bathrooms aren't all that important to most of us in the US, and US laws around them don't matter at all to those who live elsewhere, but they receive a lot more attention in the US and non-US media (both "mainstream" and "alternative") than bigger issues like "why should the US maintain so many overseas military bases, and get involved in so many conflicts?" that lead to uncomfortable questions like "is such involvement the real reason why we have to worry about the 'war on terror' in the first place?" After all, Switzerland has never had a terrorist attack on their soil, which puts a lie to stupid arguments like "they hate us for our freedom".

1. Charles 9

Re: PNAC is not "liberal"

"In the grand scheme of things, issues like abortion, gay marriage or transgender bathrooms aren't all that important to most of us in the US..."

Until they provide the impetus for the worst mass killing in US history, one that FINALLY trumps Bath Township AND used legally-purchased guns (the killer was a lone wolf sleeper).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Charles 9 - not sure they "provided the impetus"

Decades before gay marriages were legalized gay nightclubs existed, so whether or not those laws were changed the shooter would have still had his "impetus" to murder a bunch of people. He could well have gone off in a non-gay nightclub or a shopping mall, someone willing to kill a bunch of people because they're gay probably doesn't need much of a push before he sees killing people because they're drinking or something else he believes is morally wrong.

At any rate if it could somehow be proven that had the US not legalized gay marriage he would have never killed anyone, I'll bet even the most ardent anti-gay conservatives wouldn't want to see the gay marriage law rolled back as a way to appease people like him.

1. Charles 9

Re: @Charles 9 - not sure they "provided the impetus"

"At any rate if it could somehow be proven that had the US not legalized gay marriage he would have never killed anyone, I'll bet even the most ardent anti-gay conservatives wouldn't want to see the gay marriage law rolled back as a way to appease people like him."

Point is it's an election year. ANYTHING newsworthy WILL alter the political landscape; it's unavoidable. I'm not using the incident as an example for or against, only as an example of people looking for a way to make a guaranteed statement. Frankly, the only reason we haven't seen a nuke go off in anger is because no one of this level of crazy has managed to get their hands on one...YET.

2. 's water music

After all, Switzerland has never had a terrorist attack on their soil

A pedant writes, whilst the link could still form the basis of the same argument you made, never say never

3. Kumar2012

@DougS "After all, Switzerland has never had a terrorist attack on their soil" -- well even ISIS need somewhere to keep their money from the oil sales to Erdonkey in Turkey ;)

10. IGnatius T Foobar
    Megaphone

TPP is BAD and there's only one solution

TPP is universally bad; it totally eviscerates the US economy except for a few billionaires like the folks who own Google. There's only one fix: vote for Donald Trump, outspoken opponent of the TPP and globalism in general.

1. julian.smith

Re: TPP is BAD and there's only one solution

There's another solution

Don't vote for the Charlatan (only in America would such an obvious fake be considered for dog catcher)

... and oppose the TPP

FIFY

1. zen1

An open apology to the rest of the world.

I know I don't speak for all of my countrymen & women, but, on behalf of those who may agree with me, I'd really like to apologize for the two presumptive candidates. If it were up to me, I'd call a do-over, because neither one has the skills or the temperament to be the leaders of the US.

Yes, I will concede that my country has its problems, and we are working on them, so I ask for your patience and understanding while we try to get our crap together.

1. Sherrie Ludwig

Re: An open apology to the rest of the world.

For at least two decades, I have been asking for a "none of the above" option on all US ballots for all candidates. If this option gets the most votes, the result would be governed by whatever rule that office has in place for if a candidate is elected but dies before taking office. (Different between states, different at the federal level). For some, the state governor may appoint someone, for some the current officeholder stays while a special election is called, and so on. The Presidency gets complex:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_line_of_succession

But, if this happens enough, maybe the political parties might start listening to the ballot box again instead of the big donors and corporations.

Tired of voting for the lesser of two evils. How about trying to not vote for evil?

1. Charles 9

"Tired of voting for the lesser of two evils. How about trying to not vote for evil?"

Hard to do when the options are between devils and demons, and "None of the above" simply allows whoever's already in power to stay there.

2. Bob Dole (tm)

If I ever invent a time machine, I'm going to go back to when they were crafting the constitution. I'll tell them to make sure to put in a bit for "None of the Above" to appear on every ballot. If a candidate receives less votes than None of the Above then they are immediately disqualified. If no candidates receive more votes than None of the Above then the process has to start over with new people.

If we don't have a winner after 2 votes then one US citizen is selected at random by fair dice roll and they must serve in the role for at least 1 year while new elections are started.

I think that would at least mitigate some of the issues.

1. Charles 9

"If we don't have a winner after 2 votes then one US citizen is selected at random by fair dice roll and they must serve in the role for at least 1 year while new elections are started."

Not a good idea. You could get an absolute idiot in the White House who leads us into World War III. There ARE worse things to have in the White House than a corrupt politician.

2. h4rm0ny

You think Donald Trump of all people can't be bought?

Voting third party is the only path to really breaking up the entrenched power base.

1. thomas k

Re: voting 3rd party

Voting 3rd party is the way to insure the two entrenched parties stay entrenched.

1. Fungus Bob
          WTF?

"Voting 3rd party is the way to insure the two entrenched parties stay entrenched"

And keeping on voting for only the two officially vetted and sanitized candidates from the two entrenched parties will somehow dis-entrench them?!

1. Charles 9

"And keeping on voting for only the two officially vetted and sanitized candidates from the two entrenched parties will somehow dis-entrench them?!"

The point is it's a no-win situation. The two parties are SO entrenched it would take a disaster of unmitigated proportions (I'm talking the level of one of them triggering World War III) or a candidate with Messianic levels of charisma. The parties feed on each other. Trying to feed a third party simply causes one of the two incumbents to get stronger, they stay in power, stomp out the third party and allow the other incumbent to recover. Look what's happened to EVERY third party candidate to appear since Ross Perot. Not one state and only token present in the absolute tally.

1. Fungus Bob

"Look what's happened to EVERY third party candidate to appear since Ross Perot. Not one state and only token present in the absolute tally."

Perhaps not at the national level (yet) but at the state level Jesse Ventura was a third party candidate that actually became governor. He didn't do a bad job and it was soooo refreshing to see an elected official that wouldn't apologize or backtrack every time he stuck his foot in his mouth.

What would happen if every eligible voter in the US that was too disgusted with the whole system to vote would, instead, vote for any third party candidate instead of staying home?

1. Charles 9

They'd still lose. On a national level, party diehards make up the vast majority of people who are willing to go out and vote. Those who don't vote usually don't not because they're disgusted but because they don't care enough.

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

You forgot to add joke tags.

Trump (as any populist) will proclaim during election what the crowds want to hear. Expecting him to do anything about it or stick to any of his election promises in the realm of delusional.

4. naive

It is interesting to follow if the people of the US have the courage to make the first step in taking power back from the few 100 billionaires ruling the world, who seek to enslave us all by taking away our jobs and drive us into a debt driven economy.

Sure is that from September on, the Wall Street backed artillery will start a continuous propaganda barrage to get Hillary in office.

11. DerekCurrie
    Stop

TPP and TTIP are abominations of CORPORATOCRACY

TPP and TTIP aren't just imperfect, they're the single worst trade deals ever negotiated and will subvert democracy around the world in favor of corporate control of law. They will also abrogate world citizen's rights in favor of corporate overlord rights.

Then consider the fact that the US Senate voted to not even allow itself to debate these treaties. That fact in and of itself is unconstitutional, killing the obligation of the Senate to advise and consent:

"[The President] shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur..."

- Article II, Section 2, Clause 2 of the United States Constitution.

*Please* read the TPP and TTIP and understand exactly what these abominations will mean to world citizens. Then please take action to make your opinion known!

https://www.readthetpp.com

http://www.sej.org/publications/watchdog-tipsheet/read-secret-ttip-trade-treaty-here

http://stopthetpp.org

https://stop-ttip.org

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Charles 9

Re: TPP and TTIP are abominations of CORPORATOCRACY

"Then consider the fact that the US Senate voted to not even allow itself to debate these treaties. That fact in and of itself is unconstitutional, killing the obligation of the Senate to advise and consent:"

A lawyer would argue no such obligation exists. If the Senate willingly chooses to abdicate responsibility, that acts as tacit consent by default. There's nothing in Article II that says the Senate MUST directly vote on every single ratification and confirmation.

12. Someone Else Silver badge
    FAIL

Gee, what a surprise!

The company that wants to own the world supports the legal instrument that would allow them to fulfil their dreams.

In other news, Sun comes up in East. Film at 11.

13. ecofeco Silver badge

The New World Order progresses

Have we all forgotten the NWO? This is just another step forward.

And another step back for the average person.

14. EvadingGrid

TPP is not legal

TPP is not legal.

That should be common sense, negotiated in secret, secret courts, its illegal.

15. BinkyTheHorse
    Black Helicopters

"free flow of information"

A Google representative advocating "free flow of information" is like a knife-wielding psycho advocating "free flow of blood".

16. Jonjonz

HOw well Framed

Amazingly framed to obscure the fact the the TPP blows away local regulations on practically anything. Goodbye OSHA, clean beaches and rivers, and hello fraking in everyones back yard.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TPP is dead in Europe

There is no chance TPP will pass in the EU, a huge majority of people are against it, and if the US and the powers to be try to push it too hard then an European Teaparty speak Revolt will happen ..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: TPP is dead in Europe

And that'll probably (along with a Brexit) tear the EU asunder. Which would mean the US wins anyway.

18. Artaxerxes

Large company backs treaty to ensure large companies get more money and can move profits and jobs around more easily

I AM SHOCKED.

19. Fungus Bob
    Trollface

Obama: "The more we sell abroad..."

Exactly which broad are we talkin' 'bout Mr. President?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like