back to article SLACKOUT

Marginally productive employees and journalists around the world have been plunged into crisis today as the Slack chat service has gone down. The Slack status page has confirmed what everyone feared: both the Slack API and the website itself have been hit with an outage. "We're very sorry for the interruption to your days and …

1. Barry Rueger

All Of Your Eggs

SLACK IS DOWN, REDECENTRALIZE THE WEB QUICK!!1

This is actually a valid point. Far, far too much of what we do on-line depends on one large corporation or similar point of failure.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: All Of Your Eggs

MAKE AMERICA DECENTRAL AGAIN!!

I would actually vote for that platform.

2. jake Silver badge

That's odd ...

I run Slack, and IRC has been fully functional for the last couple of decades.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Cloud...

Other people's computers you have no control over.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Cloud...

On the other hand, not many people complain that they don't have control over the gas works or the sewage treatment system or the traffic light control system...

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

On the other hand, not many people complain that they don't have control over the gas works

The gas works do not try to upgrade their f*** API every 2 weeks. It is 75 mbar over 28mm pipe this week same as it was 75 mbar over 28mm pipe last week same as it will be 75 mbar over a 28mm pipe next week. It is not in perpetual beta and it will not be withdrawn the week after next because the company offering it feels like it has played enough and wants to switch a newer and shinier toys like delivering pumped sewerage instead of gas.

I suggest you actually try to grok the concepts of utility, universal service obligation and service guarantee next time before you try comparing anything offered by a Silly Valley Unicorn with a proper utility service. Regardless of the valuation of said unicorn and the amount of sparkles it has in its mane.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Yes and those utilities are "fungible" (a nice word that AO sometimes uses on El Reg) where they are interchangeable. Gas is gas from any utility to certain defined standards and to me they just burn and heat things.

My data is unique which is why it is valuable to me, and if some cloud provide vanishes or deletes my account due to incompetence or a dispute over billing then I am stuffed unless i have my own copy. Or have two cloud provides that don't share the same points of failure. And that is even before we get in to data sovereignty and who can use a legal warrant (secret or otherwise) to access it.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Lesser of two evils.

If you are in an typical large company and you have to choose between a cloud service and a service provided by your own IT department you are guaranteed to chose the lesser of two evils. Now which one is the "lesser" I am going to leave as an "exercise to the reader".

4. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

getting old...

When I saw the headline, I momentarily thought that Patrick had pushed the new release out quietly....

...but then I realised it was the messaging system you were talking about.

The Tramp: nearest I can find for an Old Git icon.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: getting old...

PV & co. are getting close to releasing Slackware 14.2 ...

ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware64-current/ChangeLog.txt

From my perspective, -current seems pretty stable, should be a good release.

Oh, and only one comment on the totally useless systemd:

"ap/lxc-2.0.0-x86_64-4.txz: Rebuilt.

Applied "[PATCH] cgfsng: don't require that systemd subsystem be mounted"."

;-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon