back to article Microsoft offers Surface-as-a-Service from its own stores

First Microsoft turned Office into software-as-a-service. It's currently transforming Windows into Windows-as-a-service. And now it's decided that its Surface Pro typoslab should become Surface-as-a-service, to help businesses buy more of the hybrid machines. Surface-as-a-Service, or "Surface Membership" to use its proper name …

1. Mage Silver badge

Rental

My dad gave up TV rental in 1970s.

2. King Jack

Pay Forever

The fog lifts and M$ tick model is revealed. You own nothing and pay forever.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pay Forever

Down-votes-as-a-Service? M$ $hills?

2. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Stop

Microsoft is leasing the hardware. It is not atypical for companies to lease computers, MFPs and such. Some companies prefer not to spend on permanent assets but to lease their equipment.

This is not about Microsoft changing their business model, you're still free to buy the equipment, but I'm afraid my point will be lost in the tsunami of MS haters.

1. ab-gam
        WTF?

Leasing implies that you are paying for the depreciation of an item over your term of usage.

Based on the default settings for a Surfacebook Pro i5/8g/128, you can pay $1848 over 18 months, or $1848 over 24 months. If a device looses almost $2k in value over 18 months, how does it proceed to loose absolutely $0 additional value over the next 6 months?

3. AMBxx Silver badge
    FAIL

Classic Microsoft marketing screwup

Go to the find a reseller. Select Staples (first on my list), takes you to a page promoting Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3. No mention of the rental deal at all. Nothing about Surface Pro 4 either.

Until MS get this stuff right, it doesn't matter how good their offering is.

Edit: It's even worse than I first thought - the content comes from MS!!!

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Classic Microsoft marketing screwup

" Until MS get this stuff right, ... "

Aaaannnd there's your problem!

Seriously. I've never been a Fanboi as such, but so far they had stuff that was useful and usable for me to get the stuff done that I do. Sometime in the late 1980ies I had to make a choice, and as I'm in civil engineering that choice was DOS/Win because there was next to nothing suitable on the Mac. I had worked on the first Macs and it was great, and if I wouldn't have had the need to run software for structural design and a CAD program fit for structural design I just as well might have chosen Apple.

(Okay, apart from DOS/Win boxen I also had the odd Mac laptop, a string of Newtons, and for a while I worked with a CAD package that ran on UNIX, I think SCO, that would run on Compaq PCs, and every now and then toy with Linux on the old box that had been replaced by the new WIn box.)

All these years MS products were far from perfect, but they worked reasonable well and MS policy was workable.

But right now they are pissing me off, big time. For me, 2016 will be the year of the Linux destktop.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Classic Microsoft marketing screwup

It's even more of a screwup!

Reading through the terms of the Business membership it is obvious that this is just a nationally based, return to vendor warranty and not a full blown support and repair service; so no next business day on-site device replacement anywhere in the world.

4. quxinot

I wonder if you can design yourself a surface that doesn't have strange bugs like a failure to use low-power modes effectively.

Huh.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Can be fixed. Either install Windows from scratch or follow the reset instructions available in the forums on windows central. Both unofficial, but work.

Shouldn't need to do this, but once fixed it's a great tablet.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It would appear that MS is morphing into a service company so that will be left are MBAs and bean counters.

How the mighty fall.

6. jake Silver badge

Out of curiosity ...

Anybody running a Slackware 14.2 RC on one of these cheap-as-chips platforms?

1. Code For Broke

Re: Out of curiosity ...

I was under the impression that Master Slack had gone off the rails and that Slackware was no longer being maintained. We're you just kidding Andi didn't get it?

1. jake Silver badge

@Code For Broke (was:Re: Out of curiosity ...)

Your impression is incorrect. PV, Wife, & Co. are still developing Slackware.

http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=x86_64

That's an update two days ago.

2. hplasm
      Happy

If you call Surface cheap- you must mean diamond chips?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"If you call Surface cheap- you must mean diamond chips?"

Compared to what that sort of computing power (not that it would have fitted in such a small box) would have cost you, say, 30 years ago? Yeah, cheap. Dirt cheap. It's just a pity that most of the improvement in performance gets eaten up by sloppy coding, so to speak. But that's another story.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Onerous

Failure to keep up payments means MSFT powns your first-born

8. PNGuinn
    Mushroom

Yeah, nice ...

And all your data are belong to Slurp ...

Just NO. Not over your dead body, microsoft!

9. Mark 85

Microsoft stores are hard to find outside the USA, so

Unless you're in a large city, an MS store is tough to find, hard stop!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Great example of just how f*cking dumb Microsoft can be; there's a store in the King Of Prussia mall but not one in Center City Philadelphia, 20 miles away. Apple have big stores in both places. The people who Microsoft need to attract to their devices would not be seen dead in KoP whilst the Apple stores are waist deep in punters and drones all day every day. The KoP store is a total waste of real estate. I'm sure other conurbations have similar examples.

Oh, and I just noticed there's one in the Christiana Mall in Delaware. Do Microsoft know how few people there are in Delaware? (clue, the state has ONE congressional district) The only people who go to Delaware are Philadelphians going across the border to buy cheap booze - but no Surfaces.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MS to computer OEMs:

Niah, niah, niah... So long, suckers!

12. danya02

Seems too close to the Free Hardware model (of which you can read more here: http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/free-hardware.html) - it proposes a world of free hardware and costly software. And I'm really not liking the idea of not having the power to install an operating system different than Micro$oft Window$ on a computer that I own.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$191 a month!

So for near £200 a month (do Microsoft know you can get cars for that price!) you get to rent a tablet...

I bet punters are queuing up...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like