back to article TalkTalk says 8-month app outage lasting 'bit longer than we hoped'

TalkTalk's Talk2Go app has been offline for eight months - since that breach, in fact - but that hasn't stopped the business reminding those trying to leave that they'd be missing out on it if they went elsewhere. Talk2Go is a free app allowing customers to "make calls to friends and family using your landline minutes on your …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

IT is probably developed in their "innovation" lab

It is probably developed in their "innovation" (quotes intended and needed) lab seen behind their CEO in one of the interviews and featured widely on the register. The one with the VHS video player and the Windows 98 machine behind her.

2. MR J

I know a lot of things now require you to be on a TT phone or using TT broadband to action things.

I tried to raise a support ticket for my inlaw, but due to the fact that I am on a "Virgin Media" broadband connection It refused to allow me to report an outage!.

Their "Fix" for their security errors now means that everyone is forced to use their website from a home connection to get things actioned.

His contract is up in a few months, Look forward to finding something else. - Tho, when I have phoned them the support has been much better than what I have received from VM over the years.

1. Triggerfish

The Talk Talk line checker, works by having you connect to it's tester page and then testing whether you can connect to it's test page as far as I can see, Joseph Heller works in ISP support.

3. Ralph B

Disingenuous much?

"We're aware that some of you are having trouble accessing the Talk2Go app" says TT.

"But," says the Reg reader "the app [..] has not been available for anyone since October".

"Ah", TT might reply, "but only some of you have tried to use it."

4. jason 7

I always encourage...

...any of my customers to move to anyone but TalkTalk. Miserable company for broadband. I've known several folks that were stuck on 1.5Mbps Talk Talk connections when every other house in the street was on 6Mbps minimum. You would call TT and they would say it was the best their line could manage. Sorry nothing they could do but please stick with it!

So the customer would move to BT/Sky etc. and bingo...6 or 8Mbps.

1. Fatman
      Joke

Re: I always encourage...

<quote>I've known several folks that were stuck on 1.5Mbps Talk Talk connections when every other house in the street was on 6Mbps minimum.</quote>

An off the top of the head guess is that TT equipment at CO side of things dates back to the last century, thus the shitty performance.

When it comes down to spending money of improving the infrastructure, or funding the executive bonus pool, we know how that will sort out.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

@Fatman Re: I always encourage...

An off the top of the head guess is that TT equipment at CO side of things dates back to the last century, thus the shitty performance.

The exchange equipment isn't run by TalkTalk retail, but by TalkTalk wholesale. In my exchange, the TalkTak wholesale equipment is much better than BT's. Fortunately, being with A&A, I get the benefits of the higher speed without dealing with TalkTalk retail.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: I always encourage...

if you have connection problems then best bet is one of the smaller ISPs - they tend to be pretty tenacious about making Openreach toe the line.

I've had good service from phone.coop, your milage may vary

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Advertising a service that does not exist?

Time for a complaint to the ASA then?

6. Grubby

oh talktalk

An app that allows you to make calls to certain people from your mobile and take the minutes off your landline account. So a bit like the phone services whatsapp, skype, facebook, snapchat and thousands of others offer only to everyone, and without taking minutes off your landline, and that work. I don't see the point of the app. It's a bit like saying you'll knock off the £5 a month charge for Freeview TV. ahhhhh... their retention team do that too. Now I get it.

1. jason 7

Re: oh talktalk

From what I have seen out in the wilds as a roving IT Guy, I can imagine the people using this are probably over 55 and have no clue that any other such software or application exists and do not understand what a 'web browser' is, only the term 'Internet Explorer'.

They are the ones that will hand over money for anything without question. I've seen so many paying £60+ a month for TV and phone services when they only watch Freeview.

Yes...I do call up the provider for them and either cancel or downgrade the package.

7. Peter X

Contract

Can people stuck on a TT contract use this as a reason for escape?

8. Ian 55

An about page on TalkTalk's website explains all of the benefits of the Talk2Go app

Not if you run NoScript, it doesn't.

Answers as to why anyone should trust TT to run arbitrary scripts on your kit to...

9. VulcanV5
    Unhappy

Please understand Dido's position

Fair do's: it's perfectly possible that one of the company's many hackers has revealed that its Talk2Go app is being used by people to talk other TT customers into going. From TalkTalk. If I was CEO, I too would be experiencing difficulties in restoring Talk2Go to a bunch of ingrates.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

any anon commentards

know what the real problem is?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: any anon commentards

The real reason being that this app. is cannibalising the Mobile phone division's revenues (people on unlimited anytime minutes contract incl. £5 unlimited mobile calls ).

It is purely a business decision and using the hack/security as an excuse.

8 months (and counting) to restore a registration process is just a mammoth lie.

And everyone working at TT do lie. Just make 10 different calls to the support teams (incl. CEO's offices) and you will get 10 different answers and possible dates for restoration.

1. Triggerfish

Re: any anon commentards

Don't see why it should hit them that badly, 3 offer an app that will link with your home broadband via wifi and give you calls without using minutes, doesn't matter who your broadband provider is, so it can't be that damaging otherwise why offer it to their phone customers?. Plus as someone else said whats app etc.

I'd hazard a guess it's just talk talk being shit sometimes you have to work from the fact that incompetent people are not going to produce good work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like