back to article New periodic table names

Four elements from the lower right-hand corner of the periodic table will have new names. A document outlining the proposals was drafted by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry, chemistry's governing body. Rules dictate that a new element may be named after a) a mythological concept or character (including an …

1. Julian Bradfield

That's Ts for Tennessine.

1. Old Handle
      Pint

Thanks, I was wondering. I knew Tc couldn't be right, as that stands for Technetium.

2. scign

Ts for Tennessine

Tc is Technetium

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

It's fixed - can you please email corrections@theregister.co.uk if you spot anything wrong so we can fix things right away. Ta.

C.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Trollface

It's fixed - can you please email corrections@theregister.co.uk if you spot anything wrong so we can fix things right away. Ta.

No, Ta stands for Tantalum.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Trollface

more like 'Tu' for 'Tauntalum'

2. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Thumb Up

always good for educational value

Thanks to this story, today I learned that Nihon is the semi-official word for what we call Japan. Like many, I always thought it was Nippon (and it sorta is. See link for disambiguation or possibly FURTHER ambiguation as the case may be). My research enabled me to learn the differences between and story behind the whole Nihon/Nippon/Japan thing.

I am now ever so slightly more enlightened than before. Thanks, Reg. This is one of the reasons I come here.

1. MondoMan
      Trollface

Re: always good for educational value

Or you could read John Rain novels and learn about Nihon AND hand-to-hand fighting. :)

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: always good for educational value

"today I learned that Nihon is the semi-official word for what we call Japan"

thanks for the link as well. I had no idea that 'Yamato' was an ancient name for Japan.

the kanji for 'Nihon' literally mans 'sun source' from what I understand. The 'hon' kanji can also mean 'book' and is part of the word 'hontou' meaning 'true' and so on. Lots of words seem to have the 'hon' kanji in them.

I'm not an expert, though, I just have an interest in it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Tennessine

but in base 8 it is Octarine ;-)

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Alien

Re: Tennessine

Element 115 (Moscovium) is the one the UFO people believe that powers the UFOs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon