back to article LISA Pathfinder free fall test beats expectations

European Space Agency (ESA) boffins are tossing hats in the air as data from their LISA Pathfinder mission suggests its gravitational wave detection kit is going to live up to expectations. In the popular mind, LISA – the Laser Interferometer Space Antenna – has been upstaged by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice setup.

Why did they not have one of these in the spaceships in sci-fi? Looks rather interesting. I assume it uses lasers to balance the weights... um "masses" to keep them in freefall and from hitting the edges? Or does it use magnets, and the lasers just for measurements?

1. cray74

Re: Nice setup.

I assume it uses lasers to balance the weights... um "masses" to keep them in freefall and from hitting the edges? Or does it use magnets, and the lasers just for measurements?

The lasers are for measurements, monitoring the position of of the masses 40 centimetres apart to an accuracy of less than 0.01 nanometres. Other systems, including physical pusher rods, are used to position the cubes. After getting oriented, the satellite uses micro-thrusters to stay centered on one test mass and monitors what happens to the other in comparison. It should be in an extremely clean free fall environment.

The Lisa Pathfinder mission isn't going to do much with respect to spotting gravity waves. It's proving out the hardware that will go on the follow-up eLisa mission.

Why did they not have one of these in the spaceships in sci-fi?

Gravitational detectors are abundant in sci-fi. They're a key sensor system in David Weber's "Honorverse," for example.

2. Mage Silver badge

Excellent.

I read somewhere that they hope now to do the full size version on a shorter timescale.

" I assume it uses lasers to balance the weights... um "masses" to keep them in freefall and from hitting the edges? Or does it use magnets, and the lasers just for measurements?"

The laser is used essentially as ruler, to measure the distance apart of the blocks.

Nothing is holding the blocks in place (relative to the spacecraft), other than inertia. That's why it's at the Lagrange point.

1. Uffish

Re: "Nothing is holding the blocks in place..."

Don't the 2kg blocks attract each other ? I seem to remember a school science experiment with lead canon balls and a miniature dumbbell hung from a thread, it certainly gave the appearance of showing gravitational attraction.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

La Grange

Have mercy.

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.

A haw, haw, haw.

1. DuncanL

Re: La Grange

Well, I hear it's fine if you got the time

4. elDog

Location, location, location

Isn't a Lagrange point pretty small and valuable?

Wouldn't a host of countries/companies all sending masses into this area cause some perturbations (gravitational and physical?)

1. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Re: Location, location, location

L1 points are unstable, so spacecraft actually orbit them from rather large distances (100,000-200,000 km according to Wikipedia). Considering the small number of objects, I'd say the risk of collision is pretty limited.

From a gravitational point of view, a 1-ton satellite would exert 10^(-15) g at a distance of 10^5 km, which is within range of the experiment's requirements.

1. FrogsAndChips Silver badge
        Facepalm

..and I managed to mix up G and g, so that's another 10^(-11) factor I omitted, and really nothing to worry about gravitational effects. If I've got it right this time.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

L4 and L5 - yes. They are stable and even if you shove something a bit out of it, it tends to try to go back there.

While unstable, L2 is interesting because it is in perpetual shade with the smaller body providing it as it orbits the larger. L3 and L1 - not so much. They are both not stable and solar wind will probably push you out of them at the end of the day. So a long term competition for "real estate" at these locations is highly unlikely.

3. cray74

Isn't a Lagrange point pretty small and valuable?

Nope. Notice the breadth of Jupiter's Trojan asteroid collection: the L4 and L5 groups each cover an arc a couple of AU long.

Orbits around L1 and L2 points can be large, too. The SOHO probe follows an orbit around the Earth-sun L1 point that is roughly 400,000 x 1,300,000km.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon