back to article Startup Knupath offers world a new CPU architecture

A company led by a former NASA boss wants to take tricky and compute-intensive algorithms off general-purpose silicon and has just popped out of stealth mode to show off its first efforts. The de-cloaking, which came after an uncharacteristically long period of ten years in “stealth mode”, revealed to the world a digital …

1. msknight

OK ... so now I can search for cat pictures in record time.

Like the race for thinner phones, there came a point where I said, screw the thinness, I want something that feels solid and fills my needs.

I'll admit, like many users I still haven't signed off on my actual needs yet... but I'm working on it.

Yeah... I'm going to get flamed to hell for this, aren't I.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

No but now cats know that you know.

They won't take this lying down. You better watch out tonight.

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Very interesting development

Many problems in image analysis (and physics) can be cast into sparse matrix form, so I will certainly take a look, especially for the gigapixel and terapixel images we are getting. I also wonder whether many graph-based methods could benefit, especially if the average number of edges per vertex is low. Many of those algorithms may well be suitable for this sparse-matrix architecture.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Very interesting development

I also wonder whether many graph-based methods could benefit, especially if the average number of edges per vertex is low.

Denser graph problems can often be recast into sparser ones within good constraints. See e.g. Fung et al., "A general framework for graph sparsification". So this chip could be broadly applicable to graph problems.

3. Paul Shirley
    Coat

all we need to know

Is it faster than a D-wave?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: all we need to know

A D-Wave does some kind of stochastical process. This one is straightforward Algebra In Silicium.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: all we need to know

So this one will actually deliver on the promises made?

4. Wolfclaw

Can I play Doom at 60FPS ?

1. James 51

Classic or NuDoom?

5. Daniel von Asmuth

A giant leap for mankind

A new path for Donald Knuth?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like