back to article African IP address body exec half-apologizes for 'Whites are taking over' race-row email

The former CEO of African regional internet registry Afrinic has apologized for claiming that there was a race-related conspiracy to take over the organization. Adiel Akplogan responded to his original email noting that he had intended it to be a private message. He then apologized "to my many friends and colleagues globally …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shoe, meet foot

"I'm not sorry I'm a racist, I'm only sorry you found out about it."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Shoe, meet foot

Aah, but you can't be racist or sexist unless you are a white man.

1. JLV

Re: Shoe, meet foot

>unless you are a white man.

Surreal moment in Paris, years ago...

Two young men - one black, one Arab - arguing, not in a friendly way. Arab guy goes for the kill with a supreme putdown:

"Wanker! My grandfather would have owned your grandfather."

Not to say that many of us whites ain't racists. But the general consensus, even among whites, is getting more and more that being white and racist is a bit of a douchebag move. That's a very good thing but it'd be nice if that attitude trickled down to other ethnic groups as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I always thought the problem was the surplus mountain of IP addresses in Europe being sold cheaply to Africa stopping Africans selling their own IP addresses rather than the whites meddling.

3. Mark 85

So wanting "more transparency" is equal to "racism" because the white member pushes for transparency? How does that work? Or is this just another excuse to blame everything on whitey?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I would guess the guy doesn't want the transparency (for some reason).

And these days it's so easy and common to assert white racism...

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

Transparency? In Africa?

Read what you wrote.

Transparency in Africa?

Yeah, and I am colonel Mbongo Mbongo from the NIgerian Trustful Asset bank and I would like your assistance in a beneficial transaction of 10,000,000 dollars, that is ten million dollars.

3. Kumar2012
      Big Brother

@Mark 85, its just like how crimes by a certain ethnicity in the USA are committed disproportionately to their actual population levels and its called 'racism' when the prison population is made up of a majority of that same ethnicity.

4. Oengus

Email privacy

email being made public

He wrote an e-mail and sent it to someone. As soon as he hit send the content was out of his control.

First rule of e-mail... If you don't want it made public don't put it in an e-mail. You have no control over where the e-mail will end up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Email privacy

Looking at it closely, the email in question starts: "Hi Boubakar and all..."

The post before that one is from Boubakar, but clearly Akplogan is responding to the entire list and not just Boubakar. Then in his post following directly after his little 'booboo,' Akplogan begins: "I’m sorry that my private e-mail below ends up accidentally on this mailing list."

Say what? Then who was that "all" you were referring to? Methinks he doth protest too, too much.

1. Bob H

Re: Email privacy

Busted... so make a quick half-apology.

5. Omar Smith
    Joke

Whites the results of a genetic experiment gone wrong.

The whiteman was created by a scientist named Yakub through selective breeding of the "original black man", which resulted in an evil creature given over to lying and murder. This scientific experiment came to fruition roughly six thousand years ago, on an island in the Aegean Sea called Patmos. This according to the Most Honorable Elijah Muhammad.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let me see....

Eben cybercity, Mauritius:

The majority of the population are Indo-Mauritians (people of Indian descent) who make up 68% of the population. Creoles (of African descent or mixed-race) are about a quarter of the population. There are approximately 30,000 Sino-Mauritians from the Hakka and other Chinese sub-ethnic/linguistic groups.

27 March 2015, Ébène: AFRINIC's Board of Directors today announced the appointment of Mr Alan Barrett as the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO). Mr Barrett replaces AFRINIC's founding CEO, Adiel A. Akplogan, and will assume the role on 20 April 2015 for an initial three-year term.

How is this a Black endeavor? It's as multi-cultural as all heck.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon