back to article Space exploration: Are Musk and Bezos about to eclipse Gagarin and Armstrong?

Once upon a time exploring space required a mix of the “right stuff” and some serious aeronautical chops. Nowadays you’re as likely to need an out of this world ego and background in Silicon Valley financing. At least that’s one take on the modern era of space exploration - and you can explore the subject in depth and enjoy a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Nowadays you’re as likely to need an out of this world ego and background in Silicon Valley financing.

That'd be Buzz Aldrin, then! But seriously, his science fiction novel Encounter with Tiber (1996, written with John Barnes) reads almost as a manifesto for private enterprise getting mankind into space on routine basis. It's actually a good primer on many of the spaceflight concepts being planned in the near-to-middle term (the parts of the book based around Sol) and longer term (the technologies used by the Tiberians of the title).

I'll see if I can dig out a link to a good outline in the next ten minutes!

1. wolfetone Silver badge

So not only does he rap, John Barnes also writes science fiction books?

Who knew a Liverpool player could be so talented!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The answer is no...

And Musk are, more relevantly, not going to eclipse von Braun, Korolev et al., because they are simply building on their shoulders.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: The answer is no...

Yeah, but isn't the name Henry Ford as well known as Karl Benz or Rudolf Diesel?

For that matter, Isambard Kingdom Brunel is famous too - again, for the scale of his implementation of existing inventions.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Yeah, but isn't the name Henry Ford as well known as Karl Benz or Rudolf Diesel?"

Ford decided to put his name on his cars, which has a lot to do with it. It's why the German cars are known by the name of the salesman's daughter, not the designer.

I recall being told that really, really long term owners call the cars "Royces" because Rolls was only the salesman. But look which became the name used by the people who would never own one.

Musk hasn't put his name on his products; instead he has chosen to promote the name of Tesla.

And thanks to Tom Lehrer, lots of people know what Wernher von Braun was famous for.

1. Pen-y-gors

Nazi? Schmazi!

+1 for Tom Lehrer reference

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Well that's kind of the point: Henry Ford went in for an assembly-line approach. When you say he only famous because he put his name on his cars, you are sidestepping the whole *reason* his cars became famous in the first place. He didn't invent assembly lines or internal combustion engines, but he put his resources behind a combination of the two.

Or: Is a man who invents cars a better engineer than the man who invents machines to make cars? It's clearly a nonsense question.

Sometimes a person becomes associated with a technology because they were in the right place at the right time, with whatever motivation and whatever resources (brainpower, reputation, money) they happened to possess.

Heck, Aldous Huxley adopted Ford's name as a signpost in a fork of human history in Brave New World. The novel Catch-22 was a warning about how the manufacturing techniques in WW-2, echoing Dwight D Esienhower's Farewell Speech, had continued into peacetime. Heller's mate Kurt Vonnegut was a straight-up journalist until his editor mistook his true-to-life reportage of a post-war factory as science fiction.

There is technology, and then the is use that technology is put to. Would the name Oppenhiemer be as well known had his bosses not decided to finace the Manhatten Project?

Maybe individuals are important, maybe not - I don't know - though the telephone is held up as an example of very similar invention patents being filed on the same day by different people on different continents.

If inventor X had been 'run over by a bus' as a child, would inventor Y have invented the same thing within a year?

If a Salesman or Military Commander had not promoted invention A, would others have done sooner or later?

tl,dr If you are interested in technology, study the scientists and inventors. If you are interested about how technology impacts upon people's lives, study people, scientists, inventors, manufacturers, salesmen, generals, presidents, etc

3. tiggity Silver badge

Location, location

Maybe the space lecture might be held near somewhere in the UK with strong links to space stuff, like Leicester..

No, London again.

There is life / UK reg readership outside the capital BTW

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Location, location

Hmm, I'm an alumnus of the stately centre of Education that is Leicester University. I'm not sure that I would punt it as a place to visit. My tutor received a call from a would-be PhD student who asked him to describe Leicester. "Well..." he said "it's the dead centre of England."

2. JDX Gold badge

Re: Location, location

Maybe it's held somewhere with excellent travel links to the rest of the country, where half the nation's population are within an hour's travel?

Nah, they're just out to get you. They should hold it in Cornwall, home of the future space port.

4. Lotaresco
    Holmes

Back to the Future

Seeing "A Logic Named Joe" appearing in the side panel reminded me that back in the "Golden Age" of Science Fiction that the vision of most authors seemed to be that a few insanely wealthy entrepreneurs would create the spacecraft that took the human race into space. It has taken a lot longer than I expected to get to that point.

We now seem to be proving that big government is the worst possible way to run a space programme although it was possibly the best way to lead where entrepreneurs couldn't see the potential for profit. In the 60s I recall businessmen screaming there was no profit in space. Now at least we have "The Right Stuff" from two owners of accidental empires.

Oh and Reg, I refer you to "Day of the Moron" by Henry Beam Piper if you want to punt another short story that was unusually prescient. Idiots decide to play games with a nuclear power station, what could possibly go wrong?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Back to the Future

http://www.readanybook.com/ebook/day-of-the-moron-229

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Interesting how a story can reveal its era in the opening paragraphs. A man smoking a pipe in the office - and considering a woman tall because she is four inches short of his six-foot height. Sharpening his pencil with a penknife is another bygone feature - once the essential tool of every English schoolboy.

The story looks a promising read.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I once worked in a UK nuclear site... Down some scarcely used corridors would be black and photos of the physicists from the early days... Most of them smoking a pipe.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The photos are still there.

2. Lotaresco

Why would some moron downvote a post from someone reminiscing about where they used to work?

2. Steve the Cynic

"considering a woman tall because she is four inches short of his six-foot height"

Even today, when people are taller than back then (better nutrition, duh), five feet eight inches is taller than average for British women.

And yes, novels often reveal much of their era. Day of the Triffids gives away the time it was written in an assortment of silly things:

* Bill Mason acquires half-tracks to move stuff. Good luck finding one these days outside a military museum.

* Bill and Jo stay for a while in a fantastically expensive flat, one whose rent totals *2000* pounds a year. I noticed this one when I reread the book in 2006/7, where 2000 pounds would have rented my flat for less than three months, and it wasn't really that expensive.

* There are significant stocks of food in shops.

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Is 'eclipse' the right word anyway? It's more like a relay run to me.

6. Pen-y-gors

International Space University?

I refuse to take any institution calling itself the International Space University seriously until it has a campus on the Moon and a field study centre on Ceres

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Alien

Re: International Space University?

Should it not be orbiting Jupiter?

7. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.