back to article Physical USB security

Keeping information stored on Flash drives is vital, but if you’re not convinced that software encryption’s secure enough then a physical option’s now available. padlock_USB_thanko Thanko's USB padlock Quirky Japanese retailer Thanko has launched a combination padlock for Flash drives that slides onto the USB connection …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Gosnell

Secure?

Cheap combination locks are generally a doddle to crack, by either physical or logical brute force. Besides, the determined data thief could just open the drive and bypass the connector altogether.

2. Francis Offord
    Boffin

When I see security I reach for my trusty catapult.

On the face of it a good developement although there is always a but. Surely, the best security is to keep the possibly offending flash drive in your pocket/brief case when it is not in use. I do not forsee any problem in hogging one USB outlet as there are several "multi" devices available, I have a seven outlet one myself, and these could be used in conjunction with other devices into infinity, and my computer has four outlets as well.

3. Andraž Levstik

I'm stumped...

So here I stole this interestingly protected usb stick... but I can't plug it in do I

a) give up on it

b) take a screwdriver to it and dismantle it, desolder the original connector and

solder on a new one

I'll go with option b...

5 minutes later

Ahh so this is what the government has been up to...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like