back to article Aquaboffins sink lost Greek city theory

Greek and British scientists have announced that submerged remains off the Ionian island of Zakynthos bearing an uncanny resemblance to a lost city are in fact natural formations. Professor Julian Andrews, of the University of East Anglia's (UEA) School of Environmental Sciences, explained: "The site was discovered by …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"The scientists' findings - Exhumed hydrocarbon-seep authigenic carbonates from Zakynthos Island (Greece): Concretions not archaeological remains - can be found in the journal Marine and Petroleum Geology."

Spoiler alert - paywall. The abstract is free, the rest will cost you $41,95.

Still, amazing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

University of East Anglia??

The same outfit at the centre of the climategate scandal??

They're not known for attempting to hide anything are they?

2. Christoph
    Alert

A Five million year old city?

They've found R'lyeh!

(Where's the Cthulhu icon?)

1. Swarthy
      Alien

Re: A Five million year old city?

The "paved flooring" does look Cyclopean.

3. David Pollard

Pyramids scam scotched

At a casual glance this could easily have gone on to become a ghastly scam like the so-called Bosnian pyramids.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/26/bosnian_pyramids/?page=1

A quick search suggests that the unwary are still being parted from their money on this one, the latest 'discovery' apparently being underground tunnels which have healing properties and which bring health benefits to those who visit. Aaargh.

1. Ogi

Re: Pyramids scam scotched

Well, at least the Bosnians have embraced the capitalistic spirit of "A Fool and their money are soon parted". Works in other parts of the world too.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

You guys are suckers.

Do you really expect the scientific establishment to tell you that the sunken ancient extraterrestrial astronoaut base is actually a sunken ancient extraterrestrial astronaut base?

(And there's no pottery because the aliens ate only pills or got their nutrients by draining the blood from their benighted human slaves!)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aquatic lizard people!

The truth is down there!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Atlantis claims were obviously wrong

Because everyone knows the Atlantians converted it into a spaceship and took off for another Galaxy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Atlantis claims were obviously wrong

Tish, what nonsense! What everyone really knows is that Atlantis sank due to a spat with Norheim getting rather out of hand in a BOOMwupsygeologicalfaultgluglluglug kind of way (see the account of Captain Phryges involvement in the incident, in the historical research document'Triplanetary' by Doc Smith.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

{Embarressed}

Of course, it was Scranton that turned itself into a Spaceship, how could I forget EE "Doc" Smiths Historical Documents - they got me an "A" in English Lit many years ago.

1. Steve Knox

I'm sorry, but Scranton's future history was chronicled by Blish, not Smith:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cities_in_Flight#A_Life_for_the_Stars

2. Wensleydale Cheese

"BOOMwupsygeologicalfaultgluglluglug"

That phrase is worth 100 upvotes on its own.

Sadly I can only give you one.

1. TonyJ

"...Sadly I can only give you one..."

Have a Finbarr Saunders upvote, Sir!

Fnarr Fnarr!!

7. Whiskers

Carbon capture

So how many tons of those microbes would be needed to eat our surplus methane output, and could they do it fast enough? Are those natural concretions tough enough to be used as substitute brick or cement? I'm sure someone must have thought of this sort of thing before.

1. DJV Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Carbon capture

Yep, the people that built that underwater city!

8. Manolo
    Black Helicopters

Bimini Road

Reminds me of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimini_Road

9. Wiltshire

Strangely, I can find no signs of evidence that Julian Andrews (UEA) ever visited the site. But he still professes: “This kind of phenomenon is quite rare in shallow waters. Most similar discoveries tend to be many hundreds and often thousands of meters deep underwater.".

So it's obviously the same? With no explanation why (or how come) : "At least 20 pillar bases were counted, all of which feature a 34 cm diameter incision, which were probably meant for wooden columns."

http://www.tovima.gr/en/article/?aid=516617

Coincidentally, the Greek Government is desperately keen on oil exploration in the same area.

http://www.offshore-mag.com/articles/print/volume-73/issue-7/offshore-mediterranean/mediterranean-sea-plays-offer-new-opportunities.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon