back to article Controversial opinion time: Comcast sucks a tiny bit less this year

Comcast sucks less than last year, but still has a pretty miserable customer rating, according to the annual American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI). The organization's new report [PDF] for 2016 shows a remarkable increase in satisfaction with the cable company – up 15 per cent, or eight points. But then it was starting …

1. Dadmin

Where is my fiber?

Promised by these crooks in the 1970s, I am still waiting for old-timey fiber optics to arrive at my home, or any home. The US is not even in the top 10 nations for broadband connectivity, and no wonder. The incumbents guard their infrastructure like old blind dogs, and make the customer pay for it again and again and again and again, before consider a slight bump in specs. And then they pass on that outrageous bill to their customers and the cycle continues. Every stupid little bump in specs of features becomes a new way to gouge the living shit out of the customers. Take SMS messages; these were just wasted bits on the cell packet preamble, and what did AT&T do? Charge the living shit out of the customers for repurposed packet data. They initially wanted $.10 for each message sent, and stupid people AKA customers paid up. It's like no one gets how much these "plans" and "packages" rip off everyone day in a day out. And how do we get a break? Oh, you have to call and complain before they start offering freebies. WTF? Why not just offer the goodies and low prices to regular customers for staying on as such, instead of offering that shit when we decide to leave?! It's a mad dash to rape each and every customer for some of these carriers. Like AT&T and their ilk. Fuck them!

1. Mark 85

Re: Where is my fiber?

Well said, but as commentard Youngone below says (and so have others) it's all about profit. Their bumping the spec (as well as everyother ISP is merely a software bump back at the datacenter and not hardware or copper to fiber.

Nice thing about the US government, once officials are bought, they usually stay bought. Which pretty much allows them to continue their monopolies and the buying up of the weaker companies while ripping off the customers.

And before the downvotes start... anyone care to explain why we pay more in the US for less bandwidth and speed than those elsewhere in the world if not for the monopolies and lobbyists.

1. asdf

>Nice thing about the US government, once officials are bought, they usually stay bought.

No actually the politicians tend to pit different interests against each other every now and then just to shakedown more money.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nobody was promising fiber in the 1970s. It was only just starting commercial use in the late 1970s, no one was getting it at their home until many many years later.

3. asdf

Want fiber then pray that Google thinks data mining your home town at an even more obscene rate is worth it.

2. Youngone Silver badge

Safe

Why would Comcast care what the customers think?

Their first quarter profit was $2.13 billion this year. They're protected from competition by the campaign contributions they make to their political allies, so customers can moan all they want it won't change anything.

1. asdf

Re: Safe

Getting about time for Tom Wheeler's car brakes to fail as well.

3. Palpy

This may garner downvotes, but --

-- fair's fair. I had to cancel my mum's XFinity account, and I was late getting to it -- and she had lost the cable box Comcast rented her. By golly, the rep backdated the account billing and forgave the lost equipment. Comcast refunded a small amount, and since I had expected a hefty penalty instead, I was quite pleasantly surprised.

And I had really primed myself for a fight... wasted cortisol on my part.

4. asdf

breaking Comcast's heart

Lets see regional monopoly without common carrier check. Who gives a crap what the lusers think?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like