back to article Prospect of fertilisation really blows bees' hair back

There's one thing that literally makes bees' hairs stand up and quiver, say boffins: small electric fields emitted by flowers looking to get it on. According to research from Bristol University, flowers encourage pollination by transmitting electric signals that cause bees' hair to rapidly vibrate. The findings, published in …

1. Bad Beaver

hmmm

How do the electric emissions of flowers change if you, say, pluck a leaf?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: hmmm

> How do the electric emissions of flowers change if you, say, pluck a leaf?

Probably not at all since most flowers are earthed! Brings a whole new meaning to the term 'flower power' though.

IGMC, the retro one with the daisies...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The bee gets a positive charge from bumping into dust. The flower is surrounded by negatively charged air (-100v per meter above the ground) and so develops a negative charge too. That field's shape can indicate to the bee what kind of flower it is, and when positive bees visit a lot, the flower's field is altered in a detectable way. The pollen can also jump across gaps to stick to the bee, uninvited.

At least that's what this says.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

@Big John

A link! Just what the article lacked.

2. Youngone Silver badge

I thought the plant's defence mechanism if a leaf is plucked (or chewed) is chemical rather than electromagnetic.

There are lots of different plants, so presumably lots of different ways of dealing with threats.

3. Kernel

"How do the electric emissions of flowers change if you, say, pluck a leaf?"

It doesn't worry me if there's any notable effect - but it could be a bit rough being a vegetarian/vegan if someone now goes on to prove that plants are sentient beings.

1. R.Moore

I'm a beekeeper and I remember reading somesuch on this topic before.

The conjecture was that the charge was an indicator to be bee that nectar was available. This was because after the bee had left the flower the charge was reduced and increased again in line with the re-supply of nectar at that flower.

2. Hally

Colony Collapse and Electric fields

Perhaps there is a correlation between in increased use of electromagnetic energy and Colony Collapse Disorder..........

Time to get a teeny weeny tin foil cap for all the bees in your hive!

3. Crazy Operations Guy

I figure that the electromagnetic signals the flowers emit would be filtered reflection of the EM waves that hit the plant. Specifically, the chloroplasts that are responsible for absorbing most of the visible spectrum also work on the frequencies that the bees use. Would explain why bees aren't attracted to flowers before they fully bloom or ones that have started to go a it brown...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Specifically, the chloroplasts that are responsible for absorbing most of the visible spectrum also work on the frequencies that the bees use."

Entomophilous flowers tend not to have chloroplasts, their colours are usually due to anthocyanins. Flower signalling to insects is complex. There are often markings only visible in UV and there are also chemical signals which we humans perceive as scent.

4. James 51

"Electroreception is common in aquatic mammals. For example, sharks are equipped with sensitive, jelly-filled receptors that detect fluctuations in electric fields in seawater which helps them to home in on their prey." I know there's a full stop in there but these sentences seem to be suggesting that sharks are aquatic mammals.

1. Swarthy

Agreed, the platypus would have been a much better example. Or whales or manatees, I guess.

5. sad_loser
    Go

I think you mean

Prostitutes for the bees.

The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall and we shall be forced to camp.

6. Jeffrey Nonken

"Electroreception is common in aquatic mammals. For example, sharks ..."

...are not mammals, according to Wikipedia. Of course, everybody knows that Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like