back to article Spanish Bitcoin farm raided

Spanish police have raided six Bitcoin mining centers across the country, arresting 30 people on money laundering charges. The arrests in Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, and Cordoba followed an investigation by the country's tax agency. Reuters reports the operators were laundering cash obtained from pay TV piracy. Some €31,320 …

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

I recommend reading the Reuter's piece, this raid was about the TV fraud and the bitcoin mining was just one small part of the money laundering for that, it was only coincidentally a raid on a bitcoin farm, not as the Reg headline suggests.

1. d3rrial

Here you go, mate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clickbait

2. Chozo

Eurpol Press Release

https://www.europol.europa.eu/content/spanish-network-behind-illegal-distribution-pay-tv-channels-dismantled

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        WTF?

Apparently they also seized a counterfeit luxury car. What on earth is one of those?

1. Indolent Wretch

That'll be a Skoda Superb

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Apparently they also seized a counterfeit luxury car. What on earth is one of those?

You know, like maybe a NNercades or a BMVV ?

I actually saw some Ray-Bam sunglasses in Mexico, once.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spanish Bitcoin farm raided

You'll never guess what happened next!

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

In the wrong place

> Police said the bitcoin mining facilities were using "vast" amounts of electricity.

It seems unlikely that anyone would set up a Bitcoin farm in Spain, considering the country has some of the most expensive domestic electricity rates in Europe.

[ ref: Eurostat ]

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: In the wrong place

From the comments above I assume they were probably obtaining leccy via another means (i.e stealing it with a dodgey leccy cable)

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Flame

Re: In the wrong place

Give it a couple of years and €31,320 will be the average annual electricity bill in Spain.

3. Indolent Wretch

I love the fact that given all the dodgy dealing these jokers were doing or may have doing, stealing leccy, money laundering, illegal TV operation, etc, etc. The bit gets focused on is the naughty Mathematics!

4. Richard Boyce

Seizing bitcoin

Seizing bitcoin is not like seizing other currencies. There can be backup wallets that allow the bitcoin to be spent before any seized computer is even examined. Maybe that's why only a total of £26,000 is reported from 4 locations.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like