back to article Boffins blow up water with LASERS, to watch explosions in slow-mo

Boffins at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory and Stanford's PULSE institute have had fun blowing up water jets and droplets with an X-ray laser. For science, of course. What they say they want is to study the microscopic movies to understand what happens when liquids are vaporized by the world's brightest X-ray laser. …

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

So this is basically the Slow Mo Guys with a really big laser?

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Mushroom

I'll applaud

ANY science that goes BOOM!!

From little droplets exploding in slow-mo right up to the big bang

1. Tom 7

Re: I'll applaud

I think you'll have trouble seeing the big band let alone applauding it!

1. Triggerfish

Re: I'll applaud @Tom7

Oh I dunno any concert hall..

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice.

Looks like each frame is from a different droplet explosion. Similar effect here, though not nearly as well filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Lss3xhbuA

4. GrumpyOldMan

Enjoyed that. Stuff exploding to music is alwas good.

Good choice of music - would like have liked the 1812 though.

1. andy k O'Croydon

For some reason it made me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP0H_a7Ihtk

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was expecting "A Clockwork Orange" rather than "2001" - but it worked nicely.

6. TRT Silver badge

Handel's Water Music?

7. Chris G

Always interesting

I like explosions, when we were kids we used sugar and weed killer or black powder from fireworks to blow up all kinds of stuff, the bigger the bang the better, if it made your ears ring you were definitely getting somewhere. I guess nowadays we would be in for psychiatric reports etc and put on a list.

I do recommend not blowing up wasps nests though, it seems to make them quite irate.

1. 2460 Something
      Mushroom

Re: Always interesting

Ha ha ha, reminds me of what one of my friends did when we were much younger, except the nutter buried a load of it in the garden lit the fuse and retreated. Spectacular explosion, made a massive crater, the mud from which flew quite a distance, including splattering all over the house windows ... which he would have got away with if his mum hadn't currently been sat in there, with a few friends.

1. Bowlers

Been there, done that. As kids we would blowup water. Take a penny banger, light the blue touch paper, wait until it fizzes then drop in a stream and watch it act like a torpedo until the bang. Water everywhere, such fun and cheaper than X-Ray lasers!

2. Tom 7

Fortunate enough to have an equally pyromaniacal bloodline. Lots of cannons (grandad had a 10lb box of gunpowder from somewhere) but the most impressive thing I saw and heard was a giant plastic bag (10' by 6' ish) filled with coal gas from the cooker and the correct amount of oxygen from a dentist.

This was bonfire night but when the flame on the paraffin soaked string reached the plastic the detonation was phenomenal (my memory still swears it had BANG! written across it). Not sure if it was deafness or the fact everyone within 5 miles was trying to work out what the fuck that was meant the silence was deafening for quite a while. Then, from the 50 or so party goers in the vicinity, hysterical laughter borne of shock for about half an hour.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"when we were kids we used sugar and weed killer or black powder from fireworks to blow up all kinds of stuff"

We had a method of inflating balloons from the gas supply. We constructed fuses from a length of paper impregnated with sodium chlorate (weed killer) with a few matches taped to one end and then taped to the balloon. Lit the fuse (NOT with a match) and released. A hundred foot or so in the air the balloon burst, the gas exploded and burning matches scattered across the sky. Being in a narrow valley echoed the bang.

Lovely, but nowadays you'd probably be put into care.

3. Citizen99

As a spotty teenager in the '50s at boarding school, the local chemist sold me 2 lbs of saltpetre in the weeks preceeding Guy Fawkes Day. These days there'd be a SWAT team around in double-quick time.

The good old threepenny banger could be weighted with mud and dropped into the local derelict canal. The shock wave was excellent. I do regret not having a high-speed camera to record the results of placing one in a moist cowpat.

8. M7S
    Pirate

A valuable extension of this kind of research

So, a shark fires its laser, if this blows up water, and if focussed properly does this make the medium through which it has to "swim" less dense and therefore help the shark travel faster, or does the force of the exploding medium ahead impede the shark?

These kinds of things are important.

Discuss amongst yourselves....

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: A valuable extension of this kind of research

Already done, but with a rocket, instead of a laser.

2. Wommit

Re: A valuable extension of this kind of research

I was going to ask what the sharks thought about this.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Cool stuff.

I assume this would give more data on things like improving car engine injection systems. Or dare we say... HP inject priunters!

10. chivo243 Silver badge

later in life, after college

I had a roommate who worked in a forge, at lunch break they would fill punch balls, you know the heavy duty balloons with the rubberband, with acetylene gas, and blow 55 gallon drums into the air, they achieved some good hang times!

1. jjk
      Mushroom

Re: later in life, after college

Was your roommate Dutch? Because they love that sort of thing (Google "carbide shooting").

11. Frederic Bloggs
    Coat

The bit that intrigues me

is how the water manages to be liquid in the vacuum chamber in which both the camera and the xray laser are said to "operate". Or am I missing something?

1. Alien8n

Re: The bit that intrigues me

Once I read your comment I was thinking that myself, short of freezing the droplet to near absolute zero the lack of air pressure should convert the water into gas. However, reading the article carefully it states that the laser and microscope are in a vacuum, but it's possible the water droplets are not. Would be interesting to see the full setup to confirm.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pic

I believe that one was supposed to go with the Nanobra kickstarter puff piece.

13. mr.K

Always fun, but I find this video from 2014 better and it actually explains what we see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRbHDtPbHe0

So if you liked the video in the article you should love that one.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

You were right - love it Thanks for the link!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I was certain I have seen that video before. (Sees like already clicked) Yep, I watched it the first time they did the rounds. :P

This new video then seems to be sections or timeframes of the zaps to compare. :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon