back to article Crappy sandwiches, cantankerous nerds: Put user back in user group

I am going to moderate a webinar today*. The webinar is about the real world implications of copying data and cloning VMs. The interesting bit? We're going to try this with video conferencing, live from the Wisconsin VMware User Group meeting (VMUG). To my knowledge, this has never been done before. That probably means it's a …

1. RonWheeler

Sold my details, never again

Went to one last year. One of them considerately my details with their partners. My inbox has been bombarded with spam from all manner of random IT companies ever since.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Sold my details, never again

You work in IT and have only one email address and it isn't a throwaway and isn't traceable?

Hell, come on, it's a pittance a year for a domain name and giving anything you like before the @, or if you're in IT, you just make up a name@yourdomain.com and put forwarding on.

When it's abused, you remove the forward and/or block the specific username@domain.com that you gave them (and add them all to the purchasing blacklist, obviously).

1. RonWheeler

Re: Sold my details, never again

Booked on by departmental secretary....

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Webex?!

Yes, go find system requirements. Get redirected to new site with no obvious system requirement details.

Do a search for them on site, find document (WebEx System Requirements (WBS31) Mar 23, 2016). See it lists Java 6 as a requirement for Linux, not latest version!? Says Firefox latest works. Try out Firefox and Java latest, find it does not work.

Look at requirements again and find that 64-bit versions of Chrome & Firefox are not supported. WTF Cisco? Are you supposed to be Tier-1 suppliers?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Webex?!

Seriously, don't get me started. And there's exactly anyone better, either! Certainly not that are actually reliable. The whole market needs a good kick in the proverbial.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

GoToWebinar works reasonably well for us so far, but yeah, they all mostly suck for for one reason or another. Last webinar with them their audio bridge decided listeners didn't need to hear all the words.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Trollface

I'm happy, as long as it works with IE4...

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Prasanta

Webex is mostly preferred by many businesses becoz of its quality. Apart from webex, tools like gotomeeting, R-HUB web conferencing servers, gomeetnow etc. are also widely used by many organizations globally for conducting meetings online.

3. Nate Amsden

cloning common in windows world?

Because outside of templates I can only think of one time I have cloned VMs in the past decade(was making 30 VMs to run a burnin test on hardware). (And I have never done a V2V or P2V migration either)

Currently managing around 800 VMs in vsphere ent+

4. AugustB

Interesting look at the behind the scenes of a User Group. Thanks for sharing, good luck with your presentation!

5. Dave Lawton

Access denied

Seriously WTF

6. Peter-Eicher

Webinar meltdown as predicted!

As Trevor surmised might happen, our webinar indeed was a total meltdown in every way. If you logged in to find a soggy mess, we do apologize! But we're crazy enough to try it again.

Well, this time we're going with a standard webinar and no "live from Wisconsin" business. So we're pretty sure it will work! Please join Trevor and company again on June 2nd as we bring you Clone Wars II: Return of the Clones. We still hope to engage the audience in a discussion rather than overwhelm you with PowerPoint slides. I mean, what could go wrong?

https://catalogicsoftware.com/about/webinars/register/act-now/webinar-clone-wars-ii-2016

Peter Eicher

Catalogic Software

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon