back to article Facebook's turbo-charged Instant Articles: Another brick in the wall

Facebook recently opened up its Instant Articles platform to all publishers after an early test run with an anointed few publishers. In a nutshell, it strips out everything a publisher has festooned across their site. In its current form, it uses a specially crafted RSS feed to reformat articles for Facebook. The result is a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Writing articles for free for Facebook seems like a really good business model, that will allow journalism to flourish. Not.

1. caffeine addict

It makes perfect sense - if people are going to block your income stream, then you might as well make facebook serve it for free instead of paying to serve it yourself... :/

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Or you serve ads from your own server without all the crap javascript vulnerabilities, etc. Having met the rational requirements why people block ads, other than selfishness, you then block people with adblockers, or force them through a wait screen.

You offer a subscription service for those who are regular viewers, but want to continue using adblock. You sign up with micropayment sites. You allow a smal number of articles to be read before the blocking adblokers comes into play, to accommodate for folks coming in from Twitter, Reddit and the like.

Or...you stop writing altogether and get a different job. Either way, you don't work for free. Any more than any of your readers do.

2. NanoMeter

The future newspapergeddon

When Facebook have made newspapers dependent on them, they will demand the newspapers stop publish articles on their own websites and only publish them on FB.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The future newspapergeddon

Given the facebook hype was created also by clueless "generic press" journos who discovered a new luser toy for exhibitionists backed by a company good at PR, I think they all deserve to become fb slaves.

3. Buzzword

Cart before horse

How about giving the end user a choice? Google's search results could have a little performance indicator next to each result, to give you an idea of how long the page takes to load. Facebook could do the same: a lightning symbol to indicate fast-loading pages, a snail symbol to indicate slow pages.

Google already shows the words "mobile friendly" to indicate that the page isn't too small to read; something similar could tell us that the page takes forever to load. But who benefits? Follow the money: all those slow advertising scripts probably lead back to Google's revenue stream. Are they really going to bite the hand that feeds?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks to me like a server side ad-blocker...

.... aimed to get rid of someone else ads to ensure you get only fb or google ones...

Anyway the web forgot performance as soon as it was out of the CERN labs. When marketing offices noticed it, pages became a battlefield of useless contents.

5. Belperite

I *hate* instant articles. When I'm interested in a link someone's posted, I want to use the browser and adblocker of *my* choice to view the site and not have someone else reformat it and target ads at me.

6. theOtherJT Silver badge

But who's going to use it?

The point of these "standards" such as they are - or even the CPP Specification - is to say "We wrote this page in a way devoid of annoying bloat"

...but the site owners are the ones including all that crud in the first place. They chose to do it - no one made them - and presumably they chose to do it because they have numbers that say that forcing flash ads and "Please sign up to our newsletter" popups actually _does_ increase site revenue.

To make them change, surely the first step is going to have to be to convince them otherwise, or else to the suits who sign off on the final site design, this is going to look like a deliberate attack on their revenue streams, and why on earth would they agree to that?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: But who's going to use it?

The walled garden offers more money. Once people get used to consuming content on these platforms then they will start getting ads that can't be blocked easily and publishers will get some money.

7. Shaha Alam

World Wide Web Consortium’s Web Platform Incubator Community Group

worst band name ever.

8. tiggity Silver badge

competing formats

"three competing formats for three competing publishing platforms ... It's also a lot of work for publishers who'd like to support all three."

As the format you need to create in all 3 cases is XML (RSS variant options) or HTML (Google AMP) not a huge amount of work - if you produce some intermediate XML friendly format then trivial to run transforms to create the appropriate output.

But far simpler to create lightweight pages in the 1st place, then no need to worry about 3 competing formats

9. Stevie

Bah!

I wouldn't mind the pinit,arsebook,pop-ups and Google Analytics content if it would load and render in the background AFTER the worthwhile content has appeared.

As for best practices, has anyone at El Reg so much as looked at the eye-blinding ads that load into the banneron the Register App?

Talk about pot and kettle conversations.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: Bah!

I assume the Reg staff use adblockers like the rest of us.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pin-steal, arsebook, and Google Analytics are worse than the ads.

Those Facebook beacons are what they use to build your hidden profile.

3. Jeffrey Nonken

I stopped using the El Reg app as soon as I saw the mobile site gave me more of what I wanted. Haven't looked back.

10. funkenstein

I already used something similar

I used Readsy.co to read this article, thereby stripping all the superfluous stuff publishers like El Reg like to add... :)

11. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Google AMP, though - in true Google fashion - AMP eschews existing standards like RSS or JSON in favor of re-inventing the wheel

Well, to be fair RSS is extremely limited and the extensions, such as the Yahoo media ones, are verbose because XML is verbose. JSON is poorly suited to rich media and would require transformation in any case. AMP is a subset of HTML which makes embedding in existing pages, such as a news preview, a doddle.

12. Mage Silver badge
    Mushroom

Simple

STUFF Google, Facebook, and Apple for attempting to create pointless standards. RSS works to feed Goodreads and USA Amazon Author page (Goodreads is owned by Amazon).

Stuff Facebook and Apple for trying to create walled gardens too.

Try getting stuff on/off an Apple gadget without iTunes, even if it has USB.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about ads?

If they are tossing out the ads that's great for readers but why would the publishers be interested? Or does it allow some ads, just (hopefully) not the annoying types? Or does Facebook insert its own ads, and give the publisher a cut?

What they really need is a system that prevents the type of stupid "articles" that are basically showing you one picture and paragraph per page. I guess some people are willing to sit through that, but between the annoyance and how slowly they load I avoid those like the plague. I suppose they might suck less if each one loaded quickly, but I'd still probably avoid them.

14. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    WTF?

Google and Facebook <...> they're both great at providing users with fast experiences

Can't speak for Facebook - but have you hit crtl-U on the Google homepage? On this machine, it pops out 268 lines of text totalling 175,623 UTF-8 characters... which is no doubt why I can frequently type half a sentence before it rebuilds the page display.

No doubt ignoring that half sentence is a mere courtesy detail. Because there is *no* way I should be able to out-type a text entry field on even the most feeble of modern computers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like