back to article Acronis testing blockchain for backup

It was bound to happen before long: backup company Acronis has decided the blockchain has a role in your data protection regime. As the company points out, “Blockchain secured data has provable integrity because the data is attributed to an irrefutable identity, is validated by all copies of the ledger, is always available, …

1. mr_splodge

The author of Q1_2016.xls should really move away from Excel 97-2003 format.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

File Formats...

You can always open an Excel 97-2003 '.xls' in LibreOffice though, handles the file as well as any non-Windows version of Microsoft Office, i.e. MSOffice for Android, iOS etc.

2. Preston Munchensonton
      Joke

Well, of course he/she should...

The author of Q1_2016.xls should really move away from Excel 97-2003 format.

Obviously, everyone knows that the only proper way to store columnar data is using tab-delimited text, so it's editable in VIM.

3. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Q1_2016.xls

Yep, Q1_2016.csv is a lot safer.

Talking of which. If malware is discovered in the blockchain, what policies dictate its handling, bearing in mind different people have different agendas on what is and isn't malware?

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Q1_2016.xls

Or for something less ambiguous, imagery that's definitely illegal, such as child abuse material. I don't believe bitcoin's blockchain has had something like this happen but images have been encoded into it so it's possible. I also believe that some virus scanners detected a malware signature in it once, infinite monkey theorem etc.

Blockchains can be rolled back since they contain all of the information necessary to do so, but you'd lose all data validations subsequent to the "event".

2. ozor

Never again

Pretty much sums up my experience of Acronis with anything related to enterprise.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like