back to article Hacker rescues Hollywood house from URL scam squatters

WhiteHat Security founder Jeremiah Grossman has published details that could help victims of domain hijacking. The penetration tester writes how he helped an unnamed video production house to fight a scammer who had opened a mimic website to defraud customers. He says the company had more than a dozen published TV shows under …

1. Mage Silver badge

Not just websites

Fundamentally email and web has tried to add security afterwards.

Phising / malware emails often copy large chunks from the legitimate site in realtime as well as during design. The email addresses can be meaningless.

With more TLD being added the potential to have fakes has increased, though the real problem is solvable except by scrapping HTTP and HTTPS and inventing something new. Not going to happen.

2. Notas Badoff

And some say "Meh I?"

Years ago tried to get the local "big city" newspaper to react to someone having a domain that combined "local city name" plus the paper's "locally used shortname". They just didn't care. Buying up likely domain names just ain't their style. So nameking.com is the registrar and someone gets paid for splatting 20 text ads each time somebody experimentally attempts a wrongly guessed name.

But... if you use Google (or Bing or DDG) you only see results for the newspaper's site, at least for the first 5 pages or so.

So... Isn't this a case where intermediation by the search engines is actually repairing the problem of squatting? (The 'net routes around damage, right?) The linked article does _not_ mention the exploited site's name, so I can't check with searches. But I betcha Google and the rest have the correct site when asked.

So... You may groan and laugh at people thinking Google & kin are "the internet", but that might be the safer way to 'surf'?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like