back to article Brit twitchers a-tizz at bearded vulture sighting

Brit birdwatchers are all a-tizz at the news that a bearded vulture has been spotted in Wales and Devon - the first time Gypaetus barbatus has set claw on UK soil. The bearded vulture, aka lammergeier or ossifrage, was spied on the Welsh side of the Second Severn Crossing last week, and then put in an appearance over Dartmoor …

1. BurnT'offering

Bloody hipsters

Next thing you know, the crags of Wales and Devon will be littered with artisanal coffee containers

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bloody hipsters

Are you implying that twitchers are hipsters or do I misunderstand you? The twitchers I know drink tepid PG Tips from thermos flasks.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Windows

I took it to be a play on "bearded"=="hipster".

I saw a twitcher today at Newport Wetlands - he looked somewhat like this ==>

2. BurnT'offering

Re: Are you implying that twitchers are hipsters or do I misunderstand you?

No, and, Yes

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

"Crags of Devon"?

Not been to Devon much then? I suppose it does have some rugged cliffs on the north coast but I wouldn't describe them as 'crags'..

2. John Lilburne

Bring back SWIFT ...

I thought we were meant to be suppressing data like this.

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~wcswift/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bring back SWIFT ...

Not a lot of point these days. The video gives it away :

(BBC) Bearded vulture spotted near Severn Bridge

3. 0laf
    Paris Hilton

Yes but does it mean we should vote for Brexit or Remain.

Since every-bloody-thing gets related back to that right now.

Paris, she's a plucky bird.

1. werdsmith Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Or, an immigrant vulture ignoring border controls turning up is surely a consequence of the tories following the ECB austerity plan.

Because everything is caused either that or the EU referendum, and nothing is ever caused by people not getting their shit together.

I'll also add Paris, because I prefer the Alex DeLarge definition of in-out, in-out.

4. CCCP
    IT Angle

IT angle?

Apart from the fact that bird spotters are often geeks I fail to seet it.

=====

Idiot. "Vulture" is the key.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: IT angle?

"The magic words are squeamish ossifrage"

There's your IT angle right there.

1. Triggerfish

"And I'm a huge wild bird floating on the currents sliding within the drifting wind, hanging lazily loosed on my outstretched wings cantilevered across the singing air. My wingtip feathers are each the size of hands; they flutter like a lamb's heart flutters when my shadow falls over it. My feet are steel-tipped grapples hung on the end of my hawser legs. My talons are unsheathed razors; only my eyes are sharper. My beak is harder than bone, keener than just-broke glass. My keel bone is a great knife cozened in my flesh and cleaving the soft air; my ribs are glistening springs, my muscles sleek bunched fists of oily power, my heart a chamber filled with slow thunder, quiet and unstressed; a towering damn trickling power, ticking over, headwaters of charged blood pent and latent."

Iain M. Banks do?

1. Rich 11

Iain M. Banks do?

That man really knew how to write.

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      IT Angle

There is always the "Lesser Spotted Vulture" - An El Reg hack with an invitation at an Apple event

1. Mark 85

That would be the rarest vulture of all. I thought they were extinct.

5. Arthur the cat Silver badge

The bearded vulture, aka lammergeier or ossifrage

But is it squeamish?

6. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

but inquiring fans want to know

Is Reg the Vulture getting excited about a possible wingman?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awesome!

and with that goatee, looks a bit like Alan Rickman (Die Hard)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"This is special bird and we could get monster crowds"

Well, first off, that sentence would parse better with an extra 'a' after the second word.

But personally, I'd go to look at the monster crowds.

I've never seen a single monster, but multiple crowds of monsters in one place seems an opportunity too good to pass up.

9. Number6

Are you sure it's not Carl Icahn in disguise?

10. Florida1920
    Coat

That's nothing

We've got a vulture running for president. But if he's elected, migratory birds will be gunned down as they enter U.S. airspace.

The one with Sibley's Guide in the pocket.

1. Rich 11

Re: That's nothing

Nah, he'll just get the Mexicans to build the wall high enough to stop the birds flying over it.

11. Stoneshop
    IT Angle

Bearded vulture

From the pic it's a Blackbearded vulture. At what age would it be turning into a Greybearded vulture, and what flavour of Unix would it be running then? And is it related to the Yellowbearded vulture (Yaaaarrrrh)?

12. WilliamBurke
    Stop

Bloody immigrants

Nothing good ever comes from this continent, I tell ya! Those versed in the German language can find an early study demonstrating the nefarious ways of the laemmergeier here: http://gutenberg.spiegel.de/buch/flederm-5684/5

13. x 7

theres an interesting summary of it at the RBA site at

http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/Content/weeklyroundup2016-20.aspx?s_id=481113753

second item down

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon