back to article Apple Watch leaks data

Apple has issued a slew of patches for all of its devices, among them one that quashes a flaw that means "A malicious application may be able to leak sensitive user information" from the Apple Watch. Other Watch flaws allows arbitrary code execution. CVE-2016-1802 also impacts other iOS devices. Apple says "An issue existed …

1. Ole Juul

Oh dear

Other Watch flaws could create a denial of service condition.

So you'd have to ask someone for the time?

1. Mark 85

Re: Oh dear

Possibly the date also.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Apple Watch leaks data

It sure as heck does and I have used the exploit in the wild. Here's how I did it.

I was on the tube in London (for obvious reasons I don't want to say which line) when my target user - let's call him Mr Hipster Barista - got on and sat next to me. Mr Barista adjusted his man-bun, scratched his peak beard, put his man sack into a more comfortable position, then raised his Apple Watch. After shaking it a couple of times, the time was shown on screen completely visible to me as well and I could verify it was the correct time using my own non-Apple mechanical watch (for obvious reasons I don't want to say which brand). I remember thinking, "My God! That white rubber strap really picks up the dirt, doesn't it?" - I was that shocked.

What are Apple thinking of, and when do they intend to plug this leak? How did it get past QA? It wouldn't have happened with a Samsung - either the batteries would have died, or the watch would have been too shameful to wear so been placed safely in a drawer never to be seen again.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A prediction for the comments:

Apple fanboys ridiculing story and defending the product.

Apple haters talking about what a huge failure this is on Apple's part.

People who don't care, sitting with popcorn and trying to start a fanboy war.

1. Bloodbeastterror

"A prediction for the comments"

I loathe Apple and all the smug self-satisfaction it stands for.

But I read the body of the story thinking "Just where exactly *is* this data leak? All I see is a lot of 'may' sentences."

The closest the headline gets to reality is ephemeral's very funny comment above (nice one, guy...).

Headlines really should reflect the story - I understand better now what people mean by "clickbait".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon