back to article Profs: Teacher-student relationships key to sex education

Researchers from Ohio and Kentucky looking into sex education in schools have discovered that "teacher-student relationships are key" to making sure that kids achieve a healthy sex life. Eric Anderman, educational-psych prof at Ohio State, and colleagues including Pamela Cupp of Kentucky carried out the research on some 700 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Xander
    Heart

Story folder name

Brilliant, el reg. Brilliant.

2. Pete
    Happy

Suck the nipple, sir

Am I not alone in immediately thinking of the Sex Education sketch in Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" when reading this article? Hee hee.

3. Michael Dean

Teachers?

Ummm how about a Parent-Child relationship in which safe sex is talked about.

4. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Flame

Woo-hooo....

With advances to the scientific body of knowledge such as this - my bet is that pretty soon those Kentuk-e-yans will be tackling more advanced problems like forming cutting tools by banging rocks together.

5. Jason Togneri
    Stop

Do stand so close to me :-)

..."teacher-student relationships are key" to making sure that kids achieve a healthy sex life...

...teachers willing and able to forge closer relationships with their students always came out on top...

...the teachers they selected for their study may have been more able to satisfy teenagers' needs than most...

...pupils learned more about sex when they were getting practical rather than just theoretical instruction...

...[the] thing seems to have gone down very well with the kids...

Disgusting. Have you people no morals?

Wait, don't answer that.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Pete - Kneading the buttocks?

Stroking the thigh?

Had some teachers I wanted hands (and other parts) on education with!!

(Anon cuz @ work)

7. Georges

What a relief

Now I don't have to embarass myself answering my children's questions about sex and condoms. Leave it all to the teacher and the school.

BTW, does that involve hand-on practice?

8. Tim
    Coat

Why couldn't I have been born later...

I wanted to forge closer relationships with several of my female teachers, and I wanted to "come out on top." I'm sure we could all have satisfied each others needs! Our sex-education was completely theoretical and there was not one lesson on chatting up!

9. Christopher Boomer
    Happy

Why stop with Sex?

Let's see if this approach works well with English and Maths?

10. Pete
    Happy

@ Tim

"Our sex-education was completely theoretical and there was not one lesson on chatting up!"

Aha - so that's your excuse!

11. A. Lewis
    Dead Vulture

Oh dear.

I'm used to this sort of thing on the beeb, but I really did expect better from El Reg. Taking a half-arsed survey that basically confirmed common sense and pretending its a story? Such a pity to see decline even at Reg Towers.

12. Anon Koward
    Thumb Up

Superb work!

"It soon became clear that teachers willing and able to forge closer relationships with their students always came out on top."

Intentional or not what a brilliant line!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Past helping...

"...When you have kids who ... two weeks later don’t remember any of it..."

Ye Gods and little fishes. If they can't be bothered to pay attention in *Sex education* classes, then what the fuck hope is for them learing anything more mundane? Shoot them. Shoot them now.

14. Ishkandar

Don't know about the Septics....

>>This is where the more hands-on approach always sees a better outcome.

....but over here, the teacher that lays hands on a pupil will get put away for a long stretch and will be entered in the Sex-offenders' Register !!

Perhaps Paul Gadd aka Gary Glitter will become a teacher in Ohio after he leaves prison in Vietnam for doing underage girls !!

15. G
    Thumb Down

Using Condoms = Healthy?

Come on, People! Teenagers have trouble keeping *any* kind of relationship healthy, why are we teaching them to have sexual relations?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sense of humour failure

I'm looking at you A. Lewis and Anon Koward.

17. W
    Heart

@ G

Er, I don't think the human race has ever needed to be taught to actually _have_ "sexual relations". It's an inevitability that they'll happen. It's called nature. So let's make the best of it, eh?

But the fact that you used the term "sexual relations" makes me think you don't know what you're talking about.

I refer you to the above comments from "Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse" and "Michael Dean".

Won't somebody please think of the parents(' responsiblities)?

18. heystoopid
    Paris Hilton

So

So does this mean that your average bible belter church going parent within these states is truly asleep at the wheel all the time with their heads stuck permanently up their A* and relying on other authority figures to teach that which they should have done from first principles , truly sad indictment that "Idiocracy" has arrived and is now a permanent feature within the states in question , shades of "Dumb and Dumber" and the totally blind being led down the garden path by those who never see past their own insanity !

That certain socialite syndrome is now a permanent fixture in the bible belt , how evil is that !

19. Luther Blissett

Deus ex machina is hiding up their asses?

"When it comes to learning life-changing behaviors in high school health classes, the identity of the person teaching may be even more important than the curriculum", says the OSU item.

So these scholars haven't heard of Tupac or Beanie Man. Or of the Media-Infotainment Complex. Or of who owns it.

Or of the UK , where nu labour's schools sex education initiative led to an increase in teenage pregnancy - research having found that it was perceived by our noble yoof, with their still-developing organs and glands, as legitimizing said activity. Clearly these "psychologists" have a long way to go before they find the gists of their psyches.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

In the words of the much-missed Busted!

"That's what I go to school for..." :-D

21. ryan
    Dead Vulture

@much-missed Busted?

Presumably we're talking in terms of failed assassination attempts?

22. Peyton

@name too long

"Kentuk-e-yans" - is that an attempt at phonetic spelling? No one over here says that... particularly no Kentuckian - even in Appalachia... maybe it's a reference to something I'm not aware of :\

@What about the parents crowd - it's very true that parents increasingly try to shift more and more of their child's upbringing to the schools. However, this could be one case where the little darlings are going to feel more comfortable and open discussing with... well... pretty much any one on the planet other than their parents =D

23. Peyton
    Thumb Up

woops, forgot to add

A big thumbs up for all the double entendres in the article!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@Peyton

I find it interesting that you acknowledge Kentuk-e-yans = Kentuckians

Surely that is the first step to acceptance.

Gud dey merkins!

(and before you complain about hte spelling, its correct, a dairymaids genital diseases cover)

25. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Reminds me of the local Libertarian party

Here in Los Angeles, the local branch of the Libertarian Party endorsed the Man-Boy Love organization a few years ago. To my way of thinking, the Man-Boy Love people are a lot of pedos.

The Libertarians are forever marked as nutters for me.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Kentucky

For those of you across the pond; in Kentucky, getting teachers involved in the sex education process would be a marked improvement.

Being the Heart of Appalachia, many young 'uns there already "get" their sex education from parents (and older siblings). A "Kentucky virgin" is any girl that can run faster than her brother...

Mine's the one with a mason jar in the pocket.

27. Adam Williamson
    Paris Hilton

Ding-dong battle

In the ongoing battle royale to see whether Lewis Page will Borg the Reg with his unhealthy fascination with flying instruments of death, or the Reg will Borg Lewis Page with its heroic embrace of writing entire news articles in the form of double entendres, the Reg just landed a vicious right hook, I'd say. But I'm sure Mr. Page isn't out for the count yet. Ding ding, round 11!

Paris...well, make up your own joke.

28. StopthePropaganda
    Thumb Up

Best LP article EVAR!!

your best work to date! though now you've set yourself a higher standard to rise to in the future!

29. JC

Who are they kidding?

These days if you're waiting till high school to teach sex ed, you're already a few years late. Of course they were comfortable about it when the teachers taught in a friendly way, that's the proper way to teach anything if there were the time and small class sizes to make it possible. Can't speak for the state of many OH schools but down in most of KY outside of the metropolitan areas the school funding is fairly low, and teacher student ratios have as much to do with number of students in the geographic area as anything else.

30. Chris Cheale
    Coat

Does Pam have a middle name

Enquiring minds want to know if she's a Pamela C Cupp or a Pamela D Cup?

These things are important in sex-ed.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Chris

And were they introduced to Pam's five sisters?

@JC I misread that as the funding for KY outside metropolitan areas was pretty low... that'd be a helluva sex-ed class!

32. alyn
    Heart

Field trips?

I never had those kind of field trips when I was at school.

It might explain why I'm a single, 50+, boring old fart.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like