back to article Compression tool 7-Zip pwned, pain flows to top security, software tools

Some of the world's biggest security and software vendors will be rushing to patch holes in implementations of the popular 7-zip compression tool to stop attackers gaining full control of customer machines. Cisco security researcher Marcin Noga found and reported the holes to the maintainers of the open source 7-Zip platform …

1. Aslan

The latest version of Avast contains 7zip

The most current version of Avast, program version 11.2.2262 7zip from zlib.net . What other programs do you use that use 7zip?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    Unhappy

More guidance please

Could do with some more guidance rather than just the raw information. From what I've read, this affects UDF & HFS+ only. I have neither here, does that mean I'm not affected, or is there more to it?

1. foxyshadis

Re: More guidance please

7-zip ignores the file name when parsing it, so any .zip or .rar could potentially mask a UDF or HFS exploit. Obviously anything you have up to now wouldn't be a problem, you just have to carefully examine or decline everything new (or use another unzipper) until you upgrade to 16.x.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Mushroom

BUFFER OVERFLOWS ARE A THING!

Really!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 2016

They sort of have to always be a thing at stone level. When your mind Is many steps ahead, you can forget to check for these things.

2. asdf

Are people still using C and not using the compiler flags they should (as well as say Valgrind)? There is your answer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Forty years ago bounds checking was something done automatically at runtime - the underlying causes of this practice falling out of fashion still seem be around today.

1. Mpeler
          Joke

Re: 2016 - bounds checking in hardware (and diagnostic compilers)

Ah, those were the days, being especially careful with arrays. That reminds me of a joke our concertmaster (ZM) (way back when) told in explaining the phrasing of the beginning of Beethoven's 1st Symphony, [which could well apply to some programmers(!)].

A violinist is asking Toscanini for a raise (to tune of Beethoven's 1st, 4th movement);

T: What you say?

V: I want a raise.

T: What was that you said?

V: I - uh wanted a raise.

T: That's what I thou-ought you said...

You are already making too much money...

And the freshly-minted programmer asks his boss,

PHBoss: What you say?

Progr: I want arrays.

PHB: What was that you said?

P: I - uh wanted arrays.

PHB: That's what I thou-ought you said...

You are already using too much data...

[looks around for a Beethoven bust like Schroeder used to have...]

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Forty years ago bounds checking was something done automatically at runtime - the underlying causes of this practice falling out of fashion still seem be around today"

This became available a few years beforehand, and in 1987 I used it as a matter of routine for production programs:

COBOL /CHECK=(BOUNDS, PERFORM) progname

2. Colin Miller

Valgrind doesn't work on Windows, and is unlikely to ever do so.

4. David Roberts
    WTF?

So what action is required?

I assume from the article that the main problem is 7-Zip code integrated into other products?

Which don't require a stand alone install of 7-Zip to work?

So the solution is to make sure your anti-virus/malware is up to date?

Also update any stand alone copies of 7-Zip?

Or what?

1. stephanh

Re: So what action is required?

The problem is that an attacker can craft a malicious 7zip archive which will make the 7zip process (either the stand-alone version or integrated as library code in some other product) execute whatever code the attacker wants, with the same privileges as the 7zip process.

This is somewhat dangerous for the stand-alone 7zip: somebody can mail you a .7z file and ask you to decompress it. If you do, you get p0wned.

However, more dangerous is other products receiving and decompressing .7z files automatically. For example, a virus scanner which might want to open the .7z archive to check the contents for malware!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Proof? As I read it, the exploit potentially allows privillsge escalation to the level the process 7zip is running in.

That's bad for system services that use 7zip , but for 7zip application itself, it's running in the user application context...

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

No, not privilege "escalation". I think you get it since you mention that a system process running it is worse than a regular user running the program interactively, but there is no escalation (just delete the word completely and your post makes sense).

5. pro-logic

I see 7-zip released a new version 2 days ago... so El Reg do we update? I assume that's a safe version?

The change log just says, I kid you not:

"- Some bugs were fixed."

1. Bronek Kozicki
      Unhappy

yeah, that's my favourite kind of change log ...

2. Len Goddard

According to the 7-zip forum this is fixed in version 16.

3. G2
      Facepalm

"- Some bugs were fixed."

that's still A LOT more content in a changelog than the Dropbox release notes, which just show this:

4.3.22[Testing]5/9/2016

Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes. Read all about our new versioning scheme (aka why is this version 4.3.22?) at [blablabla..url removed]

3.20.1[Stable]5/9/2016

Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

3.19.35[Testing]5/5/2016

Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

3.19.34[Testing]4/27/2016

3.19.33[Testing]4/22/2016

3.19.32[Testing]4/21/2016

3.19.31[Testing]4/20/2016

3.18.1[Stable]4/8/2016

3.17.32[Testing]3/29/2016

3.17.31[Testing]3/22/2016

1. badger31

Yes, of course. The changelog should detail all exploits fixed, so that baddies that weren't aware of the problem can exploit exactly the right versions. Good idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, of course. The changelog should detail all exploits fixed, so that baddies that weren't aware of the problem can exploit exactly the right versions. Good idea.

While that concept is valid in some respects, it's completely the opposite of good practise, which is to explicitly list and link to the CVE so users/admins/etc can gain the knowledge needed to protect themselves.

The assumption is that "the baddies" already know of the problem - or will soon via their own means. So the information in the changelog isn't expected to help all but the most clueless/inept of the baddies.

Weirdly, even though the two CVE's are listed in the Talos info page, they're not in the Mitre CVE database. Release timing problem?

1. Jeffrey Nonken

Security by obscurity always works! Because nobody is as smart as you are.

4. Eddy Ito

Also according to the change log it looks like there have only been four production releases in six years and three of those were in the last six months with everything else being betas and alphas. How many of the products using it are based off version 9.20?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

How many of the products using it are based off version 9.20?

Well further to my previous post, the version of Trend Micro Client Server Security Agent on one Win7 PC is v4.57 - which predates UDF support. I've not investigated the IBM Thinkpad as I know IBM/Lenovo use 7zip in their ThinkVantage software for XP and Win7 - However, I suspect this is also a pre v4.59 beta release given the release dates on many of the utilities.

I suspect that once you start to look at things, if all you are doing is performing command line extraction of files from basic zip archives, why do you actually need the latest version of 7zip? Although in saying that I've updated the version I've got on my useful tools USB stick to the latest.

6. Anon
    Facepalm

Not an install-over-the-top program.

Uninstall the old version first. Otherwise the computer requests a restart.

Or if you've installed it and found that out, uninstall the new version, uninstall the old version, install the new version.

No need to ask how I know that... see icon.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Meh

Re: Not an install-over-the-top program.

Mine didn't complain. Just installed over the top of the previous version with no restart required.

I suspect the key here may be if you are using one of the AV products that uses it. That'll be running in the background and the 7-zip installer won't have the necessary privilege to stop and restart it. Hence the necessity for a full restart.

1. Captain Scarlet

I believe it requires a restart if dll's are in use.

I assume the explorer shell add-in which provides the right click 7zip menus

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@TeeCee - You might still have the old version installed as well then...if you uninstall that it might ask for a reboot. That's what happened to me, anyway.

7. Greg D

so....

Do I need to upgrade 7-zip on all my machines now? Would be useful information to have in the article.

I assume yes.

1. DaLo

Re: so....

Updating 7-zip on all your machines sounds like the easy bit. Finding out what other software uses 7zip decompression libraries and updating all of those (assuming they have released an update and detailed the fix) sounds like the harder bit.

Good luck.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

All those updates...

Half-full glass: The 7zip library is a DLL so all those apps don't need updating separately (even if vendor still exists, cares enough, you know it needs manual update)

Half-empty glass: The library is a DLL so thanks to inadvertent API break some of your apps now screw-up in inscrutable ways (unless all affected versions get bug fix release)

2. Frumious Bandersnatch

On *nix systems it should be easy to write a one-liner to search for all executables and use ldd to check what dynamically loaded libraries it depends on. I assume there's something similar to ldd on Windows. Problem with that is, I guess that people who develop Windows programs tend more towards using static linking. Maybe EXE explorer [link] can help there. The stackoverflow thread here suggests using the DUMPBIN program that comes with Visual Studio.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Another option on UNIX systems is to use tar and xz.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

On *nix systems it should be easy to write a one-liner to search for all executables and use ldd to check what dynamically loaded libraries it depends on. I assume there's something similar to ldd on Windows.

On either platform, that only identifies "implicit" dependencies - the ones loaded automatically by the loader at runtime. It doesn't help with dependencies that are loaded by application code using explicit calls to the loader routines (e.g. dlopen on UNIX/Linux, LoadLibrary on Windows).

And you really need to build a graph of dependencies, because an executable may depend on library A, which in turn depends on library B. The SVR4 linking model supports .dynamic sections in shared objects, and the Windows PE format has similar capability.

And then there's static linking, as you noted.

So while it may be worth doing, it's certainly not guaranteed to find all uses of the suspect code.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Yes!

UDF support was first included in v4.59 beta (released in 2008) and hence would have been included in formal releases 4.63 and later, specifically the long-term stable release and hence widely used v9.20 (released in 2010).

However, what is going to be problemmatic, isn't upgrading the standalone installed version (ie. the version in folder c:\program files\7-zip\ ), but all those versions that vendors have bundled with their applications, for example:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\Client Server Security Agent\7z.*

8. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Interesting ...

I've been seeing a lot of zip attachments in the spam bin over the last few months. I guess it's time to add .zip to the mail server forbidden attachments list.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting ...

Locked all zip files a long time ago, along with .doc, .xls, and about 30 more.

2. Deadly Headshot

And .rar. And .7z. And .tar.gz, .shar.bz and any combination thereabove. And .z. And all those millions of other lesser used zip formats supported by 7-Zip. Frankly, you have a lot of work on your hands...

1. asdf

Yeah if my admin started messing with my zips (at least internal to my company) he would quickly start having to add a whole lot of GUID named extensions to his black list.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@asdf

1) Why would they lock internal e-mails?

2) Why on earth are you using e-mail for sending large files. You should invest in a computer network.

1. asdf

1. Was just being more of smart ass than anything. They wouldn't at least where I work and a company that did probably wouldn't keep me as employee for very long (if they are doing that they are probably doing a whole bunch of other mickey mouse crap as well).

2. Who said anything about large files? I tend to zip (not xz, for portability with non nerds) every attachment to avoid the filters regardless of size.

Why on earth are you using e-mail for sending large files. You should invest in a computer network.

You should meet some computer users. I spent years trying to break my co-workers of the habit of sending multi-megabyte files by email to dozens of recipients. Eventually I gave up; I wasn't having any success at all.

We have plenty of alternatives available on the internal network for distributing files, both fairly good (FTP, various HTTP servers) and bad (Sharepoint, SMB). They're all better than email. But email is Right There, so that's what 95% of the employees use.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Why on earth are you using e-mail for sending large files. You should invest in a computer network.

You should meet some computer users.

"... I spent years trying to break my co-workers of the habit of sending multi-megabyte files by email to dozens of recipients. ... But email is Right There, so that's what 95% of the employees use."

Totally agree, I found very few normal users used the alternative methods, complaining whenever their attachment broke the size limit. Rather than give up, I looked for KISS solutions.

That's why in several clients I invested in managed file transfer solutions that included Outlook integration. With these the user used Outlook as normal, only the MFT solution automatically handled the very large attachment, uploading it to a server and replacing the email attachment with a URL.

The only complaint I've received has been from a user who clicked on such a PDF attachment and wondered why after 20 minutes it had not opened and was still down loading - not realising that a print ready version of a 5m x 2m banner is a very large file...

9. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

call me "Mr Thickee" but.....

could someone explain how this works?

does malicious code have to be in the archive file?

sounds like you still have to be tricked into clicking on something stupid

If malware bytes zip their stuff up in 7zip format , without viruses , and I unzip it , whats the problem?

1. robidy

Re: call me "Mr Thickee" but.....

There are lots of programs that will take a manual update so become vulnerable.

It's bad practice to leave a vulnerability on the basis "it probably won't happen to me" because you can't predict when another future vulnerability will work with this one to make an exploit.

As we've seen, air gap machines are just as vulnerable as internet connected machines when it comes to malware and a determined miscreant.

2. Mark Dennison

I'm not sure if this is the case or not - but if an anti virus scanner is set to scan compressed archives, and if it uses 7zip to uncompress the archive in order to scan it... and that archive contains an exploit.....

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

sounds like you still have to be tricked into clicking on something stupid

As others have noted, it's quite common to have programs that automatically process compressed archives, and many of them use 7-zip code to do so.

But even if that weren't the case, "tricked into clicking" is not a sufficient bar. Even security-conscious users aren't good at perfect vigilance, and expecting ordinary users to avoid malware is rank foolishness.

Recent studies suggest spear phishing has around a 90% success rate if at least ten people in an organization are targeted. We've had decades of administrators complaining about people doing "something stupid", and it hasn't helped at all.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Linux/BSD port p7zip

Is the bug also there in the ports to Linux and BSD?

1. Richard Lloyd

Re: Linux/BSD port p7zip

I was going to ask the same question - the Sourceforge p7zip (shipped with a *lot* of Linux distros) remains at 15.14.1 released on 23rd March 2016. No idea how much code it shares with the Windows 7-Zip though (none? some?).

2. Justin Clift

It's hard to tell. There is some discussion about this on the p7zip forum:

https://sourceforge.net/p/p7zip/discussion/383043/thread/9d0fb86b/?limit=25#3933

No indication of a new release or similar though, at the time of writing this.

1. Justin Clift

Seems like p7zip isn't affected:

https://sourceforge.net/p/p7zip/discussion/383043/thread/9d0fb86b/#3220

That'll be good news for some. :)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

A total non story

"Anytime the vulnerable code is being run by any sort of privileged account, an attacker can exploit the vulnerability and execute code under those same permissions,"

1. Justin Clift

Re: A total non story

While it's not the same as an immediate root level exploit, it's still pretty bad. Any kind of tooling which can be compromised just by opening a .zip file (or similar) still has a lot they can do from a user account.

It also sounds capable enough to be very effective when paired with a (local-only) root privilege escalation vulnerability.

Re: A total non story

Wrote the person who has no idea how vulnerabilities are actually exploited.

Penetrate, pivot, escalate. Repeat.

Users who don't know what they're doing are dangerous, but those who think they understand security without actually studying it are worse.

12. jackr

I fail to see how this is a big deal? 7zip has no service and unless someone already has local access to the computer remotely they won't be able to run anything against the 7zip process. If they already have execute access then a 7zip vulnerability like this is not going to get them any further. 7zip patch it right away anyway. Just show the value of open source, not only is it free, but it is continuously audited and updated. Well not always, but a lot of the more popular projects are.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I fail to see how this is a big deal?

And that makes you part of the problem.

Vulnerabilities in non-privileged applications that require user interaction are still routinely exploited and used as part of multi-step penetration processes. Non-interactive remote-code execution and privilege elevation are not the only threats to system integrity.

So let's repeat the salient points:

- Many programs do process archive files without user intervention.

- Vulnerabilities that require user interaction are routinely exploited anyway.

- Successful execution of hostile code means the attacker owns that account. That's worse if it's a privileged account, but it's bad enough when it's an ordinary one.

- Attackers have used many, many approaches to pivot and elevate. Sometimes it's a simple as installing a key logger, then mucking up the machine, and waiting for the user to hand it over to an administrator for fixing; nine times out of ten, said admin will start by entering an admin password. Game over.

1. Aslan

**** I've got some passwords that need changing. What you say is totally obvious, and yet I'd not thought of it. I've no cause to believe my passwords compromised and I've never found a keylogger on any system I've used other than the ones I put there myself to save me from losing my work, and yet despite the computers being scanned I don't know that my passwords weren't captured. (One hits a shortcut before entering a password to temporarily stop the logging) I'd have changed the passwords before, but the malware I removed didn't steal passwords according to what I found out about it, but then, do I know the description was correct and complete? Malware detection is never 100%.

Without nuking the hard drive how does one clean malware from a machine without entering an admin password? If one already had sufficient security software in place that might be used, but then that software should have detected and prevented the infection in the first place?

In answer to my own question one might pull the hard drive and scan it from outside the computer, but that does make things more complicated. Does anyone have a better option? Are those wonky on screen random letter keyboards any good?

I salute you Michael Wojcik.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like