back to article Dwarf planet intumesces before astronomers' gaze

Astronomers have used observations from the Kepler space telescope and the Herschel Space Observatory to determine that the trans-Neptunian object "2007 OR10" is bigger than previously thought, and now ranks third in the solar system's dwarf planet size league table, behind Pluto and Eris. The distant body was first spied back …

1. Jedit Silver badge
    Stop

"I think we're coming to a point where we can give 2007 OR10 its rightful name."

Anyone suggesting Planet McPlanetface will be shot.

Unfortunately Hades has already gone - they gave it to Tau Ceti 3.

1. m0rt

Re: "I think we're coming to a point where we can give 2007 OR10 its rightful name."

How about Dwarfy McDwarface?

1. m0rt

Re: "I think we're coming to a point where we can give 2007 OR10 its rightful name."

Actually, if we put it to a vote, regardless of the final winner chances are it'll be named after Brian Cox for some reason.

1. splodge

Actually, if we put it to a vote, regardless of the final winner chances are it'll be named after Brian Cox for some reason.

Coxy McCockface?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Nixinkome

"Puff, the Magic Dragon", Jedit, before everything has a reference to this name.

P.S. Often we hear of gases 'escaping to outer space' but they really can't go that far. Heck, we still don't know if there's another planet at the Solar System far boundary and yet can 'observe' distant galaxies, nebulae and black hole dances.

3. cd / && rm -rf *

Given its colour, how about something suitably Red Dwarf-related?

Starbug? Kryten? Kochinski?

1. Ian Bush

Rimmer seems appropriate given it's out on the edge of solar system

4. Kaltern

Oreo, obviously.

2. PNGuinn
    Headmaster

@Jedit

Planety McPlanetface, shirly!

1. John G Imrie
      Mushroom

Bang

See above

1. VinceH
        Facepalm

Re: Bang

Not bang. Jedit said Planet McPlanetface - PNGuinn said Planety McPlanetface. Spot the difference.

Jedit probably meant that, but it's not what he actually said. So ner. :p

2. MyffyW Silver badge

El Reg

If it's a red top, it has to be named after this august journal.

3. itzman
    Paris Hilton

sort of dull red?

OBVIOUSLY a rusting Vogon planetary bypass construction vehicle.

Call it VoDoza.

1. Fibbles

Re: sort of dull red?

Well it does appear to hang in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.

4. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"...a diameter of around 1,280 kilometers (795 miles)..."

It's sad when even scientists fail the 'Significant Figures' test. They used to teach this in Grade 10. It's that basic.

Corrected: "...a diameter of around 1,300 kilometers (800 miles)..."

"1280 km" (and "795 miles") implies a level of precision that probably cannot be supported even just considering the non-spherical irregularities inherent in such a small body. Let alone the error bars.

Clearly and indisputably it's a 'Significant Figures' FAIL.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "...a diameter of around 1,280 kilometers (795 miles)..."

Why are significant figures significant here?

First of all, let's first assume that the measurements were done in metres, in which case the precision conversion to miles is appropriate.

Second of all, we can assume that the number is accurate to 4 significant figures. If it were fewer, there would technically be a bar across the last zero.

Finally, it's the mean diameter, and there are known accuracy deviations. The errors in this measurement are +/- 210km, just not stated in the article. The diameter lies between 1070km and 1490km.

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

AC: "...The errors in this measurement are +/- 210km..."

Then it's not "1280 km".

It's either "1300 km"... ...Or it's "1280 +/- 210 km" (perhaps followed by some further statistical clarifications)..

They rounded their measurements to three significant figures. So they did round. They just failed to round their figure CORRECTLY.

One SF would be too few. Three SFs is too many. Two SFs would be about right.

Significant Figures isn't complicated. It's annoying that so many haven't got the first clue about it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's either "1300 km"...

It's not 1300 km. "1300km" doesn't tell you if there are 2, 3, or 4 sig figs.

5. jake Silver badge

Uh ... intumescence did not occur.

Rather, the astro-boffins narrowed down their measurements.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Uh ... intumescence did not occur.

How do you know it didn't get larger when they looked at it? Maybe it got excited.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Uh ... intumescence did not occur.

"How do you know it didn't get larger when they looked at it? Maybe it got excited."

So we should name it "Bell End", then?

6. Cuddles

1920x990

So Haumea is the only one in widescreen?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: 1920x990

Yeah, the 4K version is stunning.

1. The March Hare

A 4K space sausage - stirs the imagination :)

1. Alister

A 4K space sausage - stirs the imagination :)

...and the appetite!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Well I suppose we know the Moon is a giant space egg, thanks to that recent BBC documentary.

Which just leaves the question: Where do we find the space bacon?

1. thesykes

Pigs in Spaaaaaaace

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Well I suppose we know the Moon is a giant space egg, thanks to that recent BBC documentary."

I think you were watching Doctor Who....

1. VinceH
                Facepalm

"I think you were watching Doctor Who...."

Are you new?

2. Annihilator

"space sausage"

You mean like a currywurst? Oh, wait, sorry, that's a spice sausage. People in Birmingham may have trouble hearing the difference.

2. Montreal Sean

@Cuddles Haumea has been letterboxed.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

First dibs on Mondas? :)

8. Kane
    Trollface

"I think you were watching Doctor Who...."

Paging Captain Obvious!!

9. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Clue please ...

Anyone point me at how you use reflectivity and infrared absorbance/emission to estimate planetary size?

1. Toltec

Re: Clue please ...

Without resorting to Google I would guess that they are used to determine the albedo and knowing the distance from the sun and how bright it is you can estimate the size.

10. MT Field

Merlot

Time to start naming minor planetary bodies in honour of the great grape varieties. Clearly this is Merlot.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Merlot

Ok, as long as Beaujolais Nouveau can be avoided.

11. Chairo

It is red and round

Clearly the holy space tomato.

It is time the pastafaris get their own celestial body.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Continuing on a Roman theme

I suggest Salacia

She was the wife of Neptune and sister-in-law to both Jupiter and Pluto (brothers of Neptune).

Failing that, why not Boaty McBoatface. its not being used at the moment.

(BANG!)

13. captain_solo

That's no moon.

From its spherical shape and red color Its obviously the Formic ship that has been wreaking havok among the free miner clans in the Kuiper belt and will soon be on it's way here.

14. Swarthy
    Flame

Name it Pern?

It is, after all, a red planet in the outer reaches of the solar system. Does it have a highly elliptical orbit?

Icon, 'cos there's no dragon icon.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

So, mysterious space object is growing?

This won't end well.

16. Graham Marsden

Haumea, as you can see in the above graphic, is a 1,920 by 990km space sausage.

Given its shape, are you sure it's not Terminal?

1. DiViDeD

Re: Haumea, as you can see in the above graphic, is a 1,920 by 990km space sausage.

My thought too. Without wishing to go all 'OMG! Aliens!' over this, can anyone enlighten me as to why an object of the size of Haumea, which must be well above the size at which gravity would pull it roughly spherical, is shaped like that?

Would rapid spin really explain the elongation? Is it believed to be (relatively) young?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

It's all in the spin

"Oddly-shaped Haumea is one of the fastest rotating large objects in our solar system. It completes a turn on its axis every four hours. The quick spin elongated the dwarf planet into the unique shape astronomers discovered in 2003."

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/haumea/indepth

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

murica fsck yeah

Anybody notice the picture of one of those objects had much more detail than the others? Your welcome world.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: murica fsck yeah

Mike Brown is our boy too. See we are good for more than just making 3rd world countries worse.

2. Roj Blake Silver badge
      Headmaster

Can we thank America for the inability to distinguish you're from your?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No the internet gave us that or else you would probably never had to read my drivel. Your welcome.

18. Mikel

Gas stations

All the way out.

19. Johnny Canuck

mmmmm

space sausage.

20. Neoc

@MyffyW

Since it has a red top, my vote is for "Kowalski"

21. David Roberts
    Coat

Mars is the red planet

So maybee call it Pars?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like