back to article Lending Club CEO booted out for dodgy deals

The CEO of online money merchant Lending Club, Renaud Laplanche, has been fired, raising more questions over tech startups and how far from business norms - and the law - they have strayed in an effort to make money. Laplanche resigned this week after an internal investigation revealed the company - a lauded startup "unicorn" …

1. Mark 85

Might this burst the bubble?

With the SEC looking into these unicorns, there will probably be quite a few that suddenly disappear. This could be a good thing for the customers as the dodgy ones will go and bad for the investors at the same time. No pity for the investors here. If they live behind rose colored glasses and see only profit, then they deserve what they get.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Might this burst the bubble?

I saw an article about the funding of Theranos recently (forget where). It turns out they were funded by VC firms who had no experience in pharmaceuticals or the medical field. So the question to the VC firms is do you understand the industry the company you are funding is in. If not, pass or you will get deservedly hosed.

Also, too many fail to understand that many laws are one the books to even the playing field between the average consumer and the company. The assumption is the consumer can not be an expert at all areas of life. This particularly true in medicine and insurance.

1. DiViDeD

Oh, you can't blame the VCs. After all, a VC is simply a collection of unbelievably self centred and unscrupulous people who are sitting on a huge pile of someone else's money and would really, really like to double it so that they can:

a) make obscene amounts of money for themselves

b) inform the original owners of the money that, due to unforeseen circumstances, market forces, yadda yadda, that original pile of money now also belongs to the VCs

c) encourage well meaning (and not so well meaning) startups to overhype their dumb idea in order to push their IPO up beyond reason

d) buy themselves a new luxury yacht on the sale proceeds and

e) trebles all round.

A simplified view of the free market economy(tm), but I think it covers the basics

2. Ted's Toy

Remember it it easy to catch the greedy ,the gullible and the foolish. There is nothing new in thee con world. There are always greedy people who will get caught and always people to take advantage of a fool who waiting to loose his money. Just look at the wealth of the never ending religious organizations who have promised the greatest rewards of all and it is only attainable after ones death. Very cleaver no-one has every returned to dispute their claims.The so called angles/unicorns ( unicorns are only able to be ridden by virgins) very aptly named.

1. Ralph B
        Headmaster

@Ted's Toy Re: Might this burst the bubble?

> [...] loose [...] ones [...] cleaver [...] angles [...]

Could do better.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge

"Innovations in digital finance,"

Mmm yes,

That's basically what a CDO was at the time.

Remember what they did?

If you want a quick, funny run down on what and how watch "The Big Short."

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: "Innovations in digital finance,"

Yes, but there have been a steady stream of "innovations in digital finance" since digital computers first came on the scene. And before that we've had a series of innovations in analog finance for the past eight centuries or so.

Some of these are the well-known bugbears of middlebrow observers, such as CDOs and HFT. And perhaps for good reason; certainly the rating and pricing of CDO tranches was an awesome combination of dumb and mendacious.1

Others have added liquidity and resilience to the financial markets, enabling faster industrial innovation and growth, and increasing the range, quantity, and quality of goods and services available to consumers (in constant measures). Now, you can point out that industrial growth hasn't had much of an impact in inflation-adjusted pay over the past couple of decades, at least in the developed world; but it's hard to blame that on innovation in finance. And you can argue that overall quality of life doesn't necessarily correspond to how much stuff we have, but again that doesn't really seem to be finance's fault.

In short,2 financial innovation can have good effects, can fail miserably, can have some benefit but also have revenge effects, etc. It's not sensible to tar every new product with the CDO brush. And innovation is very, very important for those retirement investment accounts - growth has to come from somewhere. We can imagine a society that doesn't depend on it, but we won't get it quickly, and in the meantime a lot of people would suffer.

1And it's not David Li's fault. His paper was pretty clear on when the Gaussian copula does and doesn't apply, and it's not hard to see how it won't apply to mortgages that have common attributes, such as being for similar properties or for properties in geographical proximity. The quants deliberately ignored that.

2Too late.

3. David Roberts

Fool me once

Shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me!

People are actually buying bundled loans as an investment?

What could go wrong?........

Re: Fool me once

Yeah. They've been doing that for five or six centuries. World hasn't ended yet.

(Those who do not study history are condemned to post the same damn specious arguments over and over in online forums.)

4. TeaLeaf

Where have I seen this before...

"Increasingly it looks like that the effort to build revenue was achieved by simply flouting laws and regulations put in place to protect consumers."

"...but increasingly it looks as though the drive to boost growth and turn a profit has led to unethical cultures and decisions at poorly regulated startups."

Oh yeah, Uber.

5. Erik4872

Web 3.0 disruption bubble...

Uber, etc. are riding this disruption wave too -- basically, do an end run around regulations and build a business based on the fact that you can be cheaper than companies that need to follow the "old school rules." It reminds me of the dotcom boom where startup CEOs were saying the old rules no longer matter regarding profit & loss, sticky eyeballs were currency and they would make it up in volume.

I'm guessing, at least here in the US, that part of this love of disruption is the Libertarian leanings of many techies. Most people who call themselves libertarians think that any rule, regulation or government agency that sets rules is a roadblock to the free enterprise system and needs to be destroyed. I'm not a fan of regulation for the sake of regulation, but I do feel that a completely lawless "free market" will never work for everyone. It would be great for the business owners, but bad for consumers.

6. Tikimon
    Devil

What if all investing was based on a false premise?

Investing is based on the notion that good companies exist, and that they will reasonably consistently Do Well and make money over long periods of time. Oversimplified yes, but this is Comments not Thesis. But what if there is no such thing as a Good Company?

Humans have a tendency to remember Hits and forget or ignore Misses. It keeps palm readers and other lairs in business. If you examine the whole history of many companies praised as Successful, it wasn't always that way. Or that success is hard to repeat. Apple is practically worshiped and considered a huge success today, but I was there for 15 years of 5% market share, many forgettable products, and "this is the year Apple finally goes under."

Why is Success so hard to predict, or repeat? How many great products are from one-hit wonder companies? How many great products are ruined by changes? How many good companies go directly to hell once the founder quits? Are the successes in fact largely due to random chance? If you consider the sheer number of human projects underway at any time, at least a few of them will luck into something good and useful. A million monkeys, sort of.

If people and companies are really bumbling into success more than planning and achieving it, that makes any type of investment more of a gamble than we would like to admit.

The same speculation can apply to Good Governments, Countries, Activist Orgs, and so on. Troubling, ennit?

Re: What if all investing was based on a false premise?

Investing is based on the notion that good companies exist, and that they will reasonably consistently Do Well and make money over long periods of time. Oversimplified yes, but this is Comments not Thesis.

I wouldn't call that "oversimplified". I'd call it "wrong".

An investor may care about investing in "good" companies, for some definition of the term. Or about investing in companies that will "make money" (however we want to define that), or about ones that will do so "over long periods of time".

None of those things defines the central principle of investment, which is to commit resources in the expectation of a probability of profit at some future time. That's it. Solely from the viewpoint of investment, it makes perfect sense to invest in all sorts of evil, non-profitable, and short-lived schemes if that individual investment returns a profit. In the case of a non-profitable scheme, that means some other investor is on the losing end; but most investments, by total dollar value, are explicitly of the sort where someone's going to lose. Relatively few are tied to actual value creation (which can only come in the forms of increased productivity and innovative products).

And that's under capitalism. Under mercantilism (and earlier systems, such as feudalism), all investment was seen as a zero-sum game. There wasn't any concept of value creation, only value reallocation and extracted labor.

1. Tikimon

Re: What if all investing was based on a false premise?

"None of those things defines the central principle of investment, which is to commit resources in the expectation of a probability of profit at some future time. That's it"

Aaaand implicit in that definition is having to eventually decide what opportunities are LIKELY to yield such a profit. Those who are investing would like to know whether a company (or other entity) will be successful or not. Nobody wants to invest in a bad prospect, no profit is yielded and you lose your resources.

My point in case you missed it, was that it may be impossible to determine that probability based on available information or metrics. Past sales, current reputation, projected growth etc. may tell us nothing useful about that probability of profit at some future time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like