back to article Facebook promises release of own 'modular routing platform'

Facebook has promised to open source a “modular routing platform” it says powers many of its own networks. “Open/R” was developed to power Facebook's Terragraph WiFi networks. Now The Social NetworkTM says the more it played with the code, the more it became apparent it was fit for general purpose networking. The platform …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ISIS routing protocol?

The terrorists have their own routing protocol now?!

1. John Sager

Re: ISIS routing protocol?

One of the rare bits of the OSI stuff from way back that has survived. It's short for 'Intermediate System to Intermediate System'. Someone I talked to about this stuff many moons ago mused on Ancient Egyptian deities instead.

2. Reginald Marshall

Re: ISIS routing protocol?

The terrorists have their own routing protocol now?!

Proudly routing your packets since 1992.

Joking aside, Cisco used to have a lot more love for IS-IS as opposed to OSPF for interior routing if one decided to forgo their own IGP spawn (EIGRP, blech.) I'm not very closely following the networking game any more, so I don't know if it's still the case.

2. Loud Speaker

Undefined variable at or near line 1, column 1!

SDN = "Software Defined Nepotism"?

3. MyffyW Silver badge

Call me old fashioned

But I just feel a bit more confident with Cisco, or even Huawei, rather than a social media best known for visual regurgitation of ones dinner.

1. BurnT'offering

Re: a social media best known for visual regurgitation of ones dinner.

That's one way of looking at it. Another view would be that it's highly scalable, performant and resilient - more so than many old fashioned business. UK banks, for example

2. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Call me old fashioned

"But I just feel a bit more confident with Cisco, or even Huawei, rather than a social media best known for visual regurgitation of ones dinner."

100% agree. I'd rather trust a company where by networking is it's main priority and reason for being rather than a company that profits from the collection and distribution of the information and data people give it.

4. jake Silver badge

Sounds like what we were doing with Usenet 20 years ago.

Just saying ...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Physical, Data, Network, Transport, Session, Presentation, Application

Not bad since I haven't needed it since graduating.

Ah, the power of mnemonics !

6. IanCa

ISIS the protocol has been around for years, but its perceived as "hard/scary" by enterprise level folks, and basic kit doesn't support it, so most such networks are a (badly done) OSPF or EIGRP. Look inside a Big Service Provider Network you will probably find a well designed ISIS under the bonnet. it does somethings better than OSPF when your network scale is gigantic. It underpins some data centre fabric technologies as well. Interestingly ISIS has been reintroduced into CCIEv5 syllabus.

Petr Lapukhov is a internationaly-well-respected network protocol designer, its him thats designing it, the fact that he works for facebook just meanss that where it got design/tested/deployed first. The social content running over the top is irrelevant (I don't give a damn about facebook either, don't use it) however his protocol looks very interesting. If its good and gets wider traction, then the likes of cisco will take it on and it'll be in an IOS near you in a year or two.

All People Should Treat Nice Dogs Politely (likewise, for datacomms/info-eng finals 23 years ago)

1. Rocket_Rabbit
      Joke

I always preferred:

All Prostitutes Seem To Need Deep Penetration.

Whatever floats your boat ;)

7. sabroni Silver badge

reliability?

reliability is “.... the ability to quickly write and continuously deploy new code."

Is it? How does this make a network more reliable? No doubt it makes for a better development experience, and allows for rapid deployment of fixes, but trying to class that as making it reliable seems a bit of a stretch. What if someone makes a mistake in some new code that has a bad side effect? Rapid deployment of that won't help reliability. What if an external service is dependent on something that the developers see as a bug? Fixing that bug may be correct, but won't help the reliability of the dependent service.

Continuous integration and deployment is great, but it's not magic.

8. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Note to sub-editor: hand in picture chosen to accompany the article has the wrong finger extended. Please fix accordingly.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So what they're saying is...

if everyone in the world used Facebooks software in their switches and routers then there would be no more interoperability issues. Wow, that's deep. And it's a Good Thing, too, since there aren't any other companies writing switch/router software that have been around for longer than Facebook. Thanks, Zuck, for finally sorting out all of the Internet's problems.

1. Dadmin

Re: So what they're saying is...

Don't overlook the ability of this huge company to make good on it's promise to deliver an improved and modern networking experience. They have all the necessary resources to do just that, and also share their work and/or colloborate with the big players in the network industry. After all, Cisco is just a couple of miles from Facebook, or Google, or Apple, or any of the medium sized players in net. Those resources being; direct talent acquisition, easy collaboration with the big boys, offices and campuses so close they could throw rock through their windows, and the crowning jewel; an ENORMOUS user base and worldwide data centers to deploy the new goods into. If anything, I am expecting some interesting new protocols and/or design concepts with which to build nextgen data services. To NOT deliver on that would be huge fail. All the necessary parts are there to make some advances in this field.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like