back to article Siri's maker finally unveils dev-tastic universal AI interface Viv

CEO and co-founder of Apple’s Siri, Dag Kittlaus, has launched a demo of his 2012 project with co-founder Adam Cheyer – a new virtual AI platform named Viv. Viv, which stems from the Latin word for life, is similar to Siri in that it is activated by voice and powered by AI and machine-learning. Unlike Siri, however, Viv will …

1. Locky

Has he got an avatar?

If it's not Viv from the Young Ones, they've missed a trick.

Vyvyan, Vyvyan, Vyvyan! Honestly! Anytime something blows up in this house, its always blame Vyvyan!!

2. Roger Kynaston

Not just the Young Ones

All the Vivian's (Viv Richards) and Viviennes (Vivienne Leigh) are not going to be too happy about being reduced to a bot.

1. Preston Munchensonton
      Coat

Re: Not just the Young Ones

No, but there will be lots of PFY that will love having their own Viv botting for all she's worth...

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"an intelligent, conversational interface" to "distribute products"

That sounds like taking away the salesperson who cold-calls you right before dinner and replacing him with a salesperson that hounds you all day long from your pocket.

I'm sure it'll be a great product, after all, it's on Apple - but I am much too wary of the marketing possibilities to buy into that.

1. Steve Knox
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: "an intelligent, conversational interface" to "distribute products"

I'm sure it'll be a great product, after all, it's on Apple ...

Please tell me that was sarcasm.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Let's just say that I view the Reality Distortion Field from the outside.

4. Darryl
    Terminator

Software that writes itself

Is it just me, or does that sound ominous?

"Viv, I would like to kill all the humans." And suddenly Skynet is born (Vivnet?)

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Software that writes itself

"I have found three ICBM silos that are fairly close to you. Would you like directions?"

5. Andy 73 Silver badge

Ah, I love the smell of patents in the morning!

Colour me cynical (it's my favourite colour, after British summertime pink and grumpy bastard grey), but haven't we had software that converts a general query into an series of execution steps for a while now? Only this morning I ran a Hive query on a Hadoop cluster that took a general query and a set of metadata describing the domain and deployed and ran a long (oh Lord, it was long) series of software components across a cluster in order to give an answer back.

On the plus side, a developer who does a live speech recognition demo asking for tulips for his mother deserves either kudos or a wide berth.

6. BurnT'offering

Interesting

Cloudy availability of services like this and IBM's Watson should lead to some very rapid and far reaching innovation

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's all very well . ..

but will it be able to, "wecommend a westaurant"?

8. 0laf

What's the point?

Does anyone bother with these assistants. Every time I've ever tried it's so much more of a PITA than just typing stuff in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like