back to article Transfer techies at SWIFT tell Bangladesh Bank: Don't shift blame for $81m cyberheist

SWIFT has firmly rejected Bangladeshi claims that mistakes on its part are to blame after $81m was looted from Bangladesh’s central bank. Bangladeshi officials claimed earlier this week that technicians from SWIFT had introduced vulnerabilities into the bank's network when connecting a Real-Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) system …

1. Alister

As well as network infrastructure weaknesses, the hackers behind the heist used custom malware specifically created to target SWIFT. The code even adjusted the SWIFT system’s printed reports to hide fraudulent transfers from the Bangladesh central bank account at the New York Federal Reserve Bank.

If the above is true then surely SWIFT can't possible deny all responsibility for the losses incurred.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Depends. More than likely it intercepted the report from swift and edited it. Or more likely still replaced it with a "business as usual" copy that looked superficially correct.

Again then it would be on Bangladesh Banks' procedure to reconcile the report to what was expected.

I suspect they just didn't bother, which isnt that usual.

Seems like a pretty sophisticated hack with some insider knowledge of what Bangladesh Bank's processes were. Slightly dubious that "malware" managed all this on its own. I'd be looking for the inside man/woman.

2. Martin Gregorie

Depends how the printed reports were handled.

If "SWIFT printed reports" are sent to the bank over the SWIFT network and then printed locally, its quite possible that a piece of malware on the bank's computers intercepted and altered the report before it was printed. If that is what happened then the falsified report is nothing to do with SWIFT.

2. BurnT'offering

Sweet 2FA!

Maybe they should consider stronger authentication

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sweet 2FA!

As was suggested in the article

3. Peter Simpson 1
    WTF?

$10 second hand Router and no Firewall

The bank's going to have a hard time demonstrating that their IT infrastructure was up to a generally accepted standard of security.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed-bangladesh-idUSKCN0XI1UO

Bonus quote of the week:

"There might have been a deficiency in the system in the SWIFT room," said the spokesman, Subhankar Saha, confirming that the switch was old and needed to be upgraded.

1. Richard Jones 1
      Unhappy

Re: $10 second hand Router and no Firewall

The link made interesting and depressing reading. It is almost a believe or not account.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

$10 switches are fine

Without management features they can't be exploited remotely. The lack of firewall was the problem.

1. theblackhand

Re: $10 switches are fine

And without management features, ports won't be shutdown and 802.1x won't be used to authenticate connections and it will complicate finding a WLAN AP or remotely accessible computer planted somewhere out of the way...

1. Peter Simpson 1
          Mushroom

Re: $10 switches are fine

I dunno...there's something about a bank buying a used switch/router for $10 (out of some bloke's car boot in a carpark after work?) that just doesn't inspire any level of confidence at all in their IT infrastructure.

Smoke, fire and all that...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: $10 second hand Router and no Firewall

But IT is just a commodity resource - just outsource it to the lowest bidder.

4. Christoph

"wider use of two factor-authentication, among other security controls, is needed."

Naah - two factor authentication has been used for years for things like personal bank accounts and social media accounts - surely they don't need to do all that work for something as trivial as the central bank of an entire country.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What is it the kids say these days? Bangladesh going to Bangladesh. At least an illegal garment sweatshop didn't collapse and kill 1000 people this time.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bangladesh competence

Have they caught a single murderer who have been hacking up journalists/bloggers/activists in broad daylight? On the plus side I guess though they still lead the world in unsolved acid attacks the number has come down some. What an asspit.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. david 12 Silver badge

2 factor authentication

Swift is already 2 factor authentication: You need to know the password, and you need to have (access to) the Swift terminal. That's what 2FA is, and that's what Swift is, and that's why the Swift terminal is locked in the Swift terminal room.

Not that 3FA is not a new idea, or a bad idea -- remember that nuclear launch requires 2 people, and 2 keys, and 2 codes -- but there are diminishing returns from more factors, and if the bank can't protect their passwords and systems and swift terminal, you have to wonder if adding a mobile phone or a key fob would have helped.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: 2 factor authentication

But once you have physical access to the Swift terminal, isn't it then pretty trivial to get hold of the password (eg a keylogger, or just a camera)?

Usually the physical part of the 2FA is some kind of security token which is kept apart from the computer until it's needed.

That said, keeping the only access terminal in a secure room with proper physical security would have helped in this case if they'd not also connected it to the main network.

8. Richy.walters

Apply for your urgent loan

Good morning my dear brothers and sisters in Christ, I am Mr Richy Walters, a reputable, legitimate and accredited money lender. I loan money to Christians and trust worthy people in need of financial assistance at 3% interest rate. Do you have a bad credit or are in need of money to pay bills? Let me take this medium to inform you that I assist beneficiary reliable as I'll be glad to offer you a loan from a minimum of $5000 and above.Please write with the below information. After the reply, you will be sent a loan application form to fill. (There are no credit check, 100% Guaranteed!) I hope you will allow me to be of service to you. Sincerely. Contact us via email:skypebankloanfirm@gmail.com

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like