back to article Falling flat: Silicon Valley satire is a no show

Trouble lies ahead for the plucky nerds of HBO's Silicon Valley and not only within the show itself. Last season, it took until the eighth episode of the 10-slot run for the show to fall flat on its face (a trip from which it swiftly recovered). This time around it has happened - literally - in episode three. Last time, we …

1. Herby

It is a shame they don't...

Look at a "real" company and allow its principals to help write the scripts of its ups and downs. I've lived (it was a while ago) a startup life from "first employee" all the way to Chapter 7 bankruptcy. It was a wild ride, and taught me BUNCHES about how VC's think and the like.

Hint: If you get a new CEO, two weeks later there WILL be layoffs (this happened twice to me). I'm 1 for 1 in living through it.

2. DainB Bronze badge

Actually the best joke of this episode was incredibly quiet datacenter, I even started wondering whether Hollywood has a fake DC of that proportions, was it CGI or whole dialogue was a voice over.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I just about fall over laughing every time I see a data center like that. All that waste, all that inefficiency!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

Stopped watching after the 2nd episode this season.

It just doesn't seem very funny any more.

Could be just me though.

4. Richard Lloyd

Final scene was ridiculous

Was it just me or was the final scene in this episode just the most ludicrous thing ever? Spend all night devising a skunkworks, bizarrely decide to print it out (they all have computers FFS!), then take the printouts to work (a major WTF moment).

I know the lead Richard character has done a lot of stupid things, but this was just so unbelievable, especially with the "we don't have a shredder at home" line (don't print anything out that's highly confidential then...duh!). A truly awful end to the episode and probably the worst scene of all 3 seasons so far (even beating the bottle of booze on a keyboard utter nonsense from a while back).

1. joeldillon

Re: Final scene was ridiculous

Ummmm....did you read the article? At all?

5. Graham Jordan

Similar thoughts but it really wasn't that bad.

The gold chain was fine, the fact they all had a go at it made it work. The low 'joke for the sake of it' was last seasons Kick Starter bro thing with Dinesh' cousin.

But the last 30 seconds really brought the whole episode down to it's knees. Perhaps, as you've mentioned, it was just a ruse to throw Jack off, but without knowing the history you've mentioned it just looks like Richard was a dick. He's always been unlucky but never a dick.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not watched it

But from the pictures in the article, thats a stereotypical view of what a tech company looks like - and not even with a token woman.

Think I will skip it

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: not watched it

But from the pictures in the article, thats a stereotypical view of what a tech company looks like - and not even with a token woman.

Think I will skip it

/me points and laughs at the SJW

7. 9Rune5

Ocean's Eleven

I quite enjoyed this week's episode. The final explanation of the haversack (thank you Kieren!) was the final piece of the puzzle as far as I'm concerned.

It was of course not a coincidence that the Japanese gardner was featured twice in the episode. I did not catch on until now.

The show's creators are playing around with the format quite a bit and I think it was a good move.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like