back to article IT glitch causes 'nationwide' Post Office outage

An IT glitch at the Post Office has caused a "nationwide problem" leaving thousands of customers unable to pay bills, post packages or collect benefits this morning. The Post Office apologised on Twitter for the inconvenience caused by issues with counter services at some branches this morning, saying they had now been …

1. BoldMan

We tried to deliver the Internet to you today but you were out...

1. BillG
      Facepalm

"Post Office"?

Um, since this is an international website, it would be nice if the author pointed out which country's P.O. she is referring to.

1. grumpyoldeyore
        Coat

which country's P.O.

The Post Office. We don't need to put our country's name on our stamps either.

Mine's the one with the Stanley Gibbons in the pocket.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Capital letters signify a pronoun. Post Office being the name of a specific company.

2. Lee D Silver badge

Post Office?

Oh, you mean Amazon Delivery Arm Ltd.

1. Skoorb

Not anymore!

Amazon now runs its own delivery arm: Amazon Logistics

1. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

Re: Not anymore!

Give me the post office... or DPD.

Friend has amazon logistics.

Parcel out for delivery on Sat. Amazon "please wait till 2200"

at 2200 "we have no idea where you parcel is, can you contact the courier?"

my response: You are the courier?

Parcels left at neighbors addresses, with the "location of parcel" cards posted though another neighbors letterbox. So addressee gets nothing, 1st neighbor get the parcel, 2nd neighbor gets told that someone else's parcel is at a different address.

Amazon logistics: Making hermes look good :(

3. JoshOvki

"only some"

"However, a Post Office spokesperson said only some of the group's 11,000 branches were affected..."

10,999 I imagine, that 1 branch was probably Dores (near Inverness)

1. Dr. G. Freeman

Re: "only some"

Was in Dores PO, only selling stamps and jiffy bags- couldn't send registered parcel at 4PM, "No computer-thingy"

4. Nate Amsden

kind of vague

Doesn't say which nation, though one of the quoted tweets mentions london.

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: kind of vague

It wouldn't be news if it was the US. Mail is skipped up to 2 days a week for rotating outages caused by people rage quitting.

1. Skoorb

wat.

So, how bad exactly is the USPS?

1. Dadmin
          Thumb Up

(someone figured it out) Post Office is UK, USPS (United States Postal Service) is our snail mail chaps here in the colonies. Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy.

USPS does a great job. I've never had an real issue with them directly. It's usually the other oddballs clogging the lines of the local offices, or perhaps a missing item left on the doorstep that some bad neighbor stole. Sometimes the postage cost can be confusing, but then they have the Forever stamp which fixes that. Are they still doing Sunday delivery, or was that a short-lived convenience? Anyway, very pleased with their level of service, and the dedication of some of the postal people. I think the biggest problem that the USPS has is that they have to cough up millions of dollars each year to pay into some weird government pension fund that makes each profitable year look like a loss. They are pretty much the ONLY government agency that; 1) does a great job, 2) make a profit at it. Some whiny assholes want the service to become privatized, but that would not be a good move. The USPS works well, and it should continue to operate as an example of a government agency that people like, and that does a good job for a very reasonable cost to the end user.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

never liked those brown envelopes

I hope Her Maj is going to kick some arses? They're making her look incompetent.

1. Vince

Re: never liked those brown envelopes

The post office is not part of Royal Mail anymore though. And there's no "Royal" in Post Office.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: never liked those brown envelopes

just goes to show how long ago it was since i last bought a book of stamps!

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Back to the roots and a post box at every corner, I say!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Really?

People still go to the Post Office? In 2016?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Really?

You have your parcels emailed to you? Or do you travel to the shop to pick the items up in person?

1. Lee D Silver badge

As pointed out above, most people used third-party delivery services and/or Amazon logistics direct to their door, precisely because the normal post office is so shite.

I can name at least four couriers depots near me that I have to visit to pick up parcels if - for some reason - a pack of pants is too special to leave over my garden fence without a signature, and actually TNT deliver our "normal" post because the Post Office sold off the local delivery area.

But actually going INTO a Post Office? How very 20th century. The eBay era is over, you know. Now you just buy brand-new for the same price and someone in a car lobs it over your fence in a box marked "Amazon".

1. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

My local post office is 5 mins away.

My local delivery office is 10 mins away (walking).

My nearest TNT depot is 1.2 hours, DPD is 1.2 hours...

Yes, I go to the post office often to get parcels because I can't afford to employ someone to sit in my house all day to accept parcels.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I can name at least four couriers depots near me that I have to visit to pick up parcels if - for some reason - a pack of pants is too special to leave over my garden fence without a signature,"

You can blame the sender for that. You are not the couriers customer. The sender is. The sender pays the courier for a service and that's what the courier does. If that means no sig, no delivery then that's what they do. Some senders will pay for a service which may include 2 or 3 attempts at delivery, some won't.

From the couriers point of view, the sender owns the parcel until it's either delivered and signed for or you go to the depot to collect it. They also are not a storage facility and will only hold a parcel for an agreed length of time before returning to sender. That can be as little as 2 or 3 days in some cases, so don't leave it the weekend to collect your parcel if it's not marked for multiple attempts or "leave with neighbour"/"leave somewhere safe"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I didn't know they let you send TNT in the post. I'm off to send my rather explosive package to the White House!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Congratulations, you just made the list

1. Captain DaFt

"Congratulations, you just made the list"

Eh, he was already on the lists just for posting on El Reg, just like the rest of us.

Now he's been listed to another list of lists.

Many of us are on other lists, and lists of lists, including the various sorted lists of lists of who's on which lists.

In fact, I've heard that I made the list of people that may know about a certain list, the one that none of the Five Eyes, nor their lists of allies, can confirm or deny is listed on any lists.

Bureaucracy and paranoia, it's a heavy combination. Democracy is listing badly. ;)

1. GEB

Of course, the most exclusive list, that we should all be aspiring to get on, is the list of lists that do not contain themselves.

2. Dadmin
      Mushroom

"I'm off to send my rather explosive package to Trump Towers!"

There, I fixed it for you. No cost to you, the consumer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon