back to article Tax fraud wave swells after criminals pop ADP payroll data forms

An unknown number of staff at US corporations are at high risk of having their tax returns plundered after criminals siphoned their publicly-disclosed personal details and a unique company URL to obtain their records from payroll provider ADP. The breach disclosed by Krebsonsecurity does not appear to be a direct breach of ADP …

1. David Roberts

USA system issue?

This kind of fraud doesn’t seem to get reported for the UK.

I can't work out if the UK system is more secure or too cumbersome for the fraud to be effective.

I don't recall online access to the company payroll system from the Internet, though.

Tax returns based on a paper P60.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

Re: USA system issue?

"I can't work out if the UK system is more secure or too cumbersome for the fraud to be effective."

You decide. Here's how I do my self assessment, which takes around 30 mins, most of which is spent on the first three stages:

* Google various keywords and click on random .gov.uk links until the portal magically appears out of the haze (it is over https)

* Look up username/password that only a database could possibly remember - the uid looks like a MD5 hash. The password policy is stricter than any you (probably) have ever seen.

* Mistype uid/password until I accidentally gain access

* Type in details off P60 etc

* Wait for the IncomeTax-O-Generator to access /dev/random and calculate the damage

* Pay tax via a third party site

To be fair to them it is getting a little easier each year. In the near future SA will become a self calculating,direct from bank n payroll affair. What could possibly go wrong with that?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ADP... Horrible competency gap, I'm shocked.

3. Number6

So if you go to file your US tax return and find that someone has already claimed your refund, are you the one out of pocket or will the IRS pay up (perhaps after a bit of proper verification of ID)?

1. joed

Well, guess whose worry is it to clean up the mess? No innocent innocent until proven guilty when it comes to taxes and with clock ticking the late fees kick in. What a great system we've been got in. In the end government always wins.

1. Number6

Britain's last laugh - a country that was founded over a dispute about taxes and then it ended up with the IRS. US government at all levels is very strict on getting the taxes in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like