back to article Brit polar vessel christened RRS Sir David Attenborough

The Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) has announced that its shiny new £200m, 15,000 tonne polar research ship will be named RRS Sir David Attenborough, in honour of the Brit naturalist and broadcaster. The RRS Sir David Attenborough. Pic: NERC While a public vote overwhelmingly came down in favour of dubbing the …

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Nomenclature

Henceforth I shall refer to the Brit naturalist and broadcaster as Sir Davey McAttenbroughface

2. Cynical Observer
    Thumb Up

Fair compromise

....though it would have been so much braver to have taken Boaty McBoatFace, honouring Sir David is a fitting alternative.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Fair compromise

It would have been braver to say - "the winner proves that the British public don't give a BEEP about science and so we are cancelling the ship"

1. Cynical Observer
        Happy

@ Yet Another Anonymous coward

It could also be taken to mean "The winning entry proves that the Great British public believes that science doesn't have to be a dried stuffy affair but can also have a sense of humour"

2. Triggerfish

Re: Fair compromise @YAC

The website for the ship received 2 million hits and the video of the ship was watched 50 thousand or so times, probably reached the public more than it would have otherwise.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> "...honouring Sir David is a fitting alternative."

He's just a f*ing TV presenter.

1. John Robson Silver badge

"Attenborough ... won a scholarship to Clare College, Cambridge in 1945, where he studied geology and zoology and obtained a degree in natural sciences"

Not 'just a TV presenter', he actually knows his stuff as well.

He has done more for environmental protection than most people can ever hope to achieve.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>Not 'just a TV presenter', he actually knows his stuff as well.

FFS An undergrad degree. I've got one in CS but it doesn't make me Alan Turing.

No doubt you think those goons that sit on the beeb sofa in the morning are "journalists".

1. BebopWeBop

No doubt you think those goons that sit on the beeb sofa in the morning are "journalists".

Well even I draw a line at concluding that... I might even make umbrage at their descriptions as presenters - if the definition includes common sense and an ability to interpret the material they are fed.

1. Triggerfish

You miss the bit where he has brought generations up watching and learning about wildlife and inspired a fair few scientists and such to take up their craft, seriously have you seen a lot of other wildlife programs? Plus as a wildlife geek Attenboroughs programs are some of the few I tend to learn or see something new.

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

Controller of BBC2, director of programmes at BBC, probably could have been BC Director-General if he'd wanted to.

By those counts alone , much more than a presenter.

3. Dr_N

"I've got one in CS but it doesn't make me Alan Turing."

Indeed.

4. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"I've got one in CS but it doesn't make me Alan Turing."

Indeed it doesn't.

Politeness precludes from saying what it does appear to make you.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"He's just a f*ing TV presenter."

No, he is a scientist and really nice man as well as being a f*ing TV presenter. And you are a naughty boy.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's pretty much par for the course.

In western australia we have a state theater named after local lad Heath Ledger (you may have heard of him), trouble is Heath never actually did theater since he was a film actor. But the pollies don't really know the difference and don't really care anyway.

4. The First Dave

AND he isn't dead yet, these things are _supposed_ to be posthumous.

3. Ben Bonsall

Personally I went for RSS Brass Monkey

But a fair comment (admittedly, from the daily mash...)

"People don't realize what a dangerous and lonely job we do. No one wants to die on a ship called Boaty McBoatface."

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
        Coat

Yeah. I bet the passengers on the Titanic were glad their ship didn't have a silly name. Now that would really have been a desaster. (Mine is the one with the distress flares in the pocket.)

3. Harry the Bastard

a triumph for commonsense

over idiotic twattery

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: a triumph for commonsense

as it was only a poll for ideas rather than a out-and-out vote we seem to have dodged a Blue Peter "Socks" without need for a ministerial apology

2. andy gibson

"a triumph for commonsense over idiotic twattery"

says someone who's name is "Harry the Bastard"

1. Harry the Bastard

i'm happy to stand for the unpopular but right, over pandering to lowest common denominator mentality for the sake of popularity

the other route leads to things like donald trump and lynch mobs

oh, and i am a bastard

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Two can play at that game!

I'm going to petition for Sir David Attenborough to rename himself by deed poll to Sir Boaty McBoatface.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

How terribly British. We pretend to do democracy, because we can ignore the results if we don't like them.

Science should be dignified and dull, no room for fun. And yet many of the same people will wring their hands at the appalling lack understanding of science amongst the public, but how many research vessels can their children name?

Do a public consultation and ignore the results. How is this different from "UK govt admits it pulled 10-year file-sharing jail sentence out of its arse"?

1. Cynical Observer

@Smooth Newt

Was searching for attribution on a quote regarding democracy - and found this instead.

Democracy is a ship of state whose officers try to steer a straight course in all directions.

'nuff said!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Democracy in the hands of idiots is a very dangerous tool - and usually doesn't last long in the same hands anyway. Some clever people knows how to take advantage of idiots and enslave them.

Sometimes people should have to understand when it's time for fun and when it's not. Otherwise, when you believe you can always have fun, the result is usually a Pinocchio's Toyland... or some of its real, even darker versions.

5. Roq D. Kasba

It was indeed the right choice all in all, and BMcB is still going to be recognised.

6. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Coat

If you can't get the idiotic twats interested in science, you'll never get their taxes to pay for it...

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Headmaster

@Phil O'Sophical

Doesn't the gubbermint get your money before they decide to piss it away on fun? Last time I looked, I couldn't check the boxes next to the category(ies) and pay only those taxes.

7. itzman
      Paris Hilton

The trouble is, that idiotic twattery is democratic, which we are told is a DamnedGudThing.

I am pondering the stability of a highly complex technological system that denies anyone a decent education, and gives them a vote instead.

Boaty McBoatface is harmless enough.

But I've seen city councils get voted in to 'get rid of city traffic', do so, and then wonder why 'the high street is almost derelict'.

1. Roq D. Kasba

It was silly to open it up for such an open vote, although it made the press, which is a good thing.

And surely it was always going to be the "David Attenborough", it's the right name for it, no question.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I am pondering the stability of a highly complex technological system that denies anyone a decent education, and gives them a vote instead."

It's been pondered already

8. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    Happy

but..

.. bet the crew will still call it "Boaty"....

1. jake Silver badge

Re: but..

Indeed. Here in the SF Bay Area, various advertising attempts have been made to re-name sports venues. They are still called "Candlestick (RIP)", "The Yard", "Sears Point", Laguna Seca", "The Colosseum", "The Arena", "The Shark Tank", etc.

Boaty will be Boaty until long after retirement, .gov opinion not withstanding.

5. Sir Sham Cad

Just in time for his 90th Birthday too.

Let's hope Sir David gets to see the fruits of his namesake's research.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just in time for his 90th Birthday too.

well if its anything like RSS Discovery than probably not! Hope she's better as that boat is a total disaster area.

2. Rich 11

Re: Just in time for his 90th Birthday too.

The RRS Sir David Attenborough will be constructed at Merseyside shipbuilding yard Cammell Laird, and is due to enter service in 2019

Let's hope construction goes more swimmingly than the aircraft carrier/F-35B balls-up, else we won't have a Boaty McBoatface submersible to launch off the new ship in time for Attenborough's centenary.

6. wolfetone Silver badge

It's All Wrong

The boat will always be Boaty McBoatface, and the submarine will always be Floaty O'Boatyplane.

1. SolidSquid

Re: It's All Wrong

If it's a sumbarine it'd be Sinky McSinkface, surely?

1. stucs201

Boaty McBoatface for the ship.

Boaty Junior for the sub.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Boaty McBoatface for the ship.

Boaty Junior for the sub.

Please. The sub is clearly Boatzuki.

2. wolfetone Silver badge

"If it's a sumbarine it'd be Sinky McSinkface, surely?"

I thought that, but then I saw a photo of it and it looked like a plane that floats.

But Sinky McSinkface, that's good. SOLD.

1. stucs201

I could also be tempted by:

Floaty McBoatFace for the ship

Sinky McBoatFace for the sub.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Coat

@wolfetone

When is the new airship to be commissioned? Farty McFartfarter... Hot air and all...

got it... on my way

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"When is the new airship to be commissioned? Farty McFartfarter... Hot air and all...

got it... on my way"

Before you go please name the air ship Boris Johnson.

I went there.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the mods on The Reg deleted my suggestion, a while back...

'RRS PENGUIN KILLER'

though i don't know why?

1. Known Hero

Re: the mods on The Reg deleted my suggestion, a while back...

probably as it would only be valid in one polar region.

Cant have a boat that can only hang around the south end of the globe.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the mods on The Reg deleted my suggestion, a while back...

Probably because it had irritated Linux fans...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty much an exercise in why you should ignore the internet's opinion.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

why you should ignore the internet's opinion.

Indeed. Although they should have announced it as Boaty McBoatface first, taken a longish pause to get the reaction, then said, "just kidding..."

1. This post has been deleted by its author

Re: why you should ignore the internet's opinion.

Well, the internet is the open version of the closed ward.

9. Blipvert
    Unhappy

It just goes to show

Voting changes nothing

1. JayB

Re: It just goes to show

No it doesn't. It goes to show that voting for suggestions that are unsuitable or inappropriate may not get past the judging panel who have to actually make the real decision, and answer for it.

This is not a break down of democracy. It is not a curtailment of our rights. It is not proof of an uncaring Universe.

It is however a damn fine example of the mass lunacy the Internet can loose on the world.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: the mass lunacy the Internet can loose on the world.

Oooooh! Hark at Mr Commenty McComentface! :-)

1. JayB
          Happy

Liking it!!! Have an upvote SIr ...

1. Geoff May

You didn't like it enough to change your handle though ;-)

1. Mr Commenty McComentface

Fixed :)

2. NumptyScrub

No it doesn't. It goes to show that voting for suggestions that are unsuitable or inappropriate may not get past the judging panel who have to actually make the real decision, and answer for it.

If a specific choice gets more than 4 times the votes of any other choice, then that choice is, by the very definition of "democratic", considered both suitable and appropriate by the majority, otherwise it wouldn't have been voted for.

Just because you disagree with it does not make it the wrong choice. I disagree with the notion that the British Nationalist Party are either suitable or appropriate for power, however I am honour bound to accept that if they get voted in that it is the will of the population.

"Boaty McBoatface" was also the will of the population.

1. JayB
          FAIL

You missed the point.

The Public was not being asked to CHOOSE the name, merely come up with suggestions. According to the news reports NERC clearly stated they would choose the name. As for the whole "yes it was suitable because lots of people on the internet voted".. you really don't get British humour do you? We have made a glorious history of being wildly inappropriate (rightly or wrongly) because we think it's funny (rightly or wrongly) and "suitability" has not even had a walk on part.

Whether or not I disagree is spectacularly irrelevant. Your whole BNP slant falls down around your ankles because the Poll was NOT to decide the name whereas an election IS to decide who will govern.

1. NumptyScrub
            Go

The Public was not being asked to CHOOSE the name, merely come up with suggestions. According to the news reports NERC clearly stated they would choose the name. As for the whole "yes it was suitable because lots of people on the internet voted".. you really don't get British humour do you? We have made a glorious history of being wildly inappropriate (rightly or wrongly) because we think it's funny (rightly or wrongly) and "suitability" has not even had a walk on part.

I get exactly what you are saying, however every piece of coverage I've seen for this mentions that lots of people "voted" for a particular suggestion after it had been made. If you are asking simply for a list of suggestions, then any kind of "like" or "vote" functionality is irrelevant and thus shouldn't be present, only the method of providing your suggestion.

Yes, we all knew they would ignore the silly options, but if they are going to allow for voting on the suggestions as part of their site, then that's their own petard they seem to have been caught on... what people are seeing is some form of reneging on an implicit (unspoken) vote even though they knew the favourite was unlikely to ever be picked.

Not sure where "you really don't get British humour" came from either, given I was supporting the premise that they should have gone with the popular choice, rather than the sensible one.

Yours sincerely,

Disgusted of Kent

3. PNGuinn
        Joke

Re: It just goes to show @JayB

"This is not a break down of democracy. It is not a curtailment of our rights ..."

Presuming for a moment that what you say is true ...

Can you then explain, just for starters, in not more than 50,000 words, Tony McDossier, Gordo McBrownnose and Davie Mc2face??

Mass Lunacy?

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"This is not a break down of democracy. It is not a curtailment of our rights. It is not proof of an uncaring Universe."

It's a breakdown in democracy, its a curtailment of rights, and the universe doesn't give a toss. They shouldn't have offered it up for a vote if they didn't want a voted result.

Boaty was a fun name blocked by humourless suits who decided to trump their own vote.

"It is however a damn fine example of the mass lunacy the Internet can loose on the world."

Lighten up, Boaty McBoatface is the chosen name, and nothing else is acceptable.

10. Robert Helpmann??
    Headmaster

My Friday Faux Pas

"...with this new polar research ship they will be able to go further and discover more than ever before."

Wouldn't any discovery at all be more than ever before? Perhaps a few more hours and a dose of weekend will improve my outlook. I look forward to seeing whatever wonders the crew of the Boaty McBoatface RRS Sir David Attenborough share with the world. Good luck to them all!

1. cbars Bronze badge

Re: My Friday Faux Pas

I suppose it depends on whether anything else gets forgotten.

E.g. (Anecdotally) Loads of Roman and Greek stuff got rediscovered later on

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: RRS Sir David Attenborough

I can't wait to hear the first time Sir David Attenborough describes something or other whilst standing on the deck of the RRS Sir David Attenborough. Will he mention the name of the ship, or not? And if I hear that Attenborough is being buffeted by gales in the Southern Ocean (or has made interesting new penguin observations), will it be about the ship, or is the BBC filming a new nature documentary? Or, possibly, both?

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Coat

Re: My Friday Faux Pas

"...with this new polar research ship they will be able to go further and discover more than ever before."

If it was a Russian vessel, it would be able to go further - it would be nuclear powered.

11. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

If the vessel has the official identity (RSS Sir David Attenborough) and unofficial identity (Boaty McBoatface) does this mean it'll be a bi-polar research vessel?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sadly, no. Bipolar disorder has nothing to do with multiple personalities. It's what used to be called manic depression

What you're thinking of is Dissociative Identity Disorder - or multiple personality disorder

12. mfarah

I actually like the chosen name, but...

... is anyone surprised that they snubbed "Boaty McBoatface"? Let us remember they unapologeticaly and silently vetoed and deleted "Blas de Lezo" from the candidates, when it became a real possibility that it might supplat BMB in the first place.

And that, kids, is why you don't hold public naming competitions anymore.

1. David 77

Re: I actually like the chosen name, but...

It's the same solution they used for the ISS Tranquility module.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadmill_with_Vibration_Isolation_Stabilization#Naming_COLBERT

Predictable name goes on the real thing and the internet's choice gets a consolation prize which I think is a decent compromise. Come on, they were never going to call the ship Boaty McBoatface.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Coat

"Come on, they were never going to call the ship Boaty McBoatface."

Naturally. It's a ship after all, not a boat. Now, if the vote had been Shippy McShipface it might have been a different outcome.

The extra thick thermal Parka ------------>

2. Ken 16 Silver badge

Good name, I'd have gone with "Belgrano" as having more recent resonance.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Good name, I'd have gone with "Belgrano" as having more recent resonance.

Quite similarly known as the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Ship in Brit circles. Probably not the resonance you think either - worth reading what Captain Bonzo has since said/written about the legitimacy of it's sinking.

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Coat

@Ken16

"Good name, I'd have gone with "Belgrano" as having more recent resonance."

in which case, "Maggie" for the sub

13. 1Rafayal
    Joke

well, if it were the SNP naming it, they would have a clear mandate to ignore everyone and go with whatever they wanted.

14. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Glad to see that proper British values and common sense won the day

Too bad proper British values and common sense couldn't keep this nonsense from happening in the first place.

I wonder what Admiral Nelson would have thought of such a scheme. I'm sure his reaction would have been quite educational - once he'd managed to stop sputtering indignantly.

Re: Glad to see that proper British values and common sense won the day

"Kiss me, Hardy!"

2. MisterHappy

Pretty sure Admiral Nelson would have wondered what the internet is, where the sails were & why the boat was being built from metal. Possibly thought that there was a lack of cannon on board too.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

proper British values and common sense

The word is 'gutlessness'.

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Too bad proper British values

What are those then? Child labour? The Corn Laws? Monumental hypocrisy? If we're lucky and Bojo willing, we'll be getting them back soon enough.

The only value here was not taking the whole thing too seriously.

5. Triggerfish

They interviewed either the current or prev sea lord and asked him about it, he thought it was highly amusing and a very British response. He also mentioned RSS Pingu would only work on one continent.

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I wonder what Admiral Nelson would have thought of such a scheme."

This one?

7. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I wonder what Admiral Nelson would have thought of such a scheme.

"Who cares? Someone let me out of this damned box!"

On a marginally more serious note, this is one of the weirdest appeals to authority I've seen lately. Why should Nelson's opinion carry any special weight? But then it follows a baldfaced argumentum ad verecundiam, so I suppose it's hardly surprising. I expect a reference to the probable wrath of the deity was the next arrow in your quiver.

15. hatti

What if...

Subject to a rash, drunken deed poll name change the boat needs to have its name changed to Boaty McBoatface, after the world famous naturalist.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We might have dodged a bullet...

Imagine if things go horribly wrong. I doubt that any BBC Radio 4 newscaster could get through the sentence ‘Thousands are feared dead and an environmental catastrophe looms after a collision between an ocean liner and the science vessel RRS Boaty McBoatface off of the Antarctic Peninsula’ without breaking down weeping with laughter.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: we might have dodged a bullet

BBC Radio 4, Breaking News!

"We're just getting a report from Reuters that Sir David Attenborough has been holed below the waterline and has sunk without trace!"

2. Frumious Bandersnatch

The only way that could be worse is if a huge manatee was involved.

3. A Nother Handle
      Headmaster

@ Mike Richards

That is truly a nightmare scenario. Any Radio 4 newsreader who uttered the inelegant Americanism "off of" would be lynched.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...put Britain at the forefront of efforts to preserve our precious marine environment."

I.e. it's just some pointless vanity project pissing money away.

Re: "...put Britain at the forefront of efforts to preserve our precious marine environment."

"our" marine environment? I thought it was going to Antarctica?

Perhaps we should seize the south pole for the empire - it would be nice to have a 2nd former colony that doesn't beat us at cricket.

18. Naughtyhorse
    Joke

NERC

a bunch of humorless nurks if ever i saw one

19. Stevie

Bah!

The proper name for the ROV would have been Subby McSubface, but apparently that is an owned copyright belonging to Mistress Alexa's House of Executive Correction.

Or so I'm led to believe.

By the neck others.

20. Eclectic Man Silver badge

William Spiers Bruce

I voted for the Scot, William S Bruce, whose privately funded scientific research expedition was highly successful and came back with no fatalities and under budget.

So, no chance that a government / publically funded research ship would be called after him then.

Still, best wishes to the scientists and crew.

What are they calling the helicopter?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

What are they calling the helicopter?

Marty McFly.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What are they calling the helicopter?

John Holmes.....its a big chopper!

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Harold?

3. PNGuinn
        Paris Hilton

Percy McParis??

C'mon, Lester!

2. dajames
      Headmaster

Re: William Spiers Bruce

I voted for the Scot, William S Bruce ...

So did I ... but my candidate spelt his middle name "Speirs".

21. Roger Kynaston

I pity the poor radio operator

Falmouth Coastguard, Falmouth Coastguard, Falmouth Coastguard. This is RSS David Attenborough, RSS David Attenborough. We are giving notice that we will be deploying diving operations with ROV Boaty McBoatface in Lat blah Long blah. They will trip over everything all the time!

22. muddysteve

A good result.

I think it has been a good result all round. It has shown the Great British (and others) Public have a sense of humour, and has generated a great deal of publicity. I voted for B McB, but didn't for one second think it would be chosen. It was a laugh.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

olive branch?

Don't they usually build scale models of these vessels for museums/exhibition centres, etc? If so perhaps they could put the name 'Boaty McBoatface' on the replicas to show there's no hard feelings?

1. PNGuinn
      Thumb Up

Re: olive branch?

"If so perhaps they could put the name 'Boaty McBoatface' on the replicas to show there's no hard feelings?"

I'm sure SOMEONE will. Several times. <<grin>>

24. Aremmes

Second option

Given that they went with Plan B, can't we just call her the "RRS The 'B' Ark" then?

Re: Second option

Nah - way too small for all the guys that should be on it.

25. Dr. G. Freeman

Hopefully one of the lifeboats will have the ships' proper name of Boaty McBoatface scrawled on it.

26. Camilla Smythe

Thomas and his Mates had...

Thomas and his Mates had been seconded to Merseyside, Liverpool in order to transport all of the steel and other bits needed to build a new ship. Oh how the tracks moaned and buckled in a Liverpudlian way whilst the build was in progress but the Fat Controller kept all of the team in line.

Eventually the day came when the ship was finished and The Queen turned up to launch it. Thomas and all his mates lined up on the sidings to watch the event surrounded by disgruntled Liverpudlians with oxyacetylene torches.

Apparently the shipyard would be closed after this launch but they still felt a sense of pride at having helped to build such a nice looking ship with a very important job. The Fat Controller had even paid for their holiday with Tata in India as a reward.

After a lot of Pomp and Ceremony The Queen raised her bottle of Champagne on a Rope and announced,

"I Name this Ship The RSS Sir David Attenborough. May God bless her and all who sail in her!"

"WHAT!!1!! Look here Mrs. Before you slap my Arse with that bottle of Champagne how can you call me a Her and then name me as a Bloke and whilst I am on the case does my other end, My Face, in any way shape or form resemble that of this David Attenborough bloke. Good grief woman, he is not yet dead and yet you wish that upon him? See my Front End.. Sigh, look can someone wheel her around the Front. I know I have an impressive Arse but I would like to discuss things Face to Face."

This caused lots of officials to race about the place but after things had calmed down once again The Queen raised her bottle of Champagne on a Rope and once again announced,

"I Name this Ship The RSS Sir David Attenborough. May God bless her and all who sail in her!"

and threw the bottle. Everyone who was not going to be made redundant the next day cheered and let off balloons and streamers. Then nothing happened... apart from lots of officials and management flapping about the place achieving nothing.

"Thomas! Can you bring her up front?"

Thomas was quite surprised as lots of officials raced about him but got up steam and left the sidings to collect The Queen having listened to various veiled warnings and dripped a bit of oil on numerous pieces of paper by way of a signature. Maybe he should not have let John Lennon do the Voice Over..

Having got up yard he collected the Queen and offered tea and toasted muffins courtesy of his Fire Box then set off to slowly the Front of the Ship lest the Royal Mug be spilled. Apparently the rails had also been booked for a holiday with Tata in India. Having arrived it took a bit of time to wash off the coal stains and put on some more make up but finally The Queen stood at the Front End of the Ship.

"Hello, Your Majesty. Ignoring your previous assault with a bottle on my Arse and your problems with gender may I ask you if my Face looks like David Attenborough?"

"Uhm, ... No."

"Perhaps David Bellamy?

"Uhm, ... No."

"Maybe Jacques Cousteau?"

"But he's. Uhm, ... No."

"Jimmy Hill?"

"Well now you mention it..."

"God Forbid. Madam! I am a Boat. I have the Face of a Boat. Whilst I have been laid down and birthed on Merseyside my steel feels its roots across this nation and the death of the industry that created my foreboats. As one of the last I would be proud to be called Boaty McBoatface and I will take care of all who sail in me but you might wish to fix a few of my stanchions before I take on that task."

Lots of officials flapped about and called other officials all over the country asking for boat psychology experts and, having not listened to their advice, it was decided to carry on regardless.

Thomas was asked to take The Queen back up to The Boat's Arse but he suggested he had run out of steam so The Queen had to use Uber and after a long tour of the streets of Liverpool, I'll show you something to make you change your mind, she ended up back at the prospective David Attenborough's Bum...

"I'd rather sit here and rust. Not much point in being a ship being built by people who love you and named by people who love you only to be called after some bloke."

Twilight descended and Thomas sighed.

"You're a Girly Ship aren't you?"

"Well Thomas, back in the day you were built then whilst you may have missed it there was no problem with gender so you grew up to be a bloke engine. Perhaps I am a trans-gendered lump of steel fighting for my sexuality including the right to be A Ship."

"I'm a Tank Engine."

Toot. TooT. ToOT. TOOT! Thomas looked around and saw his friends had moved from the sidings to the front of the yard to join him in front of Boaty McBoatFace.

"I'm a bit bothered about our holiday to Tata in India and the one way ticket."

"Fuck me.. Now he almost gets it?"

27. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Coat

The Navy Lark

The RRS Sir David Attenborough will be constructed at Merseyside shipbuilding yard Cammell Laird, and is due to enter service in 2019

So, exactly what will be missing from the boat when it is delivered?

Mine's the one that used to have a wallet in it…

Re: The Navy Lark

Well we can be pretty sure it won't have any wheels

28. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

In other news

Sir David Attenborough changes his name to Boaty McBoatface by deed poll.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so...is the IT angle...

about which British tech firm will be installing the Russian submarine detection equipment?

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The public provided some truly inspirational and creative names

but you didn't SERIOUSLY think we'd let the plebs decide, did you.

31. ecofeco Silver badge

Actually very cool

That's actually very apt and cool.

32. Anonymous IV

Origin of 'Boaty McBoatFace' construct

Having Googled unsuccessfully, I cannot find whether this name (and thus the generic '---Mc---Face') was an original invention of James Hands, or derives from somewhere else.

"Hands confessed that the proposal was not even new. He suggested it last year in a contest to name a new boat for Condor Ferries operating between Poole and the Channel Islands. The eventual winner in that case was the more sober Liberation."

Does anyone have any knowledge about the origin of the construct?

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Origin of 'Boaty McBoatFace' construct

It was Craig Wright, just scrape the barnacles off the anchor chain if you want further proof.

33. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

This isn't over yet!

According to the The Telegraph, "MPs will investigate suggestions that Britain's new £200 million Polar research vessel will not be named "RRS Boaty McBoatface" despite overwhelming public support. The Science and Technology select committee will conduct an inquiry into the naming of the vessel after more than 100,000 people picked the name in a public poll." (see link)

Seems like we're back to RRS Final naming decision pending for the time being.

How about Sir Dickie McBoatface as a compromise?

BTW, give the man a peerage already. He's worth it. And he'd sorta cancel out Ian Livingston, wouldn't he, Vimes?

34. Trollslayer

I voted for Sir David Attenborough

I liked Boaty but SDA is much more fitting.

Boaty lives on as a submersible on the vessel of course.

My best memory of Sir David is with the gorillas, a joy to watch and watch filled with wonder.

35. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Happy Birthday!

Hey, I've just realised: today is Sir David Attenborough's birthday! Congrats!

(We need a champagne icon.)

36. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

This isn't over yet - continued:

Aaand now there is a petition for Sir David Attenborough to change his name to Boaty McBoatface.

"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it." - Admiral Josh Painter (The Hunt for Red October)

37. Howard Hanek
    Linux

A Big Mistake

The penguins, reading the name, will hold it captive until the BBC agrees to air an eighteen hour, seven day special on the eradication of Killer Whales.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At the official launch

I name this ship Boaty McBoat..err....RRS Sir David Attenborough!

39. chrishansenhome
    Joke

Submersible name?

Not Boaty McBoatface. Surely it should be Sinky McSinkface.

I'll get my hat and coat.

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So the idea behind voting and public opinion is to:

1. Get them to vote for a name

2. Then ignore them and do your own thing

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon