ww2 airplane geek? ever wondered about mach 1 w props?

This topic was created by JLV .

1. JLV
    Boffin

ww2 airplane geek? ever wondered about mach 1 w props?

Rather nice article from BBC about Spitfires going near-supersonic.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160505-the-spitfires-that-nearly-broke-the-sound-barrier

ps BBC Future? For _this_ article? (shakes head)

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: ww2 airplane geek? ever wondered about mach 1 w props?

Hmm.

Messerschmidt 163 "Komet" pilots probably did go supersonic, but they had the right rocket powered, ogee-winged and tailless aircraft for the job. Unlike the spitfire pilots (and for that matter Yaeger himself), who had to deal with ramming the wrong design through the sound barrier courtesy of brute force and ignorance.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: ww2 airplane geek? ever wondered about mach 1 w props?

That's a little harsh. The fuselage of the X-1 was designed after an object of which it was well known that it could fly stable at supersonic speed: the cal .50 machine gun bullet. Ans it wasn't quite like in the movie*. Yeager did fly with broken ribs that day, but it was by no means his first spin in the X-1. They practically inched their way forward - every filght just a little faster, a little modifacation on the controls here, a little modification at the engine there, and so on. Yeager's autobiography gives a good account. He was a pilot's pilot, he took risks, but he was smart enough to know when to stop. Well worth a read, other parts of his life and career are even more amazing. (Yes, I'm a fan.)

That being said, the first pilot to break the sound barrier should have been Geoffrey de Havilland Junior. The de Havilland D.H.108 Swallow was a much more advanced plane than the X-1, but such is life.

* The Right Stuff, of course. If you watch it: Yeager has a cameo in Pancho Barnes'** bar. Watch out for "Fred".

** Also a larger-than-life-someone-should-make-a-movie-about-her character.

As to the Messerschmitts: there are stories that the odd Me 262 did go supersonic by accident in a steep dive, but we'll never know.

2. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

AFAIR one Me 163 flight did achieve supersonic speed, but was nearly torn apart by flutter. For 262 it's unlikely that the airframe could stay intact long enough to reach the sound barrier. Small pieces perhaps did.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Odd coincidence (just noticed): both the de Havilland D.H.108 and the Me 262 were called "Swallow".

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

The American Me 262 Project made several flyable reproductions of the Me 262 around 2003.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon