back to article What's best advice for building an Atom-based PC?

If I were to assemble a PC based on the Intel Atom for my mother to do internet browsing, how would I go about it? I'm mostly confused about the power supply requirements and the memory compatibility. I should be able to figure out the rest.

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I'm on the case

Hi there,

I've started a blog outlining how I'm going to build a mini-ITX based system built using an atom core as a backend for MythTV. Not much to report there yet, but assuming the parts arrive soon, I'm hoping to have most of it done and dusted in a couple of weeks.

Blog @ http://foobar59.blogspot.com/

2. Daryl

Atom Building

You build it like a normal PC. Online retailers do the Atom motherboard with integrated Atom chip. Buy some ram, CD/DVD drive, Hard drive and micro atx case and bang them all together and bobs your uncle. 300watt is well sufficient to power it. I’ve read somewhere they that it will consume about 50watts in total depending on efficiency of components. I would recommend waiting for a more power efficient version of the atom motherboard to be released as it meant to be very power hungry compared to the chip itself.

3. Christian Berger

Well I tried something

Well I recently build a computer based on an Athlon mobile and according to my UPS it consumes less than a hundred watts. That's with 3 harddisks spinning at 7200 rpm.

So if the system (sans monitor) takes 50 Watts you surely did something wrong.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like