back to article ALP promises 'fibre' NBN as 'NBN defenders' return with new petition

The Australian Labor Party has hinted at its policy for the nation's national broadband network (NBN), with leader Bill Shorten promising “a first-rate fibre national broadband network” in his Budget in Reply speech. Shorten's speech declared a “fibre” NBN “the most important piece of infrastructure to any 21st Century economy …

1. -tim
    Facepalm

1st Rate?

xPON technologies aren't “a first-rate fibre" even if they are much faster than DSL, they still have serious upload issues that neither major party has even discussed.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alert

Survey?

I'd send them one of my kidneys if I thought we could all get Full-Fat Fibre!

1. Adam 1

Re: Survey?

I too, would send one of Winkypop's kidneys for fttp.

2. Bubba Von Braun
      Joke

Re: Survey?

Thanks winkypop, I used your kidney well and have full fibre to the home. No more scheduling downloads, click and go.. Full Centos dist download in 4 minutes.. But it did take 7 years of putting up with sub-standard DSL, and nearly a year of negotiation with NBN for the actual installation in a Multi Dwelling Unit, that they seem to have great difficulty dealing with.

So mate thanks for the kidney, the fibre runs great, and your welcome to drop over anytime to ride on it.. Least I can do given it cost you a kidney ;-)

3. Paul 129
    Pirate

Boondoggle

ALP back in, NBN deployment will have to slow, cause they have to replan how they are doing it again.

Telstra will get paid another time for their existing network and.... Expect to see all the contractors go through new workplace safety training, cause of all the ACCIDENTS, and somehow the next round of funds for deployment will go to those organisations who have gone through the latest safety training and have nice pseudo union head count.

All to be finally privatised, ie sold to (We won't force people to pay monopoly fees, pinky swear!) telstra for about 1/4 of what it cost to the taxpayer.

My Jaundiced view will get downvotes now, lets see how many of those come to pass (Hoping that Labour doesn't get in, and ACTUALLY manages to reform itself)

People, please get involved in politics. At the moment its broken, but we CAN make a difference if we all get involved!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like