back to article 'Bitcoin creator' Craig Yeah Wright in meltdown

The creator of Craig Wright, Craig Wright, has managed to stay in the news for a fourth day: this time for having a depressingly inevitable meltdown following his failure, yet again, to prove he is the inventor of digi-currency bitcoin. Earlier this week, the Australian went direct to three UK media outlets -– the BBC, …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Of course

This might just be what he wants you to think ?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Of course

You think?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Maybe he totally, utterly believes he is SN (as some people believe they are the Messiah and pull others along in their mesmerizing slipstream), but whenever he turns around and tries to prove it, reality conspires to thwart him!

It would be like a protagonist of a PKD novel. Just get romantically involved with young girls and add a bit of the IoT to make it complete.

1. Simon 15

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.... Clearly has psychological issues too.

2. asdf

Guess that is why CW hired a PR firm. No matter what's true the one undeniable fact this guy is a Trump sized jagoff.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Trump is a billionaire - being an asshole comes with the territory.

This numpty is nobody. Comparing him to Trump in any way is actually an insult to Trump because when Trump manipulates people his victims don't notice until they get the bill. Trump is actually far more shrewd than this looser, he knows when not to go claiming something that he might actually have to prove. Trump makes claims that are just vague enough and, when you challenge them, he takes you court and cleans you out.

This idiot, on the other hand, did go to court, all the way to the supreme court, and he lost all the way.

Looser.

1. Alister

Looser.

Looser than what?

Did you mean Loser?

1. Dr Spork
            Headmaster

>Looser than what?

>Did you mean Loser?

A closing reference to CW's grip on reality perhaps?

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Trump is actually far more shrewd than this looser, he knows when not to go claiming something that he might actually have to prove.

I call bollocks. Trump claims to have hair!

As opposed to what he actually has, which is a dead cat, stapled to his chrome-dome.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

".. which is a dead cat..."

I call bollocks. No way you can be sure of the species.

2. Chemical Bob
            Coat

Re: a dead cat, stapled to his chrome-dome

If it wasn't stapled it would be looser...

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Is the word you are looking for loser, rather than looser, or did you mean that something was loose.

In any case I suspect that you are from blighty because the highest court in the cuntry is the high court, not the supreme court or privy council or whatever you whinging poms have.

1. magickmark
            Trollface

"In any case I suspect that you are from blighty because the highest court in the cuntry is the high court.."

I assume you mean "country", although High Courts can be cunts at time!!

"There was lots of cuntry in the High Court today as the judge passed his views on on-line privacy"

Ahh maybe thats what you meant?

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>Trump is actually far more shrewd than this looser, he knows when not to go claiming something that he might actually have to prove

He's been caught out many, many times. He knows it doesn't matter.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

his nickname is 'flipper'.

maybe Craig and the 'five-eyes' are trying to smoke out the real slim shady?

1. asdf

Re: his nickname is 'flipper'.

Guess they want to collect their tax before those 1.1 million bitcoin flood out what little value bitcoin will have in 2020.

1. PyLETS
        Mushroom

Re: his nickname is 'flipper'.

Given that bitcoin seems to be the safest way for crooks to collect ransoms for cryptoware locked systems and this scam is earning increasingly big money, Bitcoin value seems set to increase as more marks can be induced to buy in for the purpose of paying up to get their data back. That's until it's seen as nothing more than a money laundry and regulators do the next logical thing by closing down the bitcoin for conventional exchanges. Replacement for conventional it isn't, as most folk won't ever get to like the idea of 1 wasted KWh = 1 vote.

3. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"How can I prove it?... How can I prove it?..."

...asks the man supposedly sitting on $450 million dollars worth of Bitcoin.

Hmmm...

Maybe buy a brand new 787 airliner and have 'CRAIG WRIGHT OWNS THIS' written on the sides?

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: "How can I prove it?... How can I prove it?..."

That stash isn't actually worth that much as dumpong onto the market is sure to dilute the value considerably. Its still a lot but the size of the first hoard means the total number of bitcoins remaining is a lot lower and this scarcity is what makes bitcoins have any sort of value.

2. Simon Rockman

Re: "How can I prove it?... How can I prove it?..."

He claims to have kind of done this. If he's got the SGI computer he says (C10N) he should take BBC Rory to Iceland to see it.

4. tekHedd

Yah, enough of that already.

(He'll be back.)

5. hellwig

What?

"I AM Satoshi, trust me. But oh, the burden of no longer hiding the fact that I am Satoshi is too much to bear, so nevermind."

I mean, really? He's probably hoping for some Barbara Streisand Effect here. How many Google searches for BitCoin are going to bring up this a-holes' name without him having actually done anything?

It's like I've always said, history is just a giant game of telephone. Thousands of years from now, after humanity has been wiped off the earth by climate change, alien archaeologists are gonna blame Al Gore for causing it.

1. asdf

Re: What?

Like how the uhn unnazied the world from the clutches of Charlie Chaplin? All hail the Time Masheen.

2. Seajay#
      Joke

Re: What?

blame Al Gore

Yeah, I hear that scissor lift was coal powered.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well I'm still Spartacus and so is my wife, I do have the courage to prove this and here is my proof.

Spartacus, the truth revealed

1. Mage Silver badge

re: Spartacus, the truth revealed

Is that supposed to do nothing?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: re: Spartacus, the truth revealed

Yes, that is how I define a pointless act that is supposed to mean something but turns out to be rubbish, to Google Google.

1. Bob Vistakin
          Pint

The user friendly version.

1. VinceH
            Coat

WARNING!

Do not click on either of those two links. They will break the internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Before being rick rolled there was goatse and the lemonparty.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Megaphone

Excuse me! I'm the only one around here who's not Spartacus!

1. magickmark
        Devil

Maybe you are not not Spartacus? Go on prove it!!! :)

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

CRAIGH WRIGHT DID NOTHING WRONG!

He will be back as a politician.

8. Youngone Silver badge

Odd

I can't figure out what he wants from all this. Obviously if he's not the Bitcoin creator he won't be able to prove he is, which he will have known.

Cue internet derision, which he must have known was coming, so what was his motivation?

Baffling.

1. Gordon 10
      Boffin

Re: Odd

Internet archetype : Attention Whore

1. asdf

Why the internet in front? Been around lot longer than that. Hell that one Greek jack wagon burned down one of the seven ancient wonders of the world just to be forever famous and got tortured to death for it (haha asswipe don't even remember your name).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"(haha asswipe don't even remember your name)."

Oooh, it was that guy who used to bend things. I remember his name, it was... Hermes!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Naughtyhorse

Re: hermes

...god of overpriced scarves???

2. Ole Juul

I can't figure out what he wants from all this.

It does look odd, but perhaps we're not actually following the money here. What does his conversation with the tax department look like? Is he actually making money on tax returns? We're all so focused on the Satoshi thing that more personal and real details are not being investigated and reported.

3. Sam Haine

"so what was his motivation?"

The adulation of Rory Cellan-Jones?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Didn't Rory Cellan-Jones, and the guys from the Economist and GQ just give him £5 each, so that he could send them back from the same address as some famous Bitcoin transaction - thus entirely failing to prove that he was the founder in a more complicated way than just giving them an early Bitcoin each?

So, he's made £15 profit! Now if they also bought him lunch somewhere nice, you can quadruple that.

Here! BBC. Over here! I'm Lord Lucan. Now buy me a nice dinner, there's a good chap, and I'll tell you all about it.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I can't figure out what he wants from all this. "

I'm not convinced he knows either since its becoming fairly clear the guy has some sort of psychological issue.

5. asdf

>I can't figure out what he wants from all this.

As much as he looks the fool just read this morning about the case of Belle Gibson who Australian readers can tell you all about. She is about 100x more malicious than this tool. She lied about having terminal cancer, created a company that made a million dollars pushing the alternative bullshit she said cured her and the proceeded to lie about giving 300k to charity. Even more insidious this c*nt was using her influence to discourage people from getting childhood vaccines or to avoid regular medical care and to go only to "alternative" treatments for childhood cancer.

1. asdf

wow what a POS

Actually its even worse she actually raised funds in the name of kids (used their name, story and picture) with terminal cancer she was "working" with and then kept it. The worse is she is not even looking at charges. I wish the Aussies were as hard on white devils as they are brown refugees. Shame on Apple as well for pushing her app for their flop of a watch.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Makes sense

Being the center of attention on the internet is akin to sticking your genitals into molten steel. The only question is why he ever thought that he could put himself into that position without getting burned.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Re: Makes sense

Maybe he read about the leidenfrost effect and misunderstood the applications.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Makes sense

I still think that should be the title of a Doctor Who episode, or one of those airport thrillers with a picture of a gun and a briefcase on the front.

10. quattroprorocked

I'd l;ove to think

Hmmm. Is this how you manage to recover your anonymity in the digital age?

You invent Bitcoin, then when everyone is breathing down your neck, (not least the tax man), instead of issuing denials, taking out injunctions etc, you do a high profile FAIL to prove that you invented Bitcoin, and thus go back to quiet life that you wanted from the start, (which is why you were anon in the first place, and didn't spend any of the hoard).

A bold move, genius even :-) Esp if tax planning is an issue best dealt with by being able to say "prove I own it" to the taxman. Lovely reverse ferret there Sir, well done!

Tax law note - depending on the law and the way the tax point is calculated there can be situations, esp re volatile assets currently below peak where a tax bill could exceed the asset value, esp if paying it required selling big chunks of said asset into a thin market.

1. asdf

Re: I'd l;ove to think

>and thus go back to quiet life that you wanted from the start

Nice plan except for the next decade anytime anybody Googles your name it will come back with search terms such as fraud and douche nozzle. Its fine if you are independently wealthy and don't ever need a job. Better have proof for that wealth though as the tax man will certainly be watching.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Let's make sure of that :

Craig Wright : fraud and douche nozzle

1. Naughtyhorse

that would look great on a business card

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Frankly if being called a fraud and douchnozzle came with that sort of stash, I'd be happy to go along with it.

11. Mark 85
    Thumb Up

Is his name even Craig Wright? Meantime, the troll has been fed, he got his few minutes of glory and has generally pissed off all 747 Craig Wrights on LinkedIn who are getting hammered with emails and phone calls. Not bad for a week's non-work.

1. Seajay#

Of course his name isn't really Craig Wright. That's the alias. His real name is Satoshi Nakamoto (no relation).

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. bill.laslo

cry for help, perhaps?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ominous "Goodbye"...

... because he thinks he's about to be whacked by the global fiat currency bankster cartel who are alleged to have taken out JFK for introducing silverbacks (executive Order 11110) and Saddam / Gaddafi for switching from the petrodollar to Euros etc.

15. dan1980

I just don't get it.

So you're 'Satoshi'*. You develop this Bitcoin technology which, as part of its design, is geared towards secrecy, privacy and anonymity. It is based on open cryptography so you can't show source code but you can prove you own the keys for the earliest blocks in the chain. For anyone in cryptography - as Wright is and 'Satoshi' must be - the solution is elementary: sign a message with those keys.

This is one of the very few ways to prove it and, as someone with a more than passing familiarity with cryptography, Wright should know this. After all - this is one of the fundamental parts of cryptography: you sign things with keys you own. If you can't do that then, in the crypto-world, you could be anyone.

Wright may indeed be Satoshi (though smart money is against it) but if he is then the only half-way logical conclusion I can draw is that he is try to quell rumors by this bizarre process. Not that that makes a great deal of sense either but it's the only way I can reconcile his failure to offer the simple proofs needed with an assertion that he actually is who he says he is.

As so often, however, the simplest answer is the best: he's not Satoshi.

* - Assuming, for the sake of simplicity, that 'Satoshi' is actually a single person, rather than a group.

1. GrumpenKraut
      Facepalm

> ...as someone with a more than passing familiarity with cryptography, Wright should know this.

The wording in Wright's attempt to prove he had some background was so poor to make crystal clear he knows nothing. See, for example, here. Classic footgun.

16. gnufrontier

Quipping boy

There really isn't anything more to this story than a man with a brain disorder. Such people may not be common but they are hardly unique.

17. NomNomNom

Could he be the batman?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

perhaps he lost his keys down the drain...

Either that or El Reg is negotiating for the exclusive reveal later in the year of course...

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: perhaps he lost his keys down the drain...

I think it's his marbles he's lost, not his keys.

19. SecretSonOfHG

Seriously, who cares?

This is software created by someone who wishes to remain anonymous. Why is so important to know who actually wrote it? Knowing "who" won't change any of the properties of the digital currency at all.

20. hi_robb

Just a thought.

This guy's invovled in some sort of tax thing at the minute isn't he?

So could it be possible that the sudden backtrack of proving he's one of Bitcoins founding fathers have something to do with the fact that he realises his 450 million quids worth of bitcoins could be taxed to?

Personally I don't think he's Satoshi, that Japanese-American who got pointed at a while ago, now he did seem like a much more likely candidate.

D

1. Naselus

Re: Just a thought.

Not really, no.

The 'Tax thing' he's involved in is because he owns numerous companies which operate by buying things off each other and then claiming tax rebates from the AUS government - i.e., tax fraud. He was so blatant with this that several of the companies had no assets aside from outstanding sales tax rebates on deals with other companies of which he was the sole owner, and it's such an open-and-shut case that he has fled the country. Apparently, none of this in any way reduced the BBC's willingness to take his words at face value.

And just owning a lot of money is not, in itself, directly taxable. Interest on it would be, but bitcoins don't accumulate any. Selling the coins might make him eligible to pay CGT on the value that they'd gained, but he hasn't sold them (almost certainly because he doesn't actually possess them).

The one thing that Wright seems to have actually achieved from all this is nicking £5 from Rory Cellan-Jones: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36213588

1. hi_robb

Excellent and informative answer, thanks.

D

2. Alister

So he's an Australian who's had to flee the country, and makes fantastic statements to grab some media attention.

Curious, it reminds me of someone else.

21. Snarf Junky

I'm Craig Wright!

22. Rob Crawford

You call that a meltdown?

Personally I was hoping for a meltdown resembling Jason Russel's (of Kony 2012 infamy) meltdown.

But instead all we get is a whining post on a website.

Tell a pack of lies and then whine when you get caught, yeah either a banker or a politician wannabe

1. Seajay#

Re: You call that a meltdown?

Now Mel Gibson, he does a good meltdown.

Maybe Craig can use some of his bitcoin millions to hire Mel to play him for the meltdown in the film version of this.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This man isn't well.

From what I've read about this guy, it's sounding more and more as if he has some significant psychiatric issues. Shades of Ian Murdock, frankly.

24. Stevie

Bah!

Why would "The Media" learn "its lesson" by not giving this man any more fame time?

The Register hasn't.

25. jzl

Craig Yeah Wright?

Kudos to whoever came up with that. It's beautiful. Just beautiful.

26. Mellipop

What if he is

This man has been hounded for six months. He's been moving between rented house and still the police search places he's lived.

A lot of people would buckle under the stress and all you can do is add to it.

You commentards are nothing but trolls. Will you be happy if he commits suicide?

It's immaterial who he is or what he's done. He's a human being. And you, the reg reporters included, are acting like baying hounds. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Leave him alone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What if he is

You have fallen into the trap!

27. zen1

Maybe I'm just dense...

But does this mean he's asexual and creates himself, over and over, through binary fission? Do his parent's know about this? God that would be such a boring existence if I couldn't chase women...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like