back to article Skygazers: Brace yourselves for a kick in the Aquarids

The annual Eta Aquarid meteor display will peak on the night of 5/6 May, with skygazers not suffering the traditional cloud and driving rain advised to keep an eye out for maximum burning dust from Halley's Comet at around 3-5 am on the 6th. The southern hemisphere should enjoy roughly 30 meteors per hour, with around 10 …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Maximum burning dust from Halley's Comet at around 3-5 am on the 6th? Are you crazy? Far too early. Get them to re-schedule."

"But, but, but, ..."

"Make it so!"

On a more serieous note: are we talking GMT? CET? CEST? BSC? SSC? (No, wait ...) Anyway, what time do I set my alar clock to?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

3-5 am wherever you are I gather. But yes, they need to reschedule that.

1. Unep Eurobats

3-5 am wherever you are

Presumably 'cos this is when it's darkest? Forecast is cloudy for the 6th here in sarf-west Lunnun. Will the 4th/5th be any good? Yikes, that's tonight.

* Get up early

* Clock meteorite loveliness

* Go for bike ride

* Big breakfast

* Catnap at work all day

Sounds like a plan.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: 3-5 am wherever you are

Forecast is cloudy for the 6th here in sarf-west Lunnun

You are least likely to see anything because of light pollution. I have seen meteors in the south of England only when driving out on the M25 and/or one of the Ms to/form it. The moment you get anywhere inside the M25 you can no longer see them because of the glare from the lights all over the place.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

The shower is ongoing for a day or so, but you get the best view when your bit of Earth is pointing the right way, in the same way that a full moon is best viewed at "midnight local time".

1. John Robson Silver badge

Earth pointing in the right direction...

Indeed.

3-5 am the bit of earth you are on is both dark and moving towards the relevant piece of space pretty fast. So it's not a timezone related thing (although I presume that DST is ignored)

2. TRT Silver badge

I almost read that as...

What time do I set my altar clock to?

*gets goat*

Re: I almost read that as...

Yeah, sorry about the typo, my son, bless you... but did you mean goat or coat?

On a related note, I am really with Jasper Fforde on this one: it should be spelled "mispeling".

1. TRT Silver badge

Coat. Definitely coat. Yes, not goat. No. Goats and altars at a specific astronomical event? My word. What would the neighbours think?

1. Oengus

"Goats and altars at a specific astronomical event? My word. What would the neighbours think?"

Dinner time...

I'll fire up the spit roast.

2. Captain DaFt

Well, I parsed it as written, "alar clock", and was wondering what spraying apple trees on time had to do with meteor showers.

2. Spindreams

Every time I see an announcement about a meteor shower I think, okay lets give it a go and invariably I wait up till 1am and go stand outside in the cold looking up at the sky (causing myself massive neck pain in the process) and occasionally see what I think might be a shooting star but could just have been a stray tear in my eye from the pain in my neck and having not blinked for the last 10 minutes. Then after an hour I say fuck this and go inside to warm up and get on with my life again. Next time I better see fire balls streaking across the sky every second or I am calling bullshit to this stuff.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fiery bullshit streaking across the sky would be hugely impressive.

I'm sure that if we could get the bull to fly at 240,000km/h, getting the shit out would be simple enough. The problems would be 1: accelerating said bull and 2: making it fly.

There is only one problem: accelerating.

As long as you point the bull upward, everythng else will sort itself out nicely, including the in-flight BS deposit.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Coat

Yeah, but what is the speed of a bull in vacuum? Does that lack of wool and larger mass make a difference compared to a sheep in a vacuum?

The woolly one --------------->

1. AndrueC Silver badge
          Joke

Wow. That bull will be really moo-ving when it hits the atmosphere.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Wow. That bull will be really moo-ving when it hits the atmosphere."

That was a Low pun...

3. VinceH

"making it fly."

If a cow can jump over the moon, then a bull can bloody well fly.

4. Mark 85

The problems would be 1: accelerating said bull and 2: making it fly.

I'm sure SpaceX could help the first problem.... The second problem requires said bull to step outside the capsule and head towards earth.,,

I'm thinking a pig would be better as when that happens all sorts of prophecies will then be fulfilled.

5. FozzyBear
        Thumb Up

Considering the BS that flies around our office

I can not only confirm that BS can fly at said speed but in much greater volumes than thought possible.

2. Cuddles

"stand outside in the cold looking up at the sky (causing myself massive neck pain in the process)"

The trick to sky gazing is having a decent airbed or deckchair.

3. Alistair

@spindreams

Blanket. (hell, long floaty pool thing if you need it)

Lie Down.

Neck solved.

@AC (Fiery bullshit)

Trump, attached to misfiring Kuznetsov-33s. No bull required.

4. Alister

Halley's Comet.

The comet itself has an orbital period of between 75–76 years, and was last visible from Earth in 1986 as it passed through the inner solar system. Its next scheduled visit is in 2061

Can you imagine the palaver if it took a short-cut this time and turned up 20 years early...

1. VinceH

Re: Halley's Comet.

Or missed the bus, so had to wait another 75-76 years for the next one.

5. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Miraculously

the forecast is clear over here in the north of the Netherlands! What next, flying pigs?

Flying pigs

Yes, which will completely block your view of the meteor shower.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Flying pigs

If the flying pigs are coming in at orbital velocity....ROAST PORK AND CRACKLING!!!!!

If the flying pigs are coming in at orbital velocity....ROAST PORK AND CRACKLING!!!!!

Probably not unfortunately...

https://what-if.xkcd.com/28/

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The steak reaches a top speed of Mach 6, and the outer surface may even get pleasantly seared. The inside, unfortunately, is still uncooked. Unless, that is, it goes into a hypersonic tumble and explodes into chunks."

I'll happily settle for chunks of pork. Some of it will be bacon!!!!

6. harmjschoonhoven
    Pint

If you missed the Aquarid meteor display

or just slept through it, you could try to observe the transit of Mercury on May 9 2016, 11:12-18:42 UTC.

Use binoculars or a small telescope to project the image of the Sun on a sheet of paper.Never look at the Sun directly.

Re: If you missed the Aquarid meteor display

Use binoculars or a small telescope to project the image of the Sun on a sheet of paper.Never look at the Sun directly.

Potentially easier is to use a mirror as a "pinhole":

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~hemh/transit.htm

All you need is

A mirror - a compact makeup mirror should do...

Some way of masking off all but a small section - masking tape will do, the section can be square

Some way of holding it still

A darkish (close most of the curtains) room which faces north.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If you missed the Aquarid meteor display

So let me get this straight...

Use binoculars or a small telescope to blah blah blah look at the Sun directly.

Okay. Check!

7. W4YBO

I just saw one!

Eureka! 4:19 am EDT 05-May-16 A meteor just bisected a hole in the clouds as I happened to be looking. Traveling east to northwest (Aquarius radiant), kinda gold colored, with a short persistence ionization trail, 7 or 8 degrees long. Slower than I expected for an Aquarid. I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning. I might even get up early.

Re: I just saw one!

Nice one. Overcast here, with rain for the next two days at least, so no chance of a sighting this time around.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon