back to article Jenkins 2.0, where the devil have you been?

The Jenkins project has declared a new focus on ease of use after finally delivering version 2 of the automaton platform, a mere 10 years after version 1 hit the streets. While the community behind the platform has not exactly been idle - pushing out 655 weekly releases of the platform - the latest release delivers on a number …

1. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Jenkins is a great way to run a collection of batch files in response to a trigger or on a schedule :D

But joking aside the range of plugins can be confusing. Getting unit test coverage reports was particularly tricky (but looks nice now we've got it).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The free in Jenkins shows. Compared to a proper enterprise offering like atlassian, Jenkins is noddy.

1. Anonymous Curd

Yeah, used to be Bamboo did one thing and one thing only, but it's come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years. For the last year or so I've exclusively preferred it over Jenkins. Getting Jenkins to do a pretty standard batch of steps (maven build, test, publish, integration test, quality report, optionally promote version + deploy with status dashboard & access control) is an absolute pain in the arse. Hopefully this fixes that.

2. Steve Aubrey

Math lesson

655 weekly releases in ten years. Even being generous and saying every year had 53 weeks, we're still off by fifteen to twenty percent.

DEVOPS FOR THE WIN!!!!!

3. James 51

Given how many year it took to get Jenkins 1 setup (and the guy who did it has left) I wonder how long till we get round to upgrading.

4. Lusty

Sounds like progress. I hate to say it but this is an area where Microsoft actually have some really, really nice tools. They aren't all free and certainly aren't trendy but they really are rather good. If Jenkins can come closer to that I'll be far less confused by its success.

5. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    Meh

Thought it was just me

But from the comments, I can tell it's not: I really, really wanted to make Jenkins work. Maybe if 2.0 had been out and really production ready. But in head to head and in demo to the powers that be (who are actually tech savvy), Bamboo won out by a large margin.

Once Bamboo was running, remote agents and all, it's done. With Jenkins (1.x) I felt the fiddling never ended.

6. Someone Else Silver badge
    Coat

Now, if they only...

...fix it so that the edit fields and combo boxes on the config pages stay populated with their current values each time you open them...then they might have something!

Or, at least, something useful...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Massive pain the arse

The devs found it as a massive pain the arse and the interface is a horror show, and moved to Bamboo which is a million times easier to use.

8. richbos

Junkins

Bamboo is slick but in my experience needs quite a level of resource (to self host), whereas Thoughtworks GoCD will happily roll along on a low end EC2, is intelligently designed and doesn't look like some home user project from the last decade.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like