back to article What's Zuck planning with his Facebook bots? Maximum $ilo revenue

Facebook smashed through expectations for its first quarter of the year. A surge in mobile ads saw revenue up 52 per cent to $5.38bn while the user base grew to 1.65 billion – 22 per cent of the world’s population, and extracting every byte of data (and every penny from those bytes) from that existing user base is the company' …

1. jake Silver badge

Whatever.

I aggressively block the zuck-Dork just as I do the goo-tards. Neither of them are a positive return on investment ... unless you like noise and minutia.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm (fake) Morgan Freeman: Ask me anything

I remember hearing about how Reddit "ask me anything" had become infested with fakes celebrities, where their PR team was promoting something or other, and people were angry when they discovered the subterfuge.

This is sort of like that but worse. Who would want to talk to a fake celebrity bot? Chat bots are as close to passing the Turing test as they were in the 90s. Sure you can cheat and use stupider humans until they are fooled, but seriously this whole thing is nonsense.

3. werdsmith Silver badge

Contradiction

"....I am an open source advocate and support open source software, I actively encourage my family and friends to dump windows and use Linux on their desktop computers....."

".....but I am too lazy to find a better way of communicating with my friends and relatives so I sell myself out to a corporate internet intermediary that is slowly ratcheting control over the web by way of a fatuous brainless social media service ...."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Contradiction

Who are you even talking to?

I communicate with friends and family by email. My theory is that if it's worth hearing, they'll take the time to write a specifically addressed message. This cuts down on 99% of the noise.

Actually facebook is the septic tank for email. All the shit like HTML emails, and chain letters which used to circulate by email migrated to facebook.

Now sure there's a chance that I'll miss a wedding because they ONLY posted it on facebook, but ... well did I really want someone that stupid as a friend in the first place?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

To paraphrase Groucho Marx,

"I wouldn't care to attend to any wedding that was only announced on Facebook"

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Who are you even talking to?

They know who they are.

1. e^iπ+1=0

"They know who they are."

Or, more plausibly, they know who YOU are, where you live ...

4. Cuddles

"22 per cent of the world’s population"

Or, more accurately and somewhat ironically given the topic, around 5-10% of the world's population plus a shitload of bots and spammers.

5. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Peak Bot

One can only wonder if there will be a time when Faecebook is populated solely be bots and people called Charlene.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Peak Bot

We look back at regency era and think it strange that everyone is painted stark white, with powdered whigs.

People will look back at this era and say why was everyone bright orange!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any company that tries to force me through someone else "services"...

... gets to money from me. Anybody who thinks to "externalize" its customers interaction through Facebook or others, sends me elsewhere.

And thanks to heaven I have no need to "interact" with (fake) "celebrities" beyond what the do in a recording, movie or a sporting field. I don't even read interviews, read one, read all of them...

7. Alistair
    Coat

Movie version:

I'm sorry Mark, I can't let you do that.....

HAL, I am the internet, b%%ch!

<well, that's what *he* believes. Hopefully he gets to see what is inside the monolith>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like