back to article Miniature car maker drops massive malware

Popular die cast car manufacturer Maisto has been slinging the deadly Angler exploit kit which in turn installs the Cryptxxx ransomware on victim machines. The site appears to have been compromised through an outdated Joomla content management system in what is likely the pseudo-darkleech campaign reported by Sucuri. …

1. MondoMan

I'm not surprised that "Joolma" would lack patches. I recently ran a diagnostic on my laptop's RAM, only to have it report that I had a "Kinston" module installed -- ?.

2. MondoMan
  3. unwarranted triumphalism

Adblockers bad

'Segura reported last month that more than 400 malicious advertisements were shipped through pwned ad network AdsTerra in two weeks.

Those ads dropped the hugely successful Magnitude exploit kit'

But... I've been told that adbockers are bad for the internet.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Adblockers bad

Reg commentard FF22 seems to remarkably quiet on all these recent stories of malicious ads coming from apparently "respectable" sites and ad-slingers. I'd really like him or her to comment on this side of things and let us know the thoughts and liabilities of the ad industry.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, thats

almost the last nail in the coffin for the ad industry as more and more people are now beginning to consider ad blocking software as a pre-requiste alongside other contemporary AV/Malware solutions.

If my machine is compromised, can i sue the advertisers who are slinging this crap my way?

No, i cant, so what can i do?

I can block them at source and any website that baulks about my adblocker is simply confined to the "do not visit" bin.

Online ad slingers, despite being able to clean up their shit simply wont deal with the issue.

As long as their ads are being clicked and generating revenue, they will have no reason or incentive to intervene.

So, i have to do their work for them and as it doesn't cost me anything to do so, then blocking ALL ads is, frankly, the only way forward.

Ad companies, sort your shit out else you are in for a very rough ride.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well, thats

Lucid and laser focused response!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well, thats

Yes, just like all the Windows malware made everyone start using AV software on their PC. Oh wait...

The number of people not using ad blockers who are going to start because of ad network malware is pretty small. Those who are going to use ad blockers mostly already are, modulo people finding better ways to integrate ad blockers into Android which Google of course makes deliberately difficult as they view it as taking money out of their pocket.

5. Gene Cash Silver badge

Interesting - work has started blocking ads

As an experiment 2 months ago, I unblocked El Reg, intending to throw a snit-fit if I ran into obnoxious ads. Amazingly, I have not. They've all been well behaved.

However, as of 01-May, work has started blocking ads, resulting in boxes saying:

Access to this site is not permitted by the Acceptable Use Policy.

This website has been explicitly blocked for possible reasons outlined below.

URL: http://s0.2mdn.net/ads/richmedia/studio/pv2/42625698/20160419020221151/index.html?e=69&renderingType=2&leftOffset=0&topOffset=0&c=2fNxt5XYM4&;t=1

URL Categories: Web Ads

Media Type:

Code: Global URL Domain BlockList

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Shadow Systems

Dear Advertisers, take note.

We block ads because of shit like this.

Clean up your act, police the ads you serve, punish those that sling malicious content, and stop whining that it's OUR fault that you're going bankrupt. Nobody owes you a profit, & if your current business model is taking the piss, then it's high time to find a new business model.

I don't have Flash installed, don't have SilverLight installed, don't let scripts run, block all the third party cookies, & use a HOSTS file. It's to protect myself from the fact that I don't want your shit splooged all over my computer.

Now go away. We've got better things to do than sit here listening to you bitch & moan about our use of ad blockers, & you've got too much work to do to clean up your act. *Shoo*

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like