back to article Score one for the patent trolls: US appeals court says it's OK to shop for patent-friendly judges

US appeal judges have shot down a bid to end the practice of so-called venue shopping in patent battles. That's where companies alleging infringement pick judges who typically back those bringing a case, which puts defendants at an immediate disadvantage. On Friday, the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit rejected [ …

1. Rol

Texas. The nanny go[a]to state for trolls!

Has anybody ever quantified the true cost of American justice to its own and the rest of the world?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Texas. The nanny go[a]to state for trolls!

I'm sure it's easily destroyed economic activity at least a 100 times the value of the protection money collected.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Try, literally a billion times.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

You do realize that beyond the patent lawsuits finding the appropriate venue is part of the legal process. So you can't say 'aha! this is a patent suit and you cannot pick your venue....'

The larger issue is changing the patent laws in general. Software patents should never have been allowed in the first place. But any meaningful attempts were shut down by Reid because he being backed by the trial attorney's association. That goes too for tort reform.

That's what needs to change.

Not picking your venue.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The larger issue is that America has excessive influence in the world, and needs to be told to eat shit.

That's what needs to change.

Not reforming patent law (in America).

1. Katie Saucey
          Holmes

Butt-hurt euro detected

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Well obviously, although "butt-hurt" trivializes a very serious matter. US foreign policy is as cancerous as they come.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Weasels!

Perhaps CERN could invite the Delaware Appeal Court Judges to come and chew on some of its cables?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Weasels!

I doubt it, but maybe he could be convinced to hold these two wires. For the advancement of science, of course.

1. Danny 14

Or attempt to smash patent lawyers together at close to superluminal speeds to see if you can create a passable human being out of a few of them.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

That would only create unobtaintium Danny.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Joke

Now that you wrote it they will find someone who will patent the method so they can sue you before you smash them. And hope that while being accelerated they don't travel back in time, otherwise they will patent the circle and the then sue the CERN for having built one.

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Presumably the principle at stake here is that it shouldn't matter where you sue because all judges are equally fabulous. Alternatively, the principle might be that by hearing all cases of a particular type, a court might eventually develop some expertise in handling them. Both seem to me to be reasonable (if contradictory) arguments, so I'm not terribly surprised by this decision and I don't expect any future court to ever turn round and say "You can't sue there, the judges are rubbish.".

1. a_yank_lurker

The theory has been tried and found rather wanting. The real issue is suing in a carefully selected court is not justice. There are two basic solutions to the judge shopping: all cases must be filed in the defendant's district court or the case is filed, then randomly assigned to any district court. The first says you sue in the defendant's home turf and then must convince the judge that a change of venue is required (not likely). The second says the case is filed in your local district court but it may be assigned to any court in the country with no change of venue allowed.

1. BitDr
        Pint

Have an upvote!

The ability to select a court that is biased indicates that the system is broken and/or corrupted. The lady holding those scales is supposed to be impartial, that's why she is depicted wearing a blindfold.

1. Vic

Re: Have an upvote!

The ability to select a court that is biased indicates that the system is broken

I think the more fundamental problem is that certain courts do appear to be showing bias.

If you didn't have any biassed courts, jurisdiction-shopping would pretty much[1] be a pointless exercise...

Vic.

[1] The only time this could make a difference is when one party is sufficiently financially disadvantaged by the selection of a court that he cannot fasibly continue. Courts should take note of this sort of thing.

2. Eric Olson

One needs to remember that in the United States, the District Courts are under the precedence set by the Appeals Court they are part of. So if there is a certain way things are done, rulings that have not been overturned, or just a general sense of "expertise" based on a lawyer or firm's experience with a certain court, an entity will file a lawsuit in what they think is home turf.

The odd thing here is that unlike other types of litigation, patent lawsuits have their own Appeals Court, which is the Appeals Court for the Federal Circuit. They have established a set of ground rules for jurisdiction, and it seems to include a test that looks for both parties doing business in the jurisdiction. Heartland does not do direct sales, have offices, or even registered in Delaware, but apparently they have a couple of national contracts who ship the "accused products" into Delaware, which according to the court means that jurisdiction of the Delaware court is established. Seems like a bit of a stretch, but those are the rules.

Normally if two Appeals Courts come to different rulings for cases with similar facts (see the same-sex marriage and Obamacare cases), the Supreme Court will step in and adjudicate the matter, thereby setting nationwide precedence. But since there is no other Appeals Court with the jurisdiction to hear patent cases, I'm not sure how that would work. It seems like it would take some pretty strong evidence of misinterpretation or misrepresentation of Congressional intent to force the Supreme Court to step in. The only remedy here is specific legislation to override the precedence.

1. a_yank_lurker

@Eric Olson - The "losing" side at the appeal court can appeal to the Nine Seniles. The Nine Seniles can pick and chose the cases they take so its not automatic to get a hearing. They do not need an appellate court split to take a case but the case (normally) has to have an appellate decision.

1. Eric Olson

The "losing" side at the appeal court can appeal to the Nine Seniles. The Nine Seniles can pick and chose the cases they take so its not automatic to get a hearing. They do not need an appellate court split to take a case but the case (normally) has to have an appellate decision.

You're right in that it's not needed. However, the Supreme Court does get 7,000 or so appeals each year, hearing arguments in about 80 and issuing rulings without hearings for about 50 more. 130 out of 7,000 means your case must have some serious issues that require attention if there is no split among the Appeals Courts. Since the Appeals Court with jurisdiction over Patent cases relied on their own interpretation of precedent and legislative acts, the only route to change is getting Congress to change the rules of jurisdiction.

4. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Stop complaining and do something about it...

Apply for a 'Business Model' Patent on "venue shopping" for a friendly court.

Then you can sue the patent trolls for violating your patent.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Stop complaining and do something about it...

I'm picking up your bar tab for the night and taxi ride home. You sir, are a genius!

5. Grumpy Fellow
    Stop

Wait just a minute

Most of the corporations in the United States are incorporated in Delaware in part because they have an excellent corporate law system that is fair and business friendly. Delaware has more corporations than people. When a corporation avoids Delaware courts I suspect there is something going on other than a concern about fairness of the decision.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Wait just a minute

So what? Not ALL of them are chartered there. This ruling basically says states now have federal powers.

2. a_yank_lurker

Patent law is federal not state court so the nominal state of incorporation has nothing to do with this other it might make it technically correct to sue in Delaware not Texas if the defendant is a Delaware corporation.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Dammit, yes you're right, a_yank_lurker. My mistake. Long day yesterday.

Not state.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Er.... wait a minute....

Remember that SCO was incorporated in Delaware and the case against IBM still has not been finally put down. Yeah, I know the case was in Utah but the rump of SCO is still breathing in Delaware.

SCO filed Suit in 2003.

So Delaware must be where the crap companies go to be incorporated. They know full well that their courts will protect them for ever and a day (or as long as the Judge re-election campain contributions keep rolling in).

Justice US Style : As good as how much you can pay for it.

anon just because I have to do business in Delaware.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"excellent corporate law system that is fair and business friendly."

Alternatively, Delaware has the most corrupt corporate law system so that the local courts can make the maximum profit from legal cases brought there.

4. DavCrav

"Most of the corporations in the United States are incorporated in Delaware in part because they have an excellent corporate law system that is fair and business friendly. Delaware has more corporations than people. When a corporation avoids Delaware courts I suspect there is something going on other than a concern about fairness of the decision."

And many corporations are registered in the Cayman Islands because of the nice weather? I think you'll find it's the lack of transparency that's the reason most of them are there.

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge

"Lack of transparency" is "fair and business friendly" that is why they go to Delaware.

5. Donn Bly

This isn't a patent troll case - in this case both defendant and plaintiff are real companies that manufacture and distribute goods, and have done so for many years. This is a straight up infringement case.

Also in this case both the Defendant and the Plaintiff are in Indiana -- yet the Plaintiff wants to sue in Delaware court. That was the issue here. Convention holds that you sue in the district where the defendant resides.

(disclaimer: I too am in Indiana - which is why this case caught my attention)

6. ecofeco Silver badge

Merkins, whatcha gonna do?

You have problem with Corporate Communist Capitalism©®™, comrade?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Merkins, whatcha gonna do?

While no -ism fully describes the complexities of the real world economy in America right now, crony capitalism is a good start.

Heavy collusion between corporations and state, distorting the legal system so that big businesses have preferential access to the law, over small businesses and individuals.

The classic left/right argument is about what extent to redistribute wealth, but that argument is kind of moot if all the wealth is basically being looted anyway.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Merkins, whatcha gonna do?

Fascism would be the correct description and has been since the U.S. Supreme Court grant corporations equal protection under the law in 1886. Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad Company, 118 US 394.

This more or less gave corporations early person-hood, a condition not needed as the whole point of incorporation was limited liability in the first place.

My little joke about Corporate Communist Capitalism is only to make people aware that American corporations have far too much power and little real* accountability and have successfully obscured this fact with bingo word salad.

*beyond fines and and regulations and audits, they can literally kill people and still stay in business while the leaders can escape any jail time as long as they were not personally caught stealing or committing outlandish fraud. Regular fraud gets a stern warning.

7. a_yank_lurker

A paraphrase

To paraphrase a spaghetti western - "Justice, we don't need no stinking justice".

8. Tom 7

Looks like someones got a leap on them though:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2084755-computer-generates-all-possible-ideas-to-beat-patent-trolls/

I did similar with copywritten works - a hot cup of tea mapped to a dictionary produces any written work when searched for. Turned out someone had beaten me to it!

9. Snowy Silver badge
    FAIL

If you do not want to be sued in Delaware...

do not do any business in Delaware. That would include shipping anything into Delaware. You would also have to sued anyone who tries to ship into Delaware in the form of a grey market!

10. ecofeco Silver badge

I see the lawyers have shown up

Along with the defenders of patent trolling, I see the lawyers have shown up.

What? Still not enough fascism for profit for you?

11. jake Silver badge

So much for the concept of "Blind Justice".

Somewhere, Justitia and Prudentia are spinning ...

12. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like