back to article FBI agents 'abused Patriot Act powers'

The FBI repeatedly broke the law by secretly accessing information about US citizens under a law passed to curb terrorism, according to the Justice Department's Office of Inspector General in a report that prompted a sharp rebuke from legislators and civil libertarians. The violations included demands for personal information …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Marsden

Never mind...

So what's the problem?

After all, I'm sure none of the people whose information was illegally obtained has anything to hide, so they don't have anything to worry about.

Do they...?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do people wear clothes?

"I'm sure none of the people whose information was illegally obtained has anything to hide, so they don't have anything to worry about."

Why do people, even in hot weather, even indoors in warm shopping malls, wear clothes? They have nothing to hide, so why don't they strip off and walk naked? Even if you ask them to strip, they don't, why is that? Shouldn't a police officer be able to ask a person to strip in the street just in case they have a concealed weapon, WMD etc.?

Are people ever arrested, charged and then found innocent?

How can that be? Isn't the arrest process perfect? How can there be dispute as to whether they were doing anything illegal? A police officer says they were doing something illegal so of course they must be! Ahh, but the police officer could be wrong.

Are people ever arrested, charged, found innocent, then the police claim they are not looking for any other suspects? A smear that affects that person for the rest of their lives! So are police perfect, or do they have nasty human traits like racism? Sexism? Anger? Hate? malice?

So we're watched by an imperfect system, and given rights to protect us from those imperfections. Nixon is dead but his ghost lives on.

3. Dillon Pyron

Freedom vs "security"

Once we give up a freedom, we will never get it back. And when our freedoms are gone, those who wish to forcibly change our way of life will have won.

I have nothing to hide, but if a cop asks to look in my car, I will say no.

4. duncan parkertron

problem

I'm not sure the issue is about having anything illegal to hide really. I think the worry is what an FBI individual could do with the information, such as blackmail a closet homosexual Mormon for example.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Abusing the system ? naaaaaahh .. they'd never

FBI ?

They operate above and beyond the law.

Like any other spying agency.Law dosent interrest them .

All they are interrested in is to acheive the results they are

told to acheive by the White House.

Period.

They dont care about laws .. never did , never will

Anything else you hear is feed for the fish.

6. Pizzle Shiznit

Going round to Graham Marsden's place...

Gonna take all his curtains down

& remove all his doors

Who's with me!

;^)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Want your freedom back?

Pick up a gun! That's what it took the first time around.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like