back to article Heathrow Airbus collision 'not a drone incident'

The UK's Transport Secretary, Patrick McLoughlin, has told Parliament that what was thought to be the Britain's first recorded incident of a collision between a UAV and an airliner was probably "not a drone incident" after all. A British Airways Airbus A320 flying in from Geneva was approaching Heathrow airport on 17 April …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Coat

But they did drone on and on about it.

1. g e
      Childcatcher

Add 'em to the list...

Terrorists, Paedos and now the new ultimate horror - drones.

2. Schnoerkelman

Those nasty plastic bags again

I'll bet we don't hear too much on the rest of the media outlets that no drone was involved. And if we do, at least here in GoodOldGermany, you can be certain it will come with a call to ban plastic bags (which is already a headline theme).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Those nasty plastic bags again

I would say a very enterprising plastic bag to be flying at 1,700 feet.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

"I'll bet we don't hear too much on the rest of the media outlets"

BBC reported no drone involved long before Reg.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Facepalm

...but on the report I listened too, they did then go on to mention other reports as well as one from an Airbus pilot who reported a near miss of between 20-100 feet of a "black drone with a red flashing light". Apparently this occurred at...wait for it...20,000 feet!!!

WTF? I wonder if he saw what is commonly referred to as a retail drone, ie a quad/hex/ocatacopter or if he saw a Reaper or similar? Are there *any* drones available to the public capable of reaching 20,000'?

3. WraithCadmus
    Joke

Ryanair

Ryanair tried to charge all passengers 5p for providing them with a plastic bag of course.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Ryanair

Actually, I bought some duty free on the plane and they didn't charge for the bag. It's about the only f***ing thing they didn't charge for, tbh.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

In an appeal for witnesses....

Just in case there was anyone hanging around, minding their own business at 1,700 feet and happened to notice what went on.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Perfectly reasonable to assume there may have been someone testing a jetpack from Richmond Park.

1. AndyS

Lester, where were you on the 17th of April?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Er, let me just check my records... <straps on jetpack and flies to North Korea>

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yes, and whatever did happen to that SPB plastic bag hot air balloon project. Or The vulture-shaped Chinese lantern?

2. hplasm
        Happy

"Perfectly reasonable to assume there may have been someone testing a jetpack from Richmond Park.

Is that a SPB future thing? A confession, perchance...?

Need a 'fingers crossed' icon.

3. Robin

"Perfectly reasonable to assume there may have been someone testing a jetpack from Richmond Park."

"Fenton! FENTON! FENTON! Ohh Jesus Christ... FENTOONNN!"

5. MT Field
    Mushroom

Ban them all!

Drones are to kite flying as jet skis are to windsurfing.

Like all forms of motorized witchery they must be abolished using the full force of all that is holy!! Lest we be cast into the pit and consumed ourselves!!!

1. PNGuinn
      Boffin

Re: Ban them all!

Hmmm ... Don't suppose anyone ever flies a kite anywhere near Richmond Park?

Don't tell me - string was cut by a bloody drone ...

1. MT Field

Could have been a flying Fenton?

Most kite flyers respectfully observe the 200m ceiling.

2. Chemical Bob
      Devil

But birds are a greater risk, Shirley we should kill all birds!

6. Elfo74
    Trollface

near-misses

"Pilots can see that drones can be useful and fun to fly, but these near-misses are becoming too regular an occurrence."

Doesn't he mean near-hits?

<after seeing 2 airplanes collide in mid air> "Look! They nearly missed!"

1. The IT Ghost

Re: near-misses

I was wondering about that, as well. "Near-miss" does imply they failed to miss, ergo, they did hit. "I nearly missed my flight" clearly means you actually did catch your flight, but only barely.

This airliner collided with a UFO. As we learned from the BOFH years ago, a UFO is not, by definition, necessarily extraterrestrial in origin. The authorities have admitted they do not know what it was (so its Unidentified), it was aloft in the air (therefore, Flying) and demonstrably is an Object, and therefore, logically, its a UFO.

7. Dave 15

What next

Does make you wonder what excuse they will come up with for the next ban or tax...

Perhaps it was a high flying sugar bag?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still, I think it's time this is tested properly

I'm glad there was less risk, but I'm not buying the "no risk" assessment until such time as someone has done actual tests and had a few drones mulched by jet engines.

The only risk there is that any reports of survivability may encourage the idiots to come out in droves, at which point you'll end up with the exact flock problem that turns a birdstrike into engine soup.

Stop the assumptions, get some facts. It's time for a new episode of "does it blend", but with more expensive blenders.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Still, I think it's time this is tested properly

Modern passenger aircraft will likely survive any single drone strike, but even so each incident will be expensive and if there is an ingestion then it will be $millions.

Got to try and keep the quadcopters out of the hands of morons. Not an easy task considering some of our 40+ hour course trained licensed private pilots who have passed written tests in air law and navigation, passed a flying navigation test and separate skills test - still manage to blunder without knowing it into controlled airspace with tedious regularity.

1. The IT Ghost

Re: Still, I think it's time this is tested properly

It would help considerably if the restricted airspace didn't change every time a bureaucrat has heartburn. There are static ones around airports and high value targets, of course, but others change constantly. An example is in Arlington, Texas. For just one day, there is a 31-mile radius exclusion zone (for manned aircraft and drones) centered around Levi Stadium while the Super Bowl is played. The next day, the exclusion zone vanishes. So if you fly out of a regional airport 30 miles from the stadium...you can't fly *anywhere*...nor can you fly home if you're away. And if the government's spies hear "rumblings" and they raise the terror alert level from Sky Blue to Mauve, the exclusion zones suddenly bloat up all over the nation...then shrink down again for equally mysterious reasons a day or two later. Other zones that didn't exist just pop up then disappear again. By the time a pilot actually plots a course, calculates fuel burn, gets a weather report, factors in the winds, and then plows through a huge pile of NOTAMs to ensure the flight is legal, he may as well just drive in his car and be done with it.

9. Peter Prof Fox

Bird strike reduction plan

Get the airport to fly screachy, threatening drones where the seagulls like to rest.

10. martinusher Silver badge

Reality Check

The air is quite active as any glider pilot will tell you. Most of us in commercial airliners only notice this as turbulence -- a heavy plane flies quickly through moving air which makes the plane jump around a bit -- but if you're relatively light moving air can grabl quite large objects and carry them to considerable heights. These objects are usually trash -- bits of paper, plastic bags and so on -- but they can be as large as a cardboard box in a strong thermal. Thermals can also grab model planes and carry them off -- sailplane fliers look for them but sometimes they're so strong that its difficult to keep the model under control -- so I wouldn't be surprised if someone reported a model at a considerable height. However, you do need light things, stuff that you could imagine being blown around because its got a relatively large surface area for its weight. The typical drone -- quadcopter -- won't get carried off because its not in the slightest bit aerodynamic (its brick like properties is what makes it a stable camera platform) so its only likely to be flown under user control. Since you can't actually see the thing at any decent height its likely that these reports of drones at altitudes are bogus (...and you can't see that much out the front of a plane traveling that fast anyway...its only 100-200mph, not particularly fast, but way faster than humans can perceive).

1. Vic

Re: Reality Check

but they can be as large as a cardboard box in a strong thermal.

That would have to be one hell of a thermal. You're not going to see any aircraft flying in such conditions...

The typical drone -- quadcopter -- won't get carried off because its not in the slightest bit aerodynamic

If you're in a thermal, the whole air column is moving. So a drone which is able to balance its own weight - i.e. one which can fly - will get lift just as any other aircraft would.

Vic.

1. Ted Treen
        Alert

"but they can be as large as a cardboard box in a strong thermal.

That would have to be one hell of a thermal."

Depends on the cardboard box:- they come in sizes from smaller than a matchbox to the size of a packing crate - and in materials from very light card to multi-ply heavy duty stuff.

1. Vic

Depends on the cardboard box:- they come in sizes from smaller than a matchbox to the size of a packing crate - and in materials from very light card to multi-ply heavy duty stuff.

Indeed they do.

And how many times have you seen a cardboard box lifted by a thermal? IME, it only happens directly above a bonfire - and even then, it won't attain much height.

Vic.

2. Oengus

I work on the top floor of a high-rise building and often see plastic bags flying past. You can watch them climb for ages. I can quite understand how they could easily get to these heights.

Why is it that people are almost always ready to jump to the "populist" conclusion. If there are stories of people behaving badly with drones the immediate conclusion is that an unidentified close call with an aeroplane must be a drone.

A drone that could reach the reported heights would be an expensive piece of kit that the owner would be most interested in keeping safe.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

"populist" conclusion

The pilots and the airline industry in general will be very anti-drone and will look for any opportunity to get publicity against them.

Another incident a couple of months back involving a laser being pointed at a plane climbing out London. The pilots noted the laser and then continued their flight for a further hour or more before one of the crew became unwell past Ireland and over the Atlantic. They then turned about and flew all the way back to their starting point. The pilot being unwell was linked in the publicity to the laser incident, this was a tenuous link at best.

Of course flying drones near airports and pointing lasers at aircraft is moronic, but crying wolf is also not helpful.

11. Dieter Haussmann

Told you!

12. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Hmm. Makes me wonder how many UFO sightings were due to stray bin liners.

1. Dave Bell

UFO sightings aren't the big thing they used to be, and maybe that sort of light plastic bag wasn't so common than they were. But it's interesting that UFOs only really got going after WW2 got people interested in spotting enemy aircraft, and before that war it was more often reported as mystery airships.

It's also interesting that here in the UK, there has been a much more nuanced UFO movement than in the USA. Maybe some of the roots of that difference can be laid at the feet of the Luftwaffe. As a nation, we needed to know some pretty specific things about what was flying overhead.

That's dropping out of living memory, whih is suggestive about the drones.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Happy

"UFO sightings aren't the big thing they used to be"

Yeah, funny that. Might have something to do with all the high resolution cameras so many people have in their pockets. It scares the UFOs away.

13. DonatelloNobatti

That was not the drone that you're looking for....

14. DonatelloNobatti

That was not the drone

that you were looking for

15. a_yank_lurker

Its a drone, its a baggie,

How about a bird? The initial reports reeked of posturing and blaming the latest scare dejour. The other suggestions of a cardboard box, plastic bag, etc. are eminently more likely and reasonable. Go with the reasonable not the scare dejour.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GPS exclusion zone

Anon for a reason... I have a drone, the one that is the most popular make, which has mandatory GPS functions. One of those functions is an exclusion area for all airports and restricted airspace.

So unless the morons have managed to recode their drones, I'm not sure how they could even get them into the airspace in the first place! Maybe throw it?

17. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

So, back to 'Once in 1.87 million' years then...

Carry on...

18. John Tserkezis

Heathrow Airbus collision 'not a drone incident'

"No evidence of UAV impact, investigators say"

But we're going to blame them anyway, because they're the trendy scapegoat today.

19. Brian Allan 1

'... a US study published in March claimed the risk from drones has been wildly exaggerated, with birds being a far greater menace."

Let's have the FAA institute strict regulations regarding where birds can fly and how high! Sounds about par for the course on stupid regulations!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like