back to article UC Davis chancellor suspended after headlines like this one undo $175,000 online name-scrubbing efforts

Linda Katehi, the chancellor of the University of California, Davis, has been suspended pending an investigation into the decision to spent hundreds of thousand of dollars improving Google search results for her name, amid a range of other questionable activities. The decision to put Katehi on paid administrative leave was …

1. Alistair
    Windows

Is that where Janet went.

Perhaps this is another susan?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is that where Janet went.

Or a Carly?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is that where Janet went.

where Janet goes the waft of Aqua Velva follows.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" Linda’s professional reputation "

Only she doesn't have any anymore.

1. Notas Badoff

"They live again!"

An older friend of mine, a professor elsewhere in CaCa-land at the time, was tear-gassed by the state police on the orders of a certain ex-actor then governor named Reagan. Seemed the students on campus were getting uppity.

Don't tell me PR agencies can't rewrite history so well that an arch-nazi-conservative can't move on to bigger and better accomplishments.

They'll get her on nepotism, agreeing under the table to skip all the other stuff she shouldn't have done and they should've noticed to begin with. Phoo.

3. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Trollface

is this a new twist on or corollary to

the Streisand Effect? Perhaps we could call it the Indirect Streisand©®™. The article seems to indicate they were trying to pad positives to balance out negatives - as opposed to a more conventional Streisand Effect; i.e. the results from attempting to actually REMOVE negatives.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: is this a new twist on or corollary to

No, the phrase she uses of trying to "balance out" is absolute bullshit. They were in fact, trying to REMOVE all references.

4. Shadow Systems

"Linda’s professional reputation"?

Linda, your reputation is mud. You did it to yourself. It's nobody's fault but your own. The proverbial falling on one's sword won't help you unless you do it literally.

Hiring your own family members in blatant nepotism & at pay ranges that make a tech tycoon's look paltry in comparison.

Ordering the pepper spraying & beating of students gathered in peaceful protest.

Using Uni funds for personal expenses that had nothing to do with your job & wouldn't pass the "sniff test" of anyone's ethics committee.

Then paying a ludicrous sum of money to try & cover it up.

ALL of which is being paid for by the students you claim to love so much?

Of COURSE you love them, you're riding in the lap of luxury on the backs of their indentured servitude!

Do the students, the Uni, & the world in general a favor - FOAD.

1. Mark 85

Re: "Linda’s professional reputation"?

This.... ^^^ Well said and it sums it all up nicely. I'm just surprised that she got "paid leave" for 90 days but then, it is state college and not private. One can only hope that any cronies she has will NOT be on the review committee.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: "Linda’s professional reputation"?

"Using Uni funds for personal expenses that had nothing to do with your job & wouldn't pass the "sniff test" of anyone's ethics committee. Then paying a ludicrous sum of money to try & cover it up."

None of which she will be asked to pay back.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Look after your charecter, and your reputation will look after itself

Also you'll save money not trying to cover up shady shit on the internet.

6. psychonaut

Her name

Is it just me....all i can hear is cartman saying it. Kitteh!

7. Youngone Silver badge

Great Lawyer

I'm going to go right ahead and assume lawyer's posturing is the first stage in a campaign to negotiate a huge payout to avoid an expensive court case once UC Davis gather enough evidence to sack this woman.

1. asdf

Nah her lawyer is hot garbage

>"This smacks of scapegoating and a rush to judgment driven purely by political optics, not the best interests of the university or the UC system as a whole," said Katehi's lawyer Melinda Guzman

Fsck that lawyer. Its one thing to defend your client but to try to do so by using the best interests of the students she didn't mind having tazed is beyond the pale (not to mention her client's long history of unethically putting her own interests before the institution). She also sucks at her job because she should be making people want to have sympathy for her client not dislike her more. In fact if she gets a damn dime from the university it says more about the %1 and the injustice system and how divorced from reality public sector jobs are than anything.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Nah her lawyer is hot garbage

"This smacks of scapegoating and a rush to judgment driven purely by political optics, not the best interests of the university or the UC system as a whole," said Katehi's lawyer Melinda Guzman

No it does not. Just look up the birthplace of the nice lady. Once you do, the fact that she employed her daughter in law and promoted her every 3 months does not surprise me any more. In the slightest.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Florida1920
    Terminator

Scapegoating?

Assuming she couldn't manage the jackboot who pepper-sprayed the students, an official statement denouncing the action and fast termination of the rent-a-cop would have accomplished more than all the SEO in the world, and saved her career. Linda is devious to say the least, or she would have figured that out for herself. She may not be a goat, but closer examination may show she has cloven hoofs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Scapegoating?

"Assuming she couldn't manage the jackboot who pepper-sprayed the students"

People in authority who are bending rules are not about to try to rein in the police. It suits the police to have corrupt bosses. Look what happened to Andrew Mitchell when the Home Secretary decided to push back against the police federation.

10. TVU Silver badge

This only goes to show, as with many other previous historical cases, that the subsequent attempted cover up is just as damaging, if not more so, than the original offence. When will those in any form of authority ever learn?

1. asdf

>When will those in any form of authority ever learn?

Sadly in modern society it seems like self delusion is a bit of necessary job skill for being in authority.

1. Oengus

Sadly in modern society it seems like self delusion is a bit of necessary job skill for being in obligiatory on the position description of any job with authority.

FTFY

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Sadly in modern society it seems like self delusion is a bit of necessary job skill for being in authority."

Yeabut! The irony is delicious in this case, what with her being the Chancellor of an institution of higher *learning* and all :-)

2. Mark 85

When will those in any form of authority ever learn?

Never. They didn't bother paying attention in history class.

3. Dave 32
      Devil

> When will those in any form of authority ever learn?

Yeah, just ask Richard Nixon. Trying to cover up for his bungling buddies cost him the presidency.

Oh, wait, you can't ask him; he's dead (Well, I suppose you could still ask him, but if he answers, well, we will all have MUCH larger problems...).

Dave

11. dan1980

Good practice

Okay, so let me get this list of her accomplishments straight:

• Nepotism
    • Using public/corporate money for her own benefit
    • Propaganda campaigns
    • Disregard for those under her care
    • Heavy-handed responses to dissent
    • Lying about the whole lot
    Katehi 2020?

12. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Dear Lawyers,

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why every lawyer insists they will defend their client "vigorously". Do you all use the exact same script template when drafting public comments and press releases?

Here's a tip, offered pro bono.

1. Triggerfish

Re: Dear Lawyers,

Tis missing the lawyer synonymn : Expensively.

13. frank ly

Myopia

Why did it take them so long to notice the breach of 'conflict-of-interest policies' regarding her husband, son and daughter in law? Is it that you're allowed a certain level of corruption (a level which you're never told the exact value) and then get smacked for everything when you go above a certain amount?

The university authorities need a good smacking for allowing all this to happen.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Myopia

That's exactly the way it is. It's often called the "country club" effect.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

At some universities, the nepotism is almost considered a perq. "We really want you to come work for us. So much so, we've even got a position open for your wife!" At both of the universities I've worked at, the nepotism is common enough, it's a standard office joke. I suspect it's just that no one really cares to police the issue, so it becomes an add-on crime once you've done something sufficiently nasty that they need to give you the boot.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"We really want you to come work for us. So much so, we've even got a position open for your wife!"

That can make sense in certain circumstances though, especially with spouses. Would you take a job potentially 1000's of miles away from your spouse, no matter how much it paid? But her bringing in even more of her family is pushing beyond the boundaries.

14. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Living in a bubble

<<< POP ! >>>

15. x 7

Linda Katehi

should be sacked, tarred and feathered

16. rjmx
    Stop

WTF are political optics?

> driven purely by political optics

Is this a new form of upper-class eyewear? Or somebody's autocorrect going off into the woods?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Devil's Advocate

This woman has a master's in Electrical Engineering, with more than a dozen patents. She was a female STEM student back when they were even fewer than today. So she didn't start out rich and shady, she started like us. What does that say? I don't know.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon